Godaddy just lost me as a customer :(

kaisdavis

Banned
Nov 27, 2009
65
0
0
Oregon
I had registered a domain name for a friend and when it came to renew it, he said to let it expire. Godaddy called, I told them I didn't want to renew the domain, they said 'alrighty!' and that was that.

Today buddy calls and says he would like to renew the domain. 'No problem,' I think. I try to renew it online - Godaddy wants $80 to renew the .com.

I call in 'Sorry sir, it's an $80 fee.'

Well Fuck That. I'm on hold to talk to a supervisor and see if they'll wave it, but I'm no longer sitting happy with Go daddy.

Here's some bondage boobies. It's what takes the pain of customer service hold music away.

1es3ls.jpg
 


It's not $80 normally. The domain is within the redemption period. It has expired, but is not available to register yet. There's almost always an additional fee that comes with this, at any registrar, because redeeming a domain is not the same as renewing it.
 
Yeah, it's my dumb friends fault. Oof. Redemption fees are insane. The best they could offer me is renewing the 5 domains that expire in the next 6 months for 2 years/each and they'd cut the fee in half.

Calling Executive Customer Service now.
 
Just hit the hour mark on this. My friend can bid on the domain in auction or get a new domain name. I'm not putting any more time into this. At least I now know about redemption fees.
 
I'm using dynadot.com and I don't get charged any redemption fees at all. Not sure if this is for everyone, or because I have bulk purchase status. If one of my domains expires, it sits on my domain summary until it deletes. If I choose to renew it between expired and deleted, I just pay the reg fee.
 
If it's in a redemption status, yes, it's going to be more expensive.

Why the fuck do you care, pass the charge on to the friend and move on.
 
bingo, I shouldn't care. A favor for a friend turned into doing work for a friend. I just emailed him and let him know it was $80.
 
If you have 50 domains you get a special coupon code with namecheap that gets you a discount on renewals as well -- adds up when you've got 4 or 500 domains.

Normally when a domain at namecheap "drops" (like it expired today and suddenly the DNS isn't working anymore) you have a few weeks to renew at normal rates.

Godaddy has to pay for those super bowl commercials and that means they rape you somewhere.
 
Normally when a domain at namecheap "drops" (like it expired today and suddenly the DNS isn't working anymore) you have a few weeks to renew at normal rates.

Same with GoDaddy. Redemption doesn't start the day it expires. It starts 30 days after expiry, then the domain goes into redemption for another 45 days. The whole process before pending delete is 75 days.
 
You have no fuckin' clue how domains work. You are at fault here so stop blaming GoDaddy. If you do this with other registrars you will probably have a much bigger bill than what GoDaddy is asking, retard!
 
Yep,

Twice now my clients let their shit expire with bung registrars, and both had to pay upwards of $250 for it because they were lazy and waited a bit too long - I'll tell you what though, my clients/your friend, will never disregard a domain expiry notice again...