Film Review: Take Shelter

Fiver

New member
Jan 30, 2009
2,011
12
0
Just saw this tonight and had to come on here and share. This is a great little film that I'm recommending. If you liked Frailty, you'll probably like this as it's the same kind of psychological thriller type of film.

Here's the review at Rotten Tomatoes...
Take Shelter - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyway, go Netflix this and report back with a review if possible.

215px-Take_Shelter_poster.jpg
 


Just saw this tonight and had to come on here and share. This is a great little film that I'm recommending. If you liked Frailty, you'll probably like this as it's the same kind of psychological thriller type of film.

Here's the review at Rotten Tomatoes...
Take Shelter - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyway, go Netflix this and report back with a review if possible.

215px-Take_Shelter_poster.jpg

Great little picture, right up until the last incredibly cheesy scene.
 
******************SPOILERS ****************

















Great little picture, right up until the last incredibly cheesy scene.

What part was cheesy?

I just thought the director left it up to the viewer to decide if the last scene was real or in his head.
 
******************SPOILERS ****************



















What part was cheesy?

I just thought the director left it up to the viewer to decide if the last scene was real or in his head.

Ah, I didn't take that away from it, I took it as a "sixth sense" style twist, and I'm tired of those.
 
Just finished it. I agree that they really didn't have any worthwhile ending to this movie. It should have stopped about 10 minutes earlier. But I did enjoy it, and comparing it to Frailty was a good move :)
 
great movie.

the last scene was metaphorical. it was nolonger just him seeing the coming storm (his illness) but his wife now sees it as well, and for the first time they are on the same page and facing it together.

that's how i took the final scene anyways...

amazing acting on all fronts in this flick. a heart wrenching look at mental illness.
 
great movie.

the last scene was metaphorical. it was nolonger just him seeing the coming storm (his illness) but his wife now sees it as well, and for the first time they are on the same page and facing it together.

that's how i took the final scene anyways...

amazing acting on all fronts in this flick. a heart wrenching look at mental illness.


Excellent analysis. I never realized that the storm is actually a methaphor (duh) but it makes perfect sense.

The daughter and the mother never saw the illness coming until he lost it at the social function. A couple of scenes later on the beach, they both make a reference to the storm.

The last line is interesting. When he sees the storm appear again, he asks her, "Do you see it now?" And she says, "okay." As in "okay, I'm ready to face this."