Help the Hermit Find a New Home

chicago is the best city on earth. bar none. can avoid the insanity while still living in the city limits, transportation is amazing, the people are friendly with a small town feel, and the sheer amount of ethnic groups is great.

wrigleyville in chicago, there's always something to do, you're near a Cubs game in the summer, bars, people, an "L" ride away from anywhere, near the lake, and just all around an awesome spot.

Transportation sucks, the drivers are terrible, the land is flatter than kate hudson, it snows nearly six months a year, the women are fat, there is quality produce anywhere, the steakhouses are crap, the 'lake' is aweful, the cubs are pathetic, the alcohol is expensive downtown, O'hare is always delaying flights due to crappy weather, if you're in the burbs it can take over twice as long to get to work in the snow, the roads are straight lines, the mayor is a cumstain, cook county blows chunks, the clubs are tameeeee.

Boulder or Denver, CO. I think I'm going to be moving back out that way soon. Lots to do, just awesome places all around. Very laid back.

Nice place, very 420 friendly.

Chicago sounds pretty nice. I saw a 500 thousand dollar condo on Ebay that looked awesome. I could have definitely seen myself and my family in there. Plus, I bet the pizza is off the hook! From pizza to steak, I bet Chicago would accommodate it all. I don't know how bad the city itself is though. I'm sure it's not a Cleveland.

The steak is better in nearly any other country.

I don't live in Chicago, but I go there about once a month or so. Your safe wandering around there day or night, depending on where you are. There's just about anything you want there, great food, museums, pro sports, concerts, trade shows. Suburbs can be great also. There's skiing on small hills in lower wisconsin, snowboarding just west of town and lots of stuff to do. If you check it out grab an italian beef at downtown dog.

The architecture is a lame ripoff, the museums are crowded and so so, there are homeless fucktards begging on every single street corner, the trade shows are terrible (Ad Tech Chicago is god aweful and should be shut down especially,) the sport teams are talentless, the concerts are lame compared to europe, the suburbs are full of prude fat skanks, wisconsin has sub par skiing.

On the plus side... Portillos is the best tasting fast food in the country, Lou Malnatis is pretty legit, the streets are clean, graffiti is minimal, blackhawk farms raceway is awesome, autobahn and road america are close by, o'hare is a nice airport when it's not delaying flights, the people are friendly (but still closed minded,) perfect if you like bbw, the buildings are nice if you've never left the country, it's reasonably central for traveling, there is always a white christmas, housing is cheap, there are restaurants everywhere, tax outside of cook country isn't too bad, the cops don't chase anyone over 120mph.

It's a nice place to live for about three months a year, get a condo downtown and spend a few months there, then get as far as possible away for the rest of the year.
 


Thanks everyone for the feedback! I have narrowed down my choices to seattle, portland, denver, boulder, and somewhere in marin county if I can afford it.
 
Chicago sounds pretty nice. I saw a 500 thousand dollar condo on Ebay that looked awesome. I could have definitely seen myself and my family in there. Plus, I bet the pizza is off the hook! From pizza to steak, I bet Chicago would accommodate it all. I don't know how bad the city itself is though. I'm sure it's not a Cleveland.

There's areas you won't want to go to of course, but for the most part, it's a really nice city. Check out Wrigleyville on the north side, and the University of Chicago area on the south side.
 
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I have narrowed down my choices to seattle, portland, denver, boulder, and somewhere in marin county if I can afford it.

Cartman_Hippies.jpg
 
The architecture is a lame ripoff, the museums are crowded and so so, there are homeless fucktards begging on every single street corner, the trade shows are terrible (Ad Tech Chicago is god aweful and should be shut down especially,) the sport teams are talentless, the concerts are lame compared to europe, the suburbs are full of prude fat skanks, wisconsin has sub par skiing.

On the plus side... Portillos is the best tasting fast food in the country, Lou Malnatis is pretty legit, the streets are clean, graffiti is minimal, blackhawk farms raceway is awesome, autobahn and road america are close by, o'hare is a nice airport when it's not delaying flights, the people are friendly (but still closed minded,) perfect if you like bbw, the buildings are nice if you've never left the country, it's reasonably central for traveling, there is always a white christmas, housing is cheap, there are restaurants everywhere, tax outside of cook country isn't too bad, the cops don't chase anyone over 120mph.

It's a nice place to live for about three months a year, get a condo downtown and spend a few months there, then get as far as possible away for the rest of the year.

Lame ripoff architecture and homeless people, sounds like just about any large American city, so don't get your problem there. I'm a Cubs fan and we've had a bad while yeah, but it doesn't make it less great to go to a game. How are the people closed minded, and if you live in the city it's not fat, maybe if you're in certain suburbs close to Wisconsin. Concerts are lame..what? Not everyone likes gay euro house music raves.

Also Gino's East > Lou Malnati's.
 
I used to travel a lot for work, spending extended periods of time in a lot of places.

Of your list, Portland would be my first choice. Assuming you can handle yourself if a half inch of snow falls, you'll be fine. Lots of beer and cool nightlife.

Boulder has a lot of hot eye candy if you can get over living in the same town as CU.

One not on your list I was going to recommend is Philly. Close to NYC, DC, and the beach in the summer. Lots of culture. Amazing restaurants. So so sports teams.
 
I am in the same boat as you though in moving the company and after doing a lot of research I am stuck between Dallas and Bay Area. There are a lot of good areas and a lot depends on what you are looking for in the area whether you are looking for more biz opportunities, better state taxes, women, nightlife, etc....
 
I am in the same boat as you though in moving the company and after doing a lot of research I am stuck between Dallas and Bay Area. There are a lot of good areas and a lot depends on what you are looking for in the area whether you are looking for more biz opportunities, better state taxes, women, nightlife, etc....

There are pretty significant number of differences between the Bay area and Dallas. Is your company a startup type, is easy access to the highest concentration of venture funding and proximity to Silicon valley important? If not I would think as far as taxes, cost of living and business friendliness Dallas would win hands down. But SF is really nice too.
 
I don't care where you go, 12 months in one place blows. Pick two or three. Narrow down your choices and then find some sublets on Craigslist and spend 4-6 months in different places until you find what you want.
 
Lame ripoff architecture and homeless people, sounds like just about any large American city, so don't get your problem there.

The homeless in chicago are a huge pain in the ass. At least in cali they make humorous signs and understand "fuck off".

I'm a Cubs fan and we've had a bad while yeah, but it doesn't make it less great to go to a game.

I've been to around five games so far, all at Wrigley. Even tried it once sober. Soooooo boring....

How are the people closed minded, and if you live in the city it's not fat

Sounds like you're not that picky. Especially in the burbs the women are fatties, or at least have a bit of extra chub going.

maybe if you're in certain suburbs close to Wisconsin. Concerts are lame..what? Not everyone likes gay euro house music raves.

Never once went to any electronic concerts there. Americans don't even know how to mosh properly.

Also Gino's East > Lou Malnati's.

You're the first person I've ever heard who prefers Gino's East. Lou Malnati's sausage pizza ftw.

I'm in SF right now. Here are some of the highlights:

1) You can lane split
2) At events like love fest there are teenage girls walking around in pasties
3) Women on average dress up more before going out
4) Women wear less in general
5) Women aren't afraid of wearing skirts (unlike Chicago women)
6) There is no snow
7) It's close to tahoe for skiing, and vegas for partying
8) It's easy to find decent coders here
9) People aren't freaked out so easily
10) There are multiple places to race within only a few hours
11) I can have a gbit net connection to my door for $350/mo
12) I don't need an airconditioner or a heater at my place
13) It's 420 friendly
14) Online traffic school can be done in half hour, compared to Illinois where it takes the full allocated time
15) There are less straight men, resulting in more single women
16) The women are willing to do a lot more for much less
17) There are mountains
18) You don't get carded for every stupid thing (unlike chicago)
19) It's right next to wine country to get the ladies 'primed'
20) Vehicles are cheaper and last longer
21) It's close to asia for flights
22) It's closest to australia
23) Needs to be mentioned again... NO SNOW
 
Never once went to any electronic concerts there. Americans don't even know how to mosh properly.

hope you're not moshing to anything but hardcore or metal, because like some people "moshing" to Smashing Pumpkins, that's lame. was at Atlanta Metal Fest last year and a bunch of little house shows and such, people know how to mosh, or just get downright violent. saw a girl kicked in the head while on her knees by the bassist while she was already on the ground, that was a bit much. there's no need for people getting the shit kicked out of them and trampled in the pit; moshing can hurt sometimes but it doesn't need to be a bloodbath (or an excuse for some coked up metalhead to punch someone).

SF is not my preferred locale, and I'll stay out of the soccer vs baseball vs football vs pissing contest, baseball is my sport of choice. I like the snow. It's pretty easy to find decent coders anywhere now, I use this thing called the internet