How much is my writing worth?

Logical

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
95
0
0
Hey all,

This is my first post here. I'm a content writer with a year and a few months' experience under my belt of writing both for myself and others. I've been offering my services on other forums, and since I just discovered Wickedfire, I want to bring my services here also.

To the point: I would like to post a few samples of my work and see how much you all feel my writing is worth. I'm a native English US writer and I don't outsource anything. I know how much people will pay for my content on other forums, but since this forum is obviously more knowledgeable and of a higher caliber than others, I may have to adjust my rate to stay competitive. I know that content writers are a dime-a-dozen, but native English writers with significant experience aren't too common.

I've lurked for a little while before registering, and something I've read several times is that a newbie should try to contribute before expecting anything from the community. With that in mind, I'm going to post some practical tips for content writers in my next reply, since this post is already long enough.

So here are my samples. The first two are keyword-based and the third is topical.
---
“I need a car loan but I have awful credit!” This is the discouraged cry that is heard from many would-be car buyers. Is it really possible to get a car loan if you have bad credit? Of course it is; people are doing it every day. However, there are certain things you should know before plunging in and applying for a loan.

Know What Your Credit Really Is

This is one of the most important steps in applying for a bad credit car loan. Do you know that your credit is poor, or do you just think it is? Before applying for any type of credit, you should know exactly how you stand credit-wise, because if your credit is already bad, then you don’t want any false information to make it any worse. This is the great part about ordering and reviewing your credit report. Your report will show every time you’ve applied for and received credit, and how you performed in repaying the lender. You can get a free credit report from many sources online.

Don’t Expect Pity

This is what a lot of borrowers don’t like to hear, but it needs to be said so that your expectations can be on-target. It boils down to this: You know you have bad credit, the financier knows you have bad credit, so they’re not going to give you an amazing interest rate. They’re being merciful enough in granting you a loan in the first place! Don’t be surprised when they nail you with a high rate. It’s common knowledge that people with good credit get low rates, and people with bad credit get high rates – that’s just how life is. The good news is, if you can make your payments faithfully and on time, this loan will improve your credit in the long run.

Think Before You Leap

With that said, it’s important to do some preparation before applying. Will you really be able to make the payments if you get the loan? With the high rates that were just mentioned, it’s better to prepare too much than to not prepare enough. Be ready to set aside an extra amount of your paycheck to make your loan payments. If you get the loan and aren’t able to make the payments because you didn’t prepare enough, then it will make your credit even worse, and you probably wouldn’t be able to get a loan at all next time.
---
So you’ve declared bankruptcy and now you need a loan to purchase a car. If you say that to most lenders out there, they will laugh you out of the office. What’s a person to do if they need car loans but have bankruptcy on their credit history? Here are a couple tips for making the best of it.

Do Some Legwork

To help obtain car loans after bankruptcy, you should try to re-establish your credit beforehand, if at all possible. Yes, the bankruptcy is going to be a huge, ugly mark on your credit report. However, if the lender sees that you have been making payments faithfully on smaller things, like a personal loan or credit card, then that will show them that you’ve improved since filing for bankruptcy. One of the best ways to repair credit is to get a prepaid credit card, which doesn’t allow you to spend money you don’t have, but does report your good behavior to the credit bureaus. Keep in mind that the longer it’s been since your bankruptcy, the better chance you have of getting the loan.

Be Prepared for High Rates

Yes, it’s time to face the nasty truth: if bankruptcy is still on your report, you’re bound to get slapped with a high interest rate on car loans. Realize that lenders call it like they see it, and people with bad credit will always get higher rates; that’s just how it is. Don’t be surprised when you see a sky-high APR. On the other hand, you should have a positive outlook on the whole situation: Yes, your payments will be a lot higher, but if you make them on time anyway, this loan will build your credit and give a good impression to any future lenders. Once you have established a good history with this lender, the payments for your next loan will be much more reasonable. Every cloud has a silver lining.
---
If you're looking for cheap laptops this holiday season, you've probably encountered some headaches with all the stores that keep jacking their prices and don't give you any relief. You're certainly not the only one looking for a decent laptop at a good price, but somehow the millions of other shoppers are managing to get a better deal than you. What gives? The one secret you probably didn't know about is that the Internet has a wealth of affordable laptops just waiting for you to choose from. Here's a few reasons why you would do well to look for cheap laptops online instead of in the store.

