Going ISP-Free

It's obviously theft as it's not yours - and you're using it.

That's not the issue. The issue is that you'll never get caught.

The real point here is: why not just pay for the best BW you can get?
 


It's probably not their fastest service, but it's what they charge $57.99 for.

2 acai trials a month, and you are golden. (with taxes paid!)

In Spain, I pay 60 EUROS ($90) a month for 15meg download... it ends up being about 2-5 down... so consider yourself lucky.
 
I'm happy to pay for my connection. I do all my online banking over it and there's no way I'd do that over some open network to which every idiot in the neighborhood has access.
Same goes for accessing my Sites, FTP, Prosper etc.

On top of that having to rely on someone elses connection and most probably loosing hours every week because it's down or slow seems very dumb.
 
I looked in my Airport list, and saw at least 2 other networks available that I could connect to, but they're weaker.

If they are unsecured they probably also have the default password. I have logged in, installed 3rd party firmware, then boosted the transmit power before.
 
The more I think about it, the less I'm sure it is theft. I'm not responsible for what's in the air, including other people's wifi signals. If out with the ipod touch, and I get a signal and can connect, is it my responsibility to hunt down the source of the signal and tell the owner to shut it down or charge me to use it? I have no idea the source of the signals, and they could very well be free access wifi signals which I know is available at certain points around here. It's not my responsibility to maintain the security of anybody's networks, and if they leech signal they have to close it up themselves.

Stealing a purse from a car with a door unlocked is not only theft, it's also breaking and entering. If I left the purse on a park bench and somebody took it, that's not theft. It's my mistake.

So you left your purse on a park bench and some dude picks it up, and goes and buys an HDTV with your credit card (the apathy level of walmart employees makes that scenario very plausible), is it theft? Your logic of "not theft" seems to rest on the fact that nobody told you not to do something and what you want to do doesn't break any ancillary laws. Back to the scenario, no breaking and entering was involved, and you were not there to tell the dude you did not want him buying an HDTV so it sounds like he is in the clear (the letter of the law may dictate otherwise in this situation as with wifi boosting but we are talking about whether you think this qualifies as theft.)
 
In consideration of the security issue, I'll probably just ditch Verizon and switch back to cable. The ISPs are no more ethical than berry slinging rebills, and it helps being willing to switch back and forth between providers. I love the way they keep ramping up the cost as you get settled in. When you want to cancel or have done so, they float new exciting offers before you to get you back.

So you left your purse on a park bench and some dude picks it up, and goes and buys an HDTV with your credit card (the apathy level of walmart employees makes that scenario very plausible), is it theft?
Thanks again, Captain Righteous. If a signal or whatever else reaches my house it's mine. Like if a neighbor's tree reaches over to my property I can trim it if I want. If the fruit of the tree falls on my side, I can keep the fruit. Using a credit card when not authorized to is not the same thing as finding a purse and keeping the contents.

Bet you didn't know that credit cards are not actually owned by the person whose name is on the card. It's technically owned by the cc company. That's why you're technically supposed to cut up and return a card when you close an account.
 
I hope I won't get flamed for being cheap, but I'm seriously thinking of going ISP-free. For a couple of years I've been using Verizon FIOS, and the connection speed is generally very good. They raised it on my after the first six months to $29.99, then it went to $35.99, then $42.99, then $47.99 and I just got a new bill: $57.99 for just a single month of online service. Holy crying fuck! What a great rebill they have going for them in this economy.

Posting this right now using my neighbors unsecured signal. A little slower, but the job got done. I looked in my Airport list, and saw at least 2 other networks available that I could connect to, but they're weaker. I was thinking of getting a USB laptop wifi signal enhancer.

At this point also I am awaiting an ipod Touch delivery to unshackle myself from the home computer connection and be connected everywhere. No only is the service overpriced, but being shackled to a single provider feels very stale. There is so much open wifi around, I think within a few years it's going to be free for many of us. Also, I believe that if the usb wifi signal enhancers are any good, it would have served well in Vegas at the hotel I was in - which charged $13 a day for freaking DSL. (There was a Starbucks with free wifi across the street.)

I have a lot of affection for you naughty boys and your wicked, industrious ways. ;) What is your opinion of wifi theft? I don't consider it theft if the connection is unsecured.

Opinions, please.

The problem is security, it's to easy for some one else to sniff the packets on an unsecured wifi network. Because internet marketing is how I feed my family I can't risk it by using an unsecured network.
 
I just got a faggoty underhanded neg from papajohn56 who said "theft is theft." The tendency for people here to give knee-jerk negs when they disagree with opinions stifles open debate about issues. I thought the mods here were smarter.
 
-rep

It's no longer good to debate issues here. We can't disagree and discuss without the -reps like little kids fighting in a sandbox.

If you hadn't whined about getting a neg rep I would have never neg repped you.

And you're still the one who thinks it's fine to deliberately connect to someone's network and steal their bandwidth, slowing down their connection speeds that they pay for because you're too cheap to pay ~$50 per month for your own connection.
 
If you hadn't whined about getting a neg rep I would have never neg repped you.

And you're still the one who thinks it's fine to deliberately connect to someone's network and steal their bandwidth, slowing down their connection speeds that they pay for
I whined about the stupid - reps over a reasonable discussion! Why can't we discuss and disagree without the stupid - reps? This is just a debate about a very relevant topic! People who can't argue effectively resort to the lame -rep.
 
What is the exact material there, steel or aluminium?

Edit: Iron
http://trinityhome.org/Home/blog_comments.php?front_id=15&blog_id=60

Would this also work with GSM HSDPA?

Yonder, want to really wicked? You can get one of these
warcart.jpg


Or on a serious note, its probably not that hard to amplify your signal receiver, such as this sophisticated piece of anarchy right here
normal_DSC01187.JPG


Btw, this is being posted from my neighbors connection as we speak as well, lol
 
Using neigbour's wifi was made illegal here in Finland a year ago. Not sure if that really changed something in practice though. I avoid using other people's wifi unless I really have to (happens once or twice a year).

I can't imagine being dependent on neighbour's wifi. If money is the issue just downgrade the speed and pay less.
 
So if you were to leave your purse in the car and forgot to lock the door, and somebody opened the door to take it I gather you wouldn't view that as theft either?

What if a neighbor hooked their hose up to your unsecured nozzle to water their lawn?


lolwut


it's on you to secure your wifi.

stealing a purse in your car, stealing water, noy the same