Free Public Domain Photos



So if I use this on a commercial website and modify it to represent a product I'm not going to run into any problems? Do I need to credit the source ala creative commons, or are these images completely free of restrictions?

I've been considering an istock account but I'm finding a lot of what I need on here..

edit: a lot of these images link to paid stock photo sites.
 
So if I use this on a commercial website and modify it to represent a product I'm not going to run into any problems? Do I need to credit the source ala creative commons, or are these images completely free of restrictions?

I've been considering an istock account but I'm finding a lot of what I need on here..

edit: a lot of these images link to paid stock photo sites.

I don't think you have to quote the original source, I was wondering the same thing but couldn't find it anywhere on the site


Open Directory - Computers: Graphics: Clip Art: Public Domain
List of those

http://www.toon-a-day.com/freebies.htm
Toon animation
 
Dude, the Dmoz link is the only semi-trustworthy one, and even there you need to wonder.

The first link all you have is their "word" that those are PD images, which is worth exactly fucking nothing. I mean look at that piece of shit MFA wonder! And the "Toon" site clicks through to a not found error here.

Sorry, bro- You get what you pay for...

EDIT: Not dissing ya Biz- I just don't want to see any WF's fucked over for a silly picture ;)
 
Dude, the Dmoz link is the only semi-trustworthy one, and even there you need to wonder.

The first link all you have is their "word" that those are PD images, which is worth exactly fucking nothing. I mean look at that piece of shit MFA wonder! And the "Toon" site clicks through to a not found error here.

Sorry, bro- You get what you pay for...

EDIT: Not dissing ya Biz- I just don't want to see any WF's fucked over for a silly picture ;)

yeah sorry about the broken links it's an old bookmark. But as far as the sites goes, the ones in dmoz are just as good imho.

In any case the worst that can happen is you'll get a c&d notice and you just take down the picture (unless it's printed or something, but you have to be retarded to use public domain stuff for that).

I had a thread about how getty's images tried to bill me 900$ for a picture that was used by my designer (quickly retired). I told them fuck to off and haven't heard anything since... There was even a class action lawsuit against them. So no worries ;)
 
Ya Know. I've got this great business plan.

1.) Create copywritten images.

2.) Create sub entity on-line that posts "creative commons" stuff.

3.) Put some of my copy written images on that site.

4.) SUE THE SHIT OUT OF ANYONE WHO USES MY IMAGES.

Just food for thought for anyone not at least purchasing from big stock photo. The costs are negligible for some peace of mind.
 
Ya Know. I've got this great business plan.

1.) Create copywritten images.

2.) Create sub entity on-line that posts "creative commons" stuff.

3.) Put some of my copy written images on that site.

4.) SUE THE SHIT OUT OF ANYONE WHO USES MY IMAGES.

Just food for thought for anyone not at least purchasing from big stock photo. The costs are negligible for some peace of mind.

there is wankers who do this
 
this may be old news to some of you as well, but you can search yahoo images for commercially available images.

Yahoo! Image Search

Click on "Options" -> "Advanced search" and you'll find a checkbox for it. They're mostly CC stuff from Flickr with commercial reuse (most will require giving credit).