I Have Something of Value To Offer

Thanks for joining this forum! I'm currently working on a product that I might be able to sell via infomercial. I would love to hear your expert thoughts on the following questions:

Which TV media buying company do you recommend?

You mentioned you had 6 upsells. So if someone phones in after watching the infomercial does your telephone operator pitch all 6 during the phone call? If someone places an order online how and when are the upsells presented to them?

How were you able to find your manufacturer in China? Who do you recommend?

Have you tried to get your product on the shopping channels?

Thanks!!
 


Looks like all of your issues stemmed from validation.

Have you heard of the lean startup by Eric Ries? If not, do yourself a favor and buy it for you and your brother to read right now and spend the extra money on overnight shipping.

Validation is the most important thing a startup can do, #1.

I'm currently in a mfg startup - yellowjacketcase.com and we have raised 100k already and spent about 10 total. In the process of getting the final products completed. Moulds just for poured this week!
 
The 3d print costs about $150 so to test it properly with a few hundred sales
there's almost not too much incentive to go that way instead of going directly in to production. What we're in the process of doing though is setting up a full website with a CC submit that will just tell the customer we're out of stock and see the stats that way.

Can you share what kind of conversions are you seeing though from the TV ads compared to what you do on the net? I'm interested in this since we'll probably price our product at around $20 too so the profit per sold piece is around $10-$15. Doesn't really give you a lot of margin for high priced ad placements.

I'll PM you for the contacts.


Setting up your cart to accept orders and card info is good idea....its not illegal to accept credit card info..(if you do it securely, and follow all the security regs) Just don't process the card if you don't have the product actually made.

You can (depending on your stated shipping terms) hold the card...create the product..then process the card and ship the product. That is if you can create inventory quickly (4-6 weeks)


The internet conversion was weak..3-5 percent..(which is main reason I joined up forum.. to learn how to increase this)

The TV we closed about 40 percent of the people who called..which was pretty good from what the industry standard is...We just need more volume now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JoseArmando
Looks like all of your issues stemmed from validation.

Have you heard of the lean startup by Eric Ries? If not, do yourself a favor and buy it for you and your brother to read right now and spend the extra money on overnight shipping.

Validation is the most important thing a startup can do, #1.

I'm currently in a mfg startup - yellowjacketcase.com and we have raised 100k already and spent about 10 total. In the process of getting the final products completed. Moulds just for poured this week!


Yes..good stuff.

My brother is an old school guuy who does everything 100 percent and goes overboard...works in certain business..(service oriented) but did not go well in this industry...

Nice on the start up...I will be sending positive vibes man..Exciting time when the molds are being made.!! sounds like you are going about the right way as well..Validation is more than just your wife and few friends telling you they love your invention ..lol
 
Thanks for joining this forum! I'm currently working on a product that I might be able to sell via infomercial. I would love to hear your expert thoughts on the following questions:

Which TV media buying company do you recommend?

You mentioned you had 6 upsells. So if someone phones in after watching the infomercial does your telephone operator pitch all 6 during the phone call? If someone places an order online how and when are the upsells presented to them?

How were you able to find your manufacturer in China? Who do you recommend?

Have you tried to get your product on the shopping channels?

Thanks!!

There are a few media companies in this area..Direct response media buying agencies..Depends what niche you are in. Some specialize in different areas..Reputation goes along way here.

Direct Response Marketing Company - Direct Response Advertising Agency
Icon Media Direct | Direct Response Marketing Company
Chief Media - Your Business Partner In Direct Response

these are some good media buying companies with good reps in the business..

The phone operators have a script that we wrote with them...walking them thru the process...capturing CC info first...then sell sell sell..

We showed our product to HSN..but they declined due to the fact that they were already selling 2 foot products...this next spring we plan on getting on
 
A couple black dicks never hurt anyone..builds character

Most sig worthy line I've seen in months. Glad you stuck around.

I've seen people lose ridiculous amounts of money going the infomercial route, one guy I know dropped about $350k in building this studio and hiring hollywood actors/actresses/famous personalities (metal mulisha anyone?) to make his shit, then the product sold like ass.

Personally, I'm a big fan of letting someone else test the market, build the product and do the fulfillment while I sit there watching infomercials with a couple keyword research tools open finding low comp plums with surprisingly good volume.

I'm too busy to do it right now so hope that tip helps somebody make some money.
 
Hrmmmmm lemme think about this one...

y083ids0g4eezw8p1j0b.jpeg
 
Most sig worthy line I've seen in months. Glad you stuck around.

I've seen people lose ridiculous amounts of money going the infomercial route, one guy I know dropped about $350k in building this studio and hiring hollywood actors/actresses/famous personalities (metal mulisha anyone?) to make his shit, then the product sold like ass.

Personally, I'm a big fan of letting someone else test the market, build the product and do the fulfillment while I sit there watching infomercials with a couple keyword research tools open finding low comp plums with surprisingly good volume.

I'm too busy to do it right now so hope that tip helps somebody make some money.


I'm with you!! I began to realize that selling things via the Internet seems a lot less riskier and more profitable and less headaches...Im determined to learn how to sell on the Net
 
Reputation goes along way here.

You know what, you're right...

But you should also consider following your own advice.

fGWBb.png


See, your account is not even 24 hours old, and already you're promoting your helping hand here.. In the wrong section... After you got turned out for not reading any rules before.

So. You get a week long ban here now. And then I know I'm probably going to regret it later, because you'll most likely turn out to be some scamming fucker anyway.

And just so everyone knows. His claims of "I'M A NEW YAWKA BRO!" bullshit. His IP logins show he's actually in California. Justsayin.
 
No prob man..I understand..but I assure you I'm not a spammer..

As far as IP address...It can change form week to week..next time I log in it may be from Canada or China..who knows.
 
Im determined to learn how to sell on the Net

I underlined the important part for you. If you can stay in the black with TV time you can learn to sell online.

Sales is sales. The mediums are different, but the fundamentals are the same. Targeting, acquisition, optimizing your funnel, etc etc.

I do a lot of direct mail, I do a lot of online marketing. I have a lot of past experience selling face-to-face. I've helped write infomercial scripts but I'm really interested in learning more in that area.

It won't take you long to figure out how to adapt to the medium.

What caught my attention in your original post is I would have NEVER guessed that your product has the mass-appeal needed to succeed on TV time. That surprised me.

You can be a lot pickier about the demographics that you pay to target online.

Is the video on your lander the promo you use on TV? Have you ran longer spots?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: @Jon: Myself and a few other people suggested he try to add value to the forum, he did this because people asked for it in the other thread.
 
Have you tried Google TV ads?

You need to do some split testing on your sales page. My first impression was "Where's the buy now button?" Might try changing the color of that button to start.

You can do some simple tests using: www.optimizely.com
 
I apologize, but I will have to stop posting..I have broken the rules and have been warned..I will be back in a week after I have read and thoroughly understand the rules and get the feel for how things work around here.

Thanks guys!
 
(talking about Walmart...)
from what I understand, they've subverted the traditional relationship between distributors and retailers, due to their sheer size and massive buying power.

In other words, they'll tell you what they are paying for pumice stones this quarter, and you can come in under that price or GTFO.

This may only apply to more fungible commodities like generic ashtrays though, I'm not entirely sure.
It's worse than this. They ask to see your company books, figure your costs, and tell you what the allowable margin is. See this PBS page.
 
I apologize, but I will have to stop posting..I have broken the rules and have been warned..I will be back in a week after I have read and thoroughly understand the rules and get the feel for how things work around here.

Thanks guys!

hahahahahahahaha. ah man, good stuff.
 
TIL: On WickedFire starting a discussion highly relevant to this business that many people are interested in is bad. At least I'll have more time to implement Pewep's insights now.