Farmville company worth a shitload



dsm56: Interesting.
So, independent of art, how much does it cost to develop a gaming app along the lines of Farmville?

I'm seriously thinking about investing the chunk of change I've been putting aside into something like an app (or a media buy) and don't particularly feel like getting fucked when I go to a developer that figures they can squeeze a 75%-200% margin out of me.
 
Alright i'm building a facebook app by myself right meow :)

If anyone has any experience building them and doesn't mind answering a few random questions please hit me up on aim or pm. MUCH APPRECIATED!
 
heh there's a surprisingly ridiculous amount of money in these games

I haven't done a mmorpg facebook app...yet, but I worked on another similar standalone browser mmorpg game some years back. (anyone remember outwar.com? you had to get hit with one of their spams if you were online back in 2002-2004 ;)

these games are highly addictive and the amount of money people spend on these games is ridiculous. people were spending easily $10k+ a month on points, items, etc.

but running one of these games is not an easy task at all. you don't stand a chance without having a team of experienced devs that know what the hell they're doing. fraud, security and performance issues WILL absolutely destroy you unless handled correctly.
 
dsm56: Interesting.
So, independent of art, how much does it cost to develop a gaming app along the lines of Farmville?

I'm seriously thinking about investing the chunk of change I've been putting aside into something like an app (or a media buy) and don't particularly feel like getting fucked when I go to a developer that figures they can squeeze a 75%-200% margin out of me.

Pretty hard to say, but it's not exactly a complicated program if your developer is good.
The visual part of it (laying out a farm etc) I probably coded in a few days. But of course you need the graphics too.