keeping business and personal life apart

rockstar45177

Banned
Nov 2, 2010
1,012
8
0
No
a close friend of mine owns a company and has a tendency to bring his personal life into his business life and vise versa.

So whenever business is bad he brings it home and makes his family suffer.

and whenever his personal life is taking a hit he brings it into his business and that suffers.



My question (especially for those of you with families) is what do you guys do to keep your business and personal life separate.



end with cool story bro pic
 


Personal life should be separated from business but sometimes it is the personal life that flourish the business by developing a personal relationship with your subordinates, clients and customers alike. As long as you know how and when to put the barrier, it matters a lot. "People do not care who you are until they know you care".
 
You have to realize that your family isn't the one that's causing business to be bad so you shouldn't direct that anger on them. Same with the business. If your home life is bad it's not your employees / coworkers fault your personal life is in the shitter so you shouldn't take that out on them.

Learn how to direct the anger into something positive
 
Professionally to let your employees know your life is shit is really bad form.

Yeah they're a captive audience but they really don't give a fuck about your personal life sucking. Their's is probably no bed of roses.

Also it will cost you money. Possibly a lot of money.

So far as the family goes that's a bit more of a grey area imo. We all reach out to loved one's for support at times. But being a dick to your family is just not fuckin cool. At all.

Oh and speaking of cool...

cool story bro.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fat Tom
All my employees are my good lifelong friends and some even live with me. It works out very well because they understand that business Eli is just a show I put on and really more of clearly fake alter ego. As long as you react to every decision fairly and clearly there's not a lot of problems between the friend and boss relationships.

My philosophy is, you may not like the decisions i