Disney to acquire Marvel in deal worth $4 billion

Lpdesigner

New member
Feb 27, 2008
472
39
0
lpdesigner.com
Disney to acquire Marvel in deal worth $4 billion | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

The Walt Disney Co. today announced that it had agreed to acquire comic-book giant Marvel Entertainment, creator of such characters as Iron Man and Spider-Man, in a cash-and-stock deal worth an estimated $4 billion.

The acquisition would give Disney access to a library of more than 5,000 characters -- several of whom have inspired major films for other Hollywood studios. Marvel, meanwhile, gains the clout of Disney's ability to take a popular character and make money on it through films, television and licensed merchandise.

“We believe that adding Marvel to Disney’s unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation,” said Disney President and Chief Executive Robert A. Iger.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel, including its more than 5,000 characters. Ike Perlmutter, the comic-book company's chief executive officer, will oversee the properties and work directly with Disney to build and integrate Marvel’s properties.

Iger has shown a willingness to make key acquisitions to bolster the company. In 2006, he negotiated a $7.4-billion deal that brought Pixar Animation Studios, the creator of such successful films as "Toy Story" and "Cars," in house.
 


Thanks for the post.

I'll be interested to see how this affects both the Disney and Universal Studio theme parks in the future.
 
Considering that Beuna Vista has dropped several bands from their distro after people complained to Disney about carrying them and not being "child appropriate", I hate to think what this will actually do to Marvel.

Marvel was pretty much a front runner of creating characters that had real issues, and even creating anti-heroes like Wolverine and the Punisher, after Batman was sanitized in the 60s and 70s (the original 1920s Batman was a raving lunatic that beat the shit out of people).
I get the feeling it's going to kill a lot of the creativity on newer titles, but they're going to fucking milk the 90s crop of characters for movies and child friendly tie ins.

Sorry, but as a comics nerd, this really shits me.
Excuse me, I have some domains I'm going to squat on.
 
Marvel sucks anyways. Just look at how they ruined Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe with a teen rating. Pansies.
 
Universal must be weeping, their $1billion theme park's best area is now about to need a big and expensive revamp.
 
I hope they don't end up softening up the marvel characters so they're more family friendly
 
Is it jsut me or is it a little odd that a comic book company is worth $4 billion?

When I was a kid I figured most comic book companies were fairly small companies. And I figured Mad Magazine was balling and worth maybe a few million cause it had been around and was timeless.
 
Whatever do you mean?
wolviemickey.jpg


I hope they don't end up softening up the marvel characters so they're more family friendly
 
Is it jsut me or is it a little odd that a comic book company is worth $4 billion?

When I was a kid I figured most comic book companies were fairly small companies. And I figured Mad Magazine was balling and worth maybe a few million cause it had been around and was timeless.

They make and produce their own movies now. Also Marvel isn't just comics. It's action figures, cards, cartoons, books, movies,.. you name they made it.
 
Is it jsut me or is it a little odd that a comic book company is worth $4 billion?

When I was a kid I figured most comic book companies were fairly small companies. And I figured Mad Magazine was balling and worth maybe a few million cause it had been around and was timeless.

Character rights I would imagine are a substantial part of the valuation.
 
All this is is media consolidation, any cometitor is bought, this has been going on the last fifty years, same shit has has occured in the music industry almost every major label is now owned by universal.vivendi