First of all, the simple fact is that cheap laptops are much more abundant online than they are in the store. In other words, laptops just cost less online. Why is that? When a company sells laptops online, all they have to do is keep them in a warehouse, already in their boxes, and then just send them out once an order comes through. They don't have to pay people to unpack them, sit them on a shelf in an air-conditioned building, and continuously keep the shelf filled with product. The overhead costs of an online store are exponentially lower than those of a brick and mortar building, so the company passes those savings on to you, leaving you with a final price that's often hundreds less than the same thing you would find in a store -- Not to mention the sales that you'll find with an online company, just like you would with any local store. They have special promotions too, and if you time it right, you would be amazed at how much money you can save!

Secondly, there is a much larger selection of cheap laptops online. If you've stopped by any large department store lately, you know that there's usually only one or two aisles of laptops at most, and even then, it's only a few models sitting on the shelf that you can choose from. How are you supposed to get a good deal with so few options? Has it occurred to you that no physical store would have the floor space to display everything that an online store has to offer? When you shop online, you're dealing with places that have literally hundreds of models to choose from. Could you put all of those on a shelf in a physical store? We don't think so!

The last point is that shopping online for cheap laptops is just more convenient. Who really likes to get up from their seat, get dressed, start the car and drive for miles just to look at laptops? The great part about shopping online is that you can plop down in your comfortable chair and browse for whatever you're looking for, whenever you want. Even if the only time in the day you have is 1:00 in the morning, you can still get on the Internet and shop for laptops! What electronics store do you know that's open so late?
 


Hey Logical, good stuff. You obviously have the ability to write quality content, so that almost guarantees you can charge more than a cent per word. Assuming your support and turnaround times are on point of course.

There are two things you need to take into consideration before setting your rates:

1. Value to the customer - How much more is someone willing to pay for content that will keep the reader engaged, ready to buy, etc. The ability to produce content quickly without sacrificing quality, and keeping your client in the loop the whole time also warrants higher rates.

2. How much your time is worth - It would be easy to charge a cent per word, and bring in a ton of clients. But do you really want to compete with Indians for content that is obviously of higher quality? You could charge twice as much, while working half as much, and still make the same money.

The goal is to find the balance between these two points. Offering a high level of value to your customers and actually making it worth your time.
 
Thanks for the advice Paul, and to the others for expressing interest. How many posts do I need before I can PM? If you're interested in getting some content, hit me up at rockofages152@gmail.com and we can work out a rate.

1. Value to the customer - How much more is someone willing to pay for content that will keep the reader engaged, ready to buy, etc. The ability to produce content quickly without sacrificing quality, and keeping your client in the loop the whole time also warrants higher rates.

I can confidently say that my writing keeps visitors on the page, and if I'm taking a pre-sale approach, then my persuasion ranges from subtle to totally in your face, depending on what the client wants. I can produce articles rather quickly (about 2,000 words per hour if I don't have to do much research), and with Christmas break coming up, I will be online for most of the day. I'm very good at communicating and keeping clients informed.

2. How much your time is worth - It would be easy to charge a cent per word, and bring in a ton of clients. But do you really want to compete with Indians for content that is obviously of higher quality? You could charge twice as much, while working half as much, and still make the same money.

I know exactly what you mean, and I've been down the road of beating through the penny-per-word crowd just to drum up some business. But I've realized that there are plenty of buyers on this forum that not only realize the importance of higher-quality content, but are capable of paying for it too, so I think I'll be able to go a bit higher. I just wanted to get a ballpark figure of what people would pay for my writing, so I find the right balance of being competitive while not shooting myself in the foot by not charging enough.

Now, here are some tips for current or prospective content writers that have helped me personally. They probably won't make your writing better, but they'll help you to be more efficient and a better person to work with overall. In no particular order:

1. Set a definite time for writing. Whether or not you write it down in your schedule, the important thing is that you have it in your mind that "this is my writing time, and I'm not going to do anything but write." Having a definite time lets you know when it's working time and when you can just relax, and also helps you give a more accurate turnaround time to your client.

2. During your writing time, internet access is absolutely forbidden unless you need to do research, in which case you'll just need a lot of self-discipline. I've found that it's way too easy to get distracted by Facebook, games, or whatever else while I'm supposed to be writing. This means I'm not making money when I said that I would be, and no one likes that. I find it best to go to a different room with no internet access and just write. Switch the Wifi off, unplug the ethernet cord, whatever you have to do.

3. If your brain is naturally lazy like mine, then adopt a different mindset to work with it, not against it. If I have a big order of 20 articles to do that I've scheduled for the next five hours, I won't think of it as a huge, looming 20-article order -- I'll think of it as 4 articles that I need to do each hour. 4 articles is a lot easier to manage mentally than 20, and if I get done with them in 45 minutes, then I'll relax and get online for 15 minutes, since I'm done with that hour's work. With 4 down, it makes the next 4 a lot easier to write.

4. An alternate mindset that I've seen endorsed elsewhere is the "time block" strategy, where you set aside an amount of time -- 15 minutes, half hour, whatever -- and determine to accomplish as much as you can in that time. This is also beneficial to the lazy writer, who can think "Alright, I'm just going to work for the next half hour; no matter how much I get done, I'm going to be finished in exactly 30 minutes from now."

5. Along the same lines, take a quick break between each article or sets of articles to recharge. You're not helping yourself by burning through 15 articles in a row, and if you never take a break, your writing quality is probably shot by the last article, which means an unhappy client. Go get a Dew, check your email, get to the next level in Crush the Castle, whatever.

6. I've found it helpful to make a really brief outline of my articles before writing them. This helps me to stay on-topic, and going back to the lazy mindset, it's easier for me to view an article as a collection of hundred-word blurbs instead of a big 500-worder. If I can think, "Okay, I just need to write 100 words for the intro, then just 100 words for the three main points, then a quick 100-word conclusion," then it makes it a lot easier to manage. The outlines don't take forever either -- for an article about "What To Know Before Buying xx Product," this is all I wrote:

intro
reputable store/supplier
know the warranty
handle in person before buying online
outro

...which took all of 20 seconds to think of and write. Not only do I already know the direction I want to take with each point before writing (so I'm not just rambling to fill a word count), but now my article is conveniently broken up into nice 100-word chunks.

7. Last of all, be honest and reliable. You won't last long otherwise. Do I need to say any more?

Well, I hope this post has been helpful to somebody. =)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also offer spinning services. How much should I tack on for a spin-ready article?
 
tl:dr

All I know is you guys are either getting into the eggnog early, or Rage9 really knocked some rough edges off you all with his "Fuck You All" post.

I mean, this kid comes here with 2, count 'em, TWO posts, writes a fucking self-promotional WaFo BOOK post in STS, clearly didn't take a second to read any of the rules, and you guys just kick up your legs and encourage him? Nobody is going to say anything?

OK, I will. Logical- as a "writer", you should know that you have to complete your research before you write anything- you didn't do that very well here. Go back to the forum rules, devour them thoroughly, and see if you can tell me where you fucked up.

Until then, STFU and FUCK OFF.

Yeesh.
 
  • Like
Reactions: iPwnNoobs
Hahaha...that's kind of comical, really.

First: The only rule that you think I've broken is part of #10:

Spamming is also considered when you signup specifically to self promote a thread and your post count is under 10 total.

Am I self-promoting here? No, actually, I'm not. The purpose of this thread is to get an idea of how much I can charge for my writing services here, so I posted samples to that end. Am I saying "HEY I IZ CONTENT RITER PLZ BUY MAI ARTICLZ"...no, not quite. In fact, two people expressed interest in my services without any "selling" on my part, and I gave them a way to contact me.

As far as my "book" goes, I was actually trying to follow the rules (go figure) by contributing something useful while asking for something in return.

Moving on...
 
I would like to post a few samples of my work and see how much you all feel my writing is worth. I'm a native English US writer and I don't outsource anything. I know how much people will pay for my content on other forums, but since this forum is obviously more knowledgeable and of a higher caliber than others, I may have to adjust my rate to stay competitive. I know that content writers are a dime-a-dozen, but native English writers with significant experience aren't too common.

I can confidently say that my writing keeps visitors on the page, and if I'm taking a pre-sale approach, then my persuasion ranges from subtle to totally in your face, depending on what the client wants. I can produce articles rather quickly (about 2,000 words per hour if I don't have to do much research), and with Christmas break coming up, I will be online for most of the day. I'm very good at communicating and keeping clients informed.

Am I self-promoting here? No, actually, I'm not.

soniamdisappoint.xls
 
When I used to write for some extra monies, I charged $2/100 words or two cents a word and I often had to turn down orders due to volume of work. You write on par, if not better than me.

So I'd say you'd be competitively priced at 2 cents a word.