If you haven't watched Shark Tank while drunk, do it.

CLKeenan

Banned
Jun 24, 2006
2,506
14
0
Boston, MA
Very entertaining. Way more interactive (you yelling at a monitor). Some people just have no business knowledge. Others, you can learn something from.

/goodnight
 


Saw it tonight. Lulz at the ice cream guys who have no idea about their numbers.

Bunch of idiots.
 
The one episode that did surprise me was the podillow or whatever that thing was called that the SWAT guy came up with. Sure, his numbers were way off but he seemed to be doing everything else right. Already was in 2 direct mail catalogs that wanted more inventory that he needed funding to make. Surprised they didn't just try to change up his original offer instead of booting him off.
 
The last episode was horrible.

The first guy wanted to pay himself 6 figures a year and live the lifestyle. Ice cream guys don't know how to do math. And the two women initially asked for 15% equity...left by giving up 65%.

I don't see why the Sharks deal with this show other than helping brand themselves.

Biggest WTF deal I saw was Marc Cuban giving the I Will Draw a Cat for You guy $10k.
 
Wasn't on shark tank but it's the most depressing business idea I've ever seen

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk]Bulletball - YouTube[/ame]
 
Wasn't on shark tank but it's the most depressing business idea I've ever seen

Bulletball - YouTube

That mother fucker, I invented pretty much the same thing years ago, only called it drawer ball, because it's played in a large drawer and consists of bashing a ping pong ball (or unscrewed drawer knob) with cellphones. Awesome party game, lol.
 
^ how does a table and a ball cost you your life savings?

"I have personally spent approximately $30,000 over the past 26 years in the development of BulletBall (patent, trademark, copyright, attorney fees, prototypes, ball selection, research, etc.). The bulk of my total investment of approximately $100,000 involves my time spent demonstrating the game at various venues (universities, colleges, sport bars, boys and girls clubs, parks, and professional sporting events)"

Holy fuck I'm depressed. Good thing I'm sober now in the morning otherwise I would've kept drinking even more.

To me it's so depressing it actually motivates me to get some shit done fast.
 
I don't see why the Sharks deal with this show other than helping brand themselves.

Biggest WTF deal I saw was Marc Cuban giving the I Will Draw a Cat for You guy $10k.

Barbara Corcoran has a book out that includes a bit about her Shark Tank experience (along with the history of how she built her business off a $1k loan from a sleazy boyfriend). From the book, it sounded like part of her reasoning (aside from publicity, obviously) can be summed up as:

-Boredom
-Desire to help people she views as being similar to her
-Desire to make more money - she specifically comments, "On Shark Tank, I'll often bet on the right person in the wrong business because I know she'll find a way to reinvent the business and make it a success. Picking the right person is the crucial foundation of every deal I do."

Hard to say how much of that is truth and how much is just book fluff...but I thought it was interesting.
 
I don't know if you guys know this, but Mark Burnett gets a piece of EVERY deal that the sharks see, regardless of them investing or not.

Now, that's a shark.
 
Holy fuck I'm depressed. Good thing I'm sober now in the morning otherwise I would've kept drinking even more.

I actually know a guy JUST like this guy now.

62 years old, penniless, his family left him, and he's said to have lost over 150K of investor's money building his dream for twenty years, which is some sort of diet food bar that he thinks he will sell for hundreds of millions of dollars to a big company (just so we're clear he didn't even know what my Basal Metabolic Rate should be when I was talking to him about my diet. He told me it should be around 5,800 calories and I'm 170lbs LOL, and he's also tried telling me that homeopathy means Home Remedy)... He says he a foremost nutritional expert alive though.

It would be funny if he wasn't so damn serious about it... and just to give you an idea of what kind of brain he is, I know for a fact that he's fallen for at least two Nigerian scams since I've met him.

Whenever I talk to him he's talking about investors he's meeting and how he's perfected curing the aging process and will win a Noble for this formula he's made that will reverse the decay of the coral reefs in Oceania.

There's NOTHING you can do to help guys like this, but there are thousands of them out there. Then again, think about all of the people you know with destructive habits and views that they're unwavering over.

The older you get the more you realize that all you can do is watch.
 
I don't know if you guys know this, but Mark Burnett gets a piece of EVERY deal that the sharks see, regardless of them investing or not.

Now, that's a shark.

Can you expand on that? Source? Not saying it's not true, just curious about the details of being on the show. Hell, I'm almost considering applying even if just for the exposure.
 
The older you get the more you realize that all you can do is watch.

I was talking about this very topic with my grandma's husband a little while back (he's a rural self-made millionaire who still hustles in his late 80s). His take? "You should never set out to screw someone over, but you can't stop them from doing it to themselves. All you can do is put yourself in a position to profit from it."
 
the drunk leading to interactive sounds like a good combo i will try that, if there is a show worth screaming at the tv on for, i guess thats the one.
 
Which sharks would you guys wanna work with?

Cuban > Barbara > Roger > Damon > O'Leary

Cuban has the most $, connections, and knows the most about marketing on the internet.

Barbara. Seems that half the updates from the past winners are people who worked with Barbara.

Robert. Looks like the chillest guy to work with.

Damon. Good connections with the fashion / entertainment industry. But every deal he does...he wants like 60% equity and wants you as an employee.

O'leary. Why the fuck is he on the show? I've only seen him invest in like one deal. His only contribution is to ask if they have any sales. This guy looks like he masturbates to pictures of himself. It's hilarious that no one wants to work or partner up with him.

Also Lori's > all of them. Dat QVC connection...
 
Which sharks would you guys wanna work with?

Cuban > Barbara > Roger > Damon > O'Leary

Cuban has the most $, connections, and knows the most about marketing on the internet.

Barbara. Seems that half the updates from the past winners are people who worked with Barbara.

Robert. Looks like the chillest guy to work with.

Damon. Good connections with the fashion / entertainment industry. But every deal he does...he wants like 60% equity and wants you as an employee.

O'leary. Why the fuck is he on the show? I've only seen him invest in like one deal. His only contribution is to ask if they have any sales. This guy looks like he masturbates to pictures of himself. It's hilarious that no one wants to work or partner up with him.

Also Lori's > all of them. Dat QVC connection...

Good analysis. Totally agree with you. I really want to know what it's like to have them as a business partner. Are they an active partner? Or do you just work with one of their underlings?