Fuck Godaddy

I've never had any issues with GoDaddy (knock on wood). I even run some high volume sites with their hosting and never had any issues. Hopefully it stays that way.
 


GoDaddy FTL

One of my friends wanted me to hook him up with a .com and Wordpress. Of course he insisted on using GoDaddy. FML
 
heh, just my graphic design related banner. Lucky I don't host my domains in godaddy or else I would assume I get emails and shit from them ?

oh you'd get letters in the mail too. when I had domains with them (been transferring away near expiration) I would get 2-3 letters for each domain within a month or so of expiration. I got 5 letters in the mail one day from them. I don't know if it was a mixup and they just didn't put them all on one envelope or what, but it was still 5 different letters.
 
"Fuck Godaddy" type threads keep popping up here on WF.

Having yet another one pop up is kind of shameful. Why the fuck would you still be using them?
 
I switched from GoDaddy to real hosting a while back - still need to move some sites but whatever...

Anyway, I had 10 domains that were up for renewal. I only wanted to keep 2 of them so I made sure those two were taken care of and let the others expire.

GoDaddy was kind enough to reset my auto-renew options and charge me $40 on my card.

On top of that - they charged me like $8 for a .info domain. WTF?

Fortunately they refunded the cash after I got them on the phone. And then the motherfuckers sent me instructions on how to turn off auto-renew, which was NOT TURNED ON IN THE FIRST PLACE.
 
overpriced

If you don't include the free privacy (though you do get it on bulk orders) they are actually often quite a bit cheaper than NameCheap, especially if you have a few domains with them... all my .coms for example are $3 less than list price.

I think the interface is one of the things that drives me to hate them. "Do you want to look at this? Too fucking bad, check this out!"

The site is kind of sucky, but their domain management tools are great and their "total DNS" controls are superb.

Not when I need privacy. I can go Namecheap, or even Dreamhost includes it in registration costs.

You can get this in bulk orders for free with GD.

A couple years ago GoDaddy told me that I had 30 days to transfer a domain or I'd lose control over it. But I couldn't fucking transfer the domain name because GoDaddy makes you wait 60 days after registering a domain before you can transfer it.

I haven't used them since.

This is pretty standard practice. GD will also remove it if you simply call them.

Their privacy isn't even private they auto roll over to almost any requests

All privacy services will fold at just about any legal request.

Upsells? Shit you guys make me laugh. A company not doing upsells, especially when they offer a shit ton of services other than domain registration, isn't doing its job.

What's so difficult about hitting "no thanks" once or twice during your order?

On top of that once you get a few domains with them they assign you an account executive and big discounts. This guy handles all my registrations, renewals, applies my discounts, cancellations, refunds, removes locks, etc. etc.

Back before I knew about bulk domain checkers I had him run 20,000-40,000 domains through their system a couple of times and return me the ones that were available in neatly organized spreadsheets.

I know there are some horror stories out there about GoDaddy, but for general day to day use I don't understand all the hate.
 
You can get this in bulk orders for free with GD.

Why the fuck should we have to buy in bulk to get free privacy? We aren't all huge domain bulk buyers.

BTW name.com has free privacy (i believe even longer than a year) and typically can get better prices than namecheap.
 
I just tried goddady for first time because uncle asked me to work on his local business site. I was raging within 5 minutes. It's like they tried to make it suitable for average joe shmoe, but in doing so failed to make it suitable for experienced users and still failed to make it noob friendly.

namecheap is the way to go for domains, cheaper, free whois, and their dns transfers are instantaneous. for hosting I use nearlyfreespeech which lets me host my sites for like a dollar a month, has super simple site design and all options readily available.
 
Godaddy called me, and tried to get me to renew all my domains at once for like a dollar off each. Even ones that were 6 months or so from renewing.

Then the guy starts getting nosey, "so what are you doing with all these .info domains???"

NONEYA FUCKING BUSINESS
 
Omfg I have to actually go through a verification process where they call me and give me a pin to setup ssh...and I can't change permissions except in their shitty ass UI?

Does anyone know if they give refunds for hosting if it was recently bought?
 
"Fuck Godaddy" type threads keep popping up here on WF.

Having yet another one pop up is kind of shameful. Why the fuck would you still be using them?

I'm not. A client had their hosting and prepaid like $600 for 5 years, so he doesn't want to switch (which I understand). I just hate Godaddy.

Now the DNS has been "resolving" for 4 days straight to the hosting and I can't access the domain specific control panel.
 
@PapaJohn
I only use Godaddy for registrations... once you know how to avoid all those upsells its pretty affordable + affiliate on CJ => click your own banners => Register = immediate cashback.

The rest of their services suck.