Is this a good deal? (pc kit)

lol at all the people saying "more ram". its the quality of the ram, not the quantity. i got 2 good 1gb sticks and never break 56%
 


Figure I'd put this here for the clueless. i7 is kick ass, don't get me wrong, I have it in all of the servers I build recently, but would I put it in a desktop? Fuck no. Why? The i7 and i5 are basically the same chip, except the i5 has hyperthreading turned off. This means that given your proc hasn't got a reason to swap fast between more than four processes (it doesn't, trust me) then you paid more for something you don't need. If it's a server on the other hand i7 makes perfect sense since you'd likely want to be able to swap between 16 processes ridiculously fast. Save your cash, go for i5.

There's going to be a lot of 16 hour days this year, might as well enjoy every minute of it.

Nice box Zimok.

That system should give you at least 3 years of FAST no bog service.

@Insomniac, I get what you are saying. I read the specs and had decided that for the price of a high end Q series vs. the I series that most people could and would be better suited with the Q series or I5. But "I" would rather build an overkill I7 system so that I have the extra processing power in case I were to ever need it.

Thanks :) I hope all the components work well together.
 
I'm loving the quad cores at the moment, cheap and do more than needed, rams pretty cheap at the mo aswel so get 6GB and a 64 bit quad with windows 7 on a solid state hardrive, watch it fly.



The setup supplied further up is good but operating system on a 80gb solid state hardrive then any other files on a 1tb hardrive, so much faster!
 
There's going to be a lot of 16 hour days this year, might as well enjoy every minute of it.



Thanks :) I hope all the components work well together.

I don't think you have any worries there with that setup.

Not to be giving any false hope, because I know WELL that even with well matched components that there are glitches sometimes. But your setup does seem to be well matched.

Now you won't have to worry about your box slowing down your creativity and money making.

Good on you Zimok for getting something NICE for yourself.

Too many IM'ers try to shave expenses on everything in order to to have a higher profit margin. I'll never understand why an IM'er would scrimp on a computer, unless they are just starting out and can't afford a fast & reliable system. Then it makes sense to be making money first.

Back in 1999 I bought my first OEM machine. (Been building my own systems since 1989.) It was an eMonster P3 500 that had a special promo for $500.00. (They were actually using decent components in the first release of it. I could not build the same system on my own for less than $700.00 at the time so I took the chance on it.) I still use it as a seed box to this day.

Since you will be installing a fresh OS, I'll re-post up a couple of things for you that you may have missed in the past.

Setting up an Administrator account with global system privileges:

For Windows Vista Ultimate/Business/Enterprise:

1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC, approve/login and proceed)
2- In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"
3- Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.
4- Set "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" to Disabled.

For Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium:

1- Click Start, and type "cmd" in the search area, right click on "Command Prompt" and select 'Run as Administrator".

2- In the command prompt type "net users Administrator /active'" (Note the capital "A" in Administrator) and press Enter, you will get a confirmation as "The command completed successfully".

3- Click Start, and type "regedit" in the search area and click Enter, navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Double click on "FilterAdministratorToken" and set it to "0"

And this has been helpful to me lately in Win7 32 bit. Since you will be using the 64 bit OS I would suggest setting up these strings early in your install before getting all of your other programs loaded to test it out if you are interested in using these command strings. :

Make a new folder on your desktop named the following...

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}





Windows 7's so-called GodMode is actually a shortcut to accessing the operating system's various control settings.
(Credit: CNET News)

Although its name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder.

By creating a new folder in Windows 7 and renaming it with a certain text string at the end, users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.



I've asked Microsoft for more details on the feature and how it came to be. But so far, Redmond is silent on the topic.



Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

More God Mode commands:

Here are more godmode type strings for Windows 7-



Windows 7 has lots of 'GodModes' (exclusive) | Beyond Binary - CNET News


Those intrigued by the "GodMode" in Windows 7 may be interested to know that there are many other similar shortcuts hidden within the operating system.

Intended for developers as a shortcut to various internal settings, such features have been around since Vista and even before, according to the head of Microsoft's Windows division, who tells CNET that the so-called GodMode settings folder uncovered by bloggers is just one of many undocumented developer features included in Windows.

In an e-mail interview, Steven Sinofsky, Windows division president, said several similar undocumented features provide direct access to all kinds of settings, from choosing a location to managing power settings to identifying biometric sensors.

As with the all-encompassing GodMode uncovered by bloggers, these other settings can be accessed directly by creating a new folder with any name (GodMode or otherwise) and then including a certain text string. Sinofsky noted more than a dozen strings create particular settings folders, in addition to the overarching GodMode folder option.

Sinofsky and others say the term GodMode was coined by bloggers; it was not something the company used internally to refer to the settings folders. Although Microsoft maintains many such undocumented developer commands to access such settings, all are replicated by the operating system's Control Panel settings.

Such undocumented means of accessing various settings have occurred in previous versions of Windows, and the GodMode identified by bloggers was also present in Windows Vista. Some users of the 64-bit version of Vista, however, say invoking the GodMode folder caused their machines to crash. Microsoft says it has yet to reproduce that problem, though several readers have said they have encountered problems.

It seems that the folks in Redmond have gotten a kick out of all the attention that the Godmode has gotten and have decided to have fun with it. Sinofsky sent a list of other commands that also create special folders (see list below).

Given the Vista issues, though, I would try these only on a Windows 7 machine, ideally a test machine. To make it work, create a new folder with any name, then a period, then one of the text strings below.

For example, the first one could be a folder named "thankscnet.{00C6D95F-329C-409a-81D7-C46C66EA7F33}" (use everything inside quotes--but not the quotes themselves).

Here's the list of strings:

{00C6D95F-329C-409a-81D7-C46C66EA7F33}
{0142e4d0-fb7a-11dc-ba4a-000ffe7ab428}
{025A5937-A6BE-4686-A844-36FE4BEC8B6D}
{05d7b0f4-2121-4eff-bf6b-ed3f69b894d9}
{1206F5F1-0569-412C-8FEC-3204630DFB70}
{15eae92e-f17a-4431-9f28-805e482dafd4}
{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966}
{1D2680C9-0E2A-469d-B787-065558BC7D43}
{1FA9085F-25A2-489B-85D4-86326EEDCD87}
{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}
{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}
{241D7C96-F8BF-4F85-B01F-E2B043341A4B}
{4026492F-2F69-46B8-B9BF-5654FC07E423}
{62D8ED13-C9D0-4CE8-A914-47DD628FB1B0}
{78F3955E-3B90-4184-BD14-5397C15F1EFC}

And, as a reminder, to create the Godmode folder itself, use this string:

{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

If you want to be the first to hear about the next Godmode or whatever the latest is in Windows news, follow Ina Fried on Twitter.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zimok