Are there any fish that I can buy that don't require me cleaning out shit from their tank? Basically I'm looking for fish that require little-to-no effort on my behalf besides feeding. Are there fish that eat other fish's poop?
Haha, I was actually being kind of serious, although facetious. I love the concept of having fish, I think they are beautiful, and I could probably sit there and watch them swim around for hours. On the other hand, I dislike the concept of changing their water on a regular basis and scooping out their shit. I am a lazy pet owner.
Check out Opae'Ula... aka known as Hawaiian Red Shrimp or Volcano Shrimp. Very low maintenance. You see them in those sealed domes at Brookstone, but even in an aquarium they require very little care.
Check em out: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACvFCey0xCQ]YouTube - Opae'ula Hawaiian red shrimp in Biorb tank. Micro lobsters, Halocaridina ruba, Ecosphere[/ame]
You can setup your own, but if you're real lazy. This guy sells a kit for $50 or so MICRO-UTOPIA; our newest smallest unit!. Gotta have respect for anyone with a business name like that!
I had a 100g SPS tank about 4 years ago, looked awesome but was such a moneypit and timesucker. My neighbors thought I had a grow op going because of the metal halides I was running in my living room lol. You'll never be able to match the beauty of an SPS tank though IMO. It's the closest thing to having a small slice of the ocean in your home...
Although I loved looking at my beautiful tank, maintaining it was a major pain. I guess I could've hired someone to maintain it but I was too cheap back then to pay for that.