Is shit with Iran about to get real?



Anyone have a link to the quote from Iran or who said it?

All I see is "ZOMG CLOSING THE STRAIGHT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
 
We will not yield to pressure to abandon our rights ... The Iranian nation will not withdraw from its right (to nuclear technology) even one iota because of the pressures," said Ahmadinejad.
The United States and Israel have not ruled out military action if sanctions fail to rein in Iran's nuclear work.
According to Reuters, yes.
 
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyEJ6Aja-UQ]US General says "They" plan to take over Arab and African countries for oil - YouTube[/ame]
 
The main reason I found it interesting was this -

The U.S. Fifth Fleet said on Wednesday it would not allow any disruption of traffic in the Strait of Hormuz...

Why would the 5th fleet say that?

They do on command.
 
Crazy stuff, not only Iran, but it seems China may be a target of war intentions as well. With the recent US treasury bond troubles for foreign holders (China has trillions of US bonds, looking to unload), and the hack success on US databases by China..
 
I was wondering if Iran is allowed to do this. By that I mean do they own that waterway? I'm not familiar enough with the geography there to know whether it is within their right to do so and I haven't seen anything in the news which says anything to this effect.
 
I was wondering if Iran is allowed to do this. By that I mean do they own that waterway? I'm not familiar enough with the geography there to know whether it is within their right to do so and I haven't seen anything in the news which says anything to this effect.

I understand it's international waters and it would be illegal under maritime law for Iran to close it.
 
I was wondering if Iran is allowed to do this. By that I mean do they own that waterway? I'm not familiar enough with the geography there to know whether it is within their right to do so and I haven't seen anything in the news which says anything to this effect.

Hormuz_map.png


Iran claims the northern point.

Not sure if international law recognizes it as an Iranian waterway, but the choke point is pretty damn close to Iranian territory.

Be a real shit show if oil shipments coming from SA and the rest were blocked.
 
International law recognizes it as an international waterway. At least, that's what the news is saying.

This is obviously not going to start a war. Give me a fucking break.
 
At the very least UAE has to own some of those waters along the coast so maybe they can stick close to the coast of that country or truck it over the little bit of land. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
 
this wouldnt be the end of the world.

all that would have to happen is they would have to reroute oil export/shipments through yemen/pickacoastalneutral country. i am **SURE** they have a few hundred million laying around no problem to create a new port.

nevertheless if history should repeat itself (WWI, WWII, VIETNAM, GULF, AFGHAN) the fucking US WILL insert itself into a Naval conflict just to flex our fucking muscles.

i really hope they/we do not do this. we are making enemies quick and becoming weaker from a cold war standpoint.
 
I'm sure this has already been discussed here, but doesn't it seem too convenient that Osama and Saddam were in countries on either side of Iran?
 
We've been fucking with iran for quite awhile now. They aren't going to do shit. God's clearly on our side, anyway. Just ask Rick Perry.