Detroit yoots terroize gas station owner



Actually, you're giving me an idea for an anarchist colony... Of course we'd still get taxed but even the tax collectors don't come to that part of town so maybe we'd get away with not paying any for a decade or so... ;)

It could easily be a hybrid of this, though you would be seeking approval from the state. You could set-up a non-profit and enterprise type zone to avoid all taxes, including property.
But I wouldn't go that way - you could find a county with a low current population yet cheap already built infrastructure. Like the places where you can buy abandoned schools and buildings for $1K etc. Do it in a friendly state, low population, where you start such a thing. Soon you could control the County politics and simply eliminate laws each meeting instead of making them, also, because you control the county you could eliminate the majority of your property taxes, if not all. Now you control a lot. You control building codes, infrastructure, etc. Forego state funds and Fed funds for infrastructure etc and move from there. Make it near a water source where the County already has the water rights. Over time you could also place your reps in Congress, State Politics, and likely have enough votes to have Senate representation. Now you can have your hybrid Colony and at the same time cause quite a lot of change on the national level, if for nothing other than joining with RP to block legislation, laws, and all types of regulation etc.

Its all possible and not that difficult to do. Of course this is far from your ideal non state protected situation, but it could be a start. After which the ideas and success would catch on creating more change in other communities.

By the way, I also saw that the Navy is close to making Jet Fuel from seawater - good for Seasteading.
 
Free food to off duty cops, so the place turned into a cop hangout. Nobody ever fucked with him, while the other restaurants in town got robbed.

Good idea. A bank I worked for at one time offered a secure basement area for an excess property room to the local police. same concept. Police
around all of the time.

The neighborhood in CA where I was raised formed an association that simply paid off duty cops to patrol as a type of beat Cop. It worked well and soon the criminals decided it was better to avoid that area. A cheap solution when spread across the entire area.
 
Any of you actually tried to buy homes in Detroit? Or land? Or know anyone who has?

At these prices you can buy a fuckin city block and put a high stone wall around it with electric barbwire with like 10 guard dogs and live like a king.

Not worth it in most parts of Detroit. Taxes are too high and services are non-existent. Plus, if you buy a rental and it sits without a tenant for more than 48 hours it will be completely stripped of all copper plumbing and fixtures.

There are a few areas worth buying into long term - Midtown, Downtown, Corktown and Eastern Market are the only ones I would fuck with but dealing with the ignorant fucks that run every facet of the city just isn't worth it. Easier ways to make money like landscaping with nail clippers.
 
Not worth it in most parts of Detroit. Taxes are too high and services are non-existent. Plus, if you buy a rental and it sits without a tenant for more than 48 hours it will be completely stripped of all copper plumbing and fixtures.

There are a few areas worth buying into long term - Midtown, Downtown, Corktown and Eastern Market are the only ones I would fuck with but dealing with the ignorant fucks that run every facet of the city just isn't worth it. Easier ways to make money like landscaping with nail clippers.




[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aktLRiWXfqg]It's So Cold in the D - YouTube[/ame]
 
Not worth it in most parts of Detroit. Taxes are too high and services are non-existent. Plus, if you buy a rental and it sits without a tenant for more than 48 hours it will be completely stripped of all copper plumbing and fixtures.

There are a few areas worth buying into long term - Midtown, Downtown, Corktown and Eastern Market are the only ones I would fuck with but dealing with the ignorant fucks that run every facet of the city just isn't worth it. Easier ways to make money like landscaping with nail clippers.

This.

You can buy as a non-profit and waive the prop taxes, but never leave anything vacant. Literally close escrow on a sale and hold the money for final work to be completed in escrow if the bank will allow it. Otherwise have it guarded until occupied.\\


Wayne County Tax Auction on Bid4Assets in a couple weeks if you want to play with a few grand and pick up a half dozen homes.
 
"Two yoots..."

cousin-vinny.jpg
 
Soon you could control the County politics and simply eliminate laws each meeting instead of making them, also, because you control the county you could eliminate the majority of your property taxes, if not all. Now you control a lot. You control building codes, infrastructure, etc. Forego state funds and Fed funds for infrastructure etc and move from there. Make it near a water source where the County already has the water rights. Over time you could also place your reps in Congress, State Politics, and likely have enough votes to have Senate representation. Now you can have your hybrid Colony and at the same time cause quite a lot of change on the national level, if for nothing other than joining with RP to block legislation, laws, and all types of regulation etc.
Oh...

My...

...God...

You REALLY don't get the concept of anarchy, do you?

Was Guerilla 100% right to say you are truly incapable of understanding it?

I didn't think so before; the concept seems pretty easy to me... But if you can still type all those words above after reading about Anarchy and Voluntaryism I see no other possible explanation than it's truly beyond your grasp...

Can you really not see that all of that stuff you wrote is Pro-state, and takes anarchists in the exact opposite direction of their goals, really quickly? Or were you just trolling like pewep's apprentice?
 
You could buy up a block, level it, and then build a fortress wall around it. Maybe create an organic farm with greenhouses. Or, if you bought enough land, you could make your own paintball adventure park. Call it Escape From Detroit.

I actually like this idea. We could wall off the theme park but leave a small trapdoor entrance so that a crackhead can scuttle through once in a while. That would make it more interesting, people would pay to hunt crackheads in a Detroit Adventure Park.
 
Maybe create an organic farm with greenhouses.

They have already started doing that. Michigan State University is putting like $100 million into a project to revolutionize urban farming. It's a perfect place to try it out too because it is one of the few places on earth where there is excess infrastructure and excess land, with minimal population.

Or, if you bought enough land, you could make your own paintball adventure park. Call it Escape From Detroit.

I've thought about that several times. In particular, there are some huge abandoned factories that would be perfect. The Packard Plant is the largest abandoned factory in the world at 3.5 million square feet. I'm pretty sure people would come from all over the country to hunt in a place like this:

jBACW.jpg


Packard plant photo stream - interior and exterior photos. This place is like a real life Fallout game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9CjK_-Nso"]The Packard Plant - 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

Or in the abandoned train station:

J6Jsk.jpg


[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdOnF8PEZCc"]Urban Exploring: Michigan Central Station - YouTube[/ame]

I would pay good money to run around like a maniac shooting people in places like this, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.
 
I'd plant treasure chests and shitty skeleton halloween decorations all around that place and charge neckbeards to LARP in it. Sell colored gatorades to them as health and mana potions.
 
Oh... My......God...
You REALLY don't get the concept of anarchy, do you?
Was Guerilla 100% right to say you are truly incapable of understanding it?
I didn't think so before; the concept seems pretty easy to me... But if you can still type all those words above after reading about Anarchy and Voluntaryism I see no other possible explanation than it's truly beyond your grasp...
Can you really not see that all of that stuff you wrote is Pro-state, and takes anarchists in the exact opposite direction of their goals, really quickly? Or were you just trolling like pewep's apprentice?

Yeah. I believe that what I typed is what you guys want right? STFU. Of course I mean that in the same way that I mean would mean, "You're an idiot" - casually, as if amongst friends, without implying the true meaning. Sorry for cursing.

I was describing something a person could do within the system, right now to make change and to advocate for your positions. Of course its not what you want ideally, but it could make for a colony on a hill type situation that is actually a feasible idea and would do more to promote your ideals than anything I have yet to see.

It would also be a base for what I think could be true change within the system that I still believe in. I believe if done correctly you could make change in the current system and set the clocks back to an earlier time. Now of course the purists will say that there should be no state, no rulers, blah lah blah.

I was just giving you something practical. Of course it is easier to say "all or nothing" that way you can sit back and complain, describing your utopia while never doing anything nor making any strides forward.

If you read where Guerilla and I left off in the last thread you should be able to see, once I decided I had to be more precise in language and terms that I have a very firm grasp on your position and what it is you are advocating.
 
I was describing something a person could do within the system, right now to make change and to advocate for your positions. Of course its not what you want ideally, but it could make for a colony on a hill type situation that is actually a feasible idea and would do more to promote your ideals than anything I have yet to see.
So you've learned nothing from the American experiment? Is it completely incomprehensible to you that you start with a little government and after a generation or five your experiment in anarchy now has bases in 210 countries around the world?

Any amount of government + time = A 100% Totalitarian, Orweillian state.


I was just giving you something practical. Of course it is easier to say "all or nothing" that way you can sit back and complain, describing your utopia while never doing anything nor making any strides forward.
This Excuse has kept anarchists working towards Minarchism for far too long. It fails every time... Something new and without compromise is needed, period.



If you read where Guerilla and I left off in the last thread you should be able to see, once I decided I had to be more precise in language and terms that I have a very firm grasp on your position and what it is you are advocating.
inb4 Guerilla's huge Yellow Derps in 3... 2... 1...
 
Or in the abandoned train station:

J6Jsk.jpg


Urban Exploring: Michigan Central Station - YouTube

I would pay good money to run around like a maniac shooting people in places like this, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Aw come on now, good ol' Matty Moroun is gonna restore that remember. He only bought it what like 96 or 97. Last I saw he had replaced a couple of windows and that was about it.

I've been in the Michigan Central Station though, and aside from the bums/junkies that used to live there (I've heard they've done a decent job of getting them out) that place is awesome. It'd be a shame to tear it down, but if he isn't going to actually renovate the dame thing, either sell it to someone who will or tear the damn thing down.

On a side note, yes property taxes in Detroit are fucking crazy high. That's what happens when all the working people leave and they keep passing the huge mills that they do damn near ever year. I love the city and I'd love to set up shop and move over to the Corktown (near the Corner) or Eastern Market area, but there's no way in hell I'd pay those kind of property taxes on top of the city income taxes I'd have to pay, and all for shit to non-existent services.
 
So you've learned nothing from the American experiment? Is it completely incomprehensible to you that you start with a little government and after a generation or five your experiment in anarchy now has bases in 210 countries around the world?

The problem is that your are so deep in your conspiracies and anti-US propaganda you are guilty of what you see in me. You are the puppet.

The system in the US can be changed 100% from the inside out. It is how it was corrupted and yet the mechanism for fixing it is at your fingertips. The little "colony" I described above would be a very powerful step in that direction. But there is one catch. Your ideas have to work and they have to be "right". Otherwise you will never garner support. You will sit in your colony and wonder why no one joins you and then sit around and blame the propaganda, conspiracies, and the puppeteers. Yet the problem is your ideas.

Now personally I can see how a lot of your ideas would be great and attractive, depending on how they are implemented. In fact if done correctly and you dropped all the "crazy" out of it, you could lead a huge reform of this nation. but it is easier to advocate for a pipe dream that has no way of working save for within small groups of rich elites that way you do not really have to do anything.

Any amount of government + time = A 100% Totalitarian, Orweillian state.

Only if the mechanism for reverting back is not codified into law. Oh wait, in the USA it is. Your assumption of the inevitable is incorrect. It was the lazyness of the people that allowed the US to get to where it is now. Oh and the diligence and absolute effectiveness of those that wanted to gain power and take over, they were at work in this country why the diligent slept or "guilted" into compromise.

The US can be what it was meant to be. In fact in many ways it is still a fine country that can be what it should have been from the start. I also reject your argument that it was this great place in the beginning. I think it has had good and bad times.
 
On a side note, yes property taxes in Detroit are fucking crazy high. That's what happens when all the working people leave and they keep passing the huge mills that they do damn near ever year.

The property taxes are destructive. A lot of investors have avoided doing rentals because you can't absorb the cost based on the rents you get, and current owners would rather torch their shit and collect the insurance. Textbook definition of a vicious cycle.

I love the city and I'd love to set up shop and move over to the Corktown (near the Corner) or Eastern Market area, but there's no way in hell I'd pay those kind of property taxes on top of the city income taxes I'd have to pay, and all for shit to non-existent services.

Eastern Market is awesome, if I move my office downtown that's where I'm headed but like you said the property taxes and city income tax are keeping a lot of people from doing just that. Motherfuckers that run Detroit don't understand simple math like 1% from 10,000 businesses is a lot better than 5% from a few hundred businesses. High taxes are the reason there is no tax base from which to provide basic services, lower crime, improve schools etc.

When somebody can move to the suburbs and have almost no crime, great schools and everything works - all while paying less property taxes and no city income tax you get exactly what happened in Detroit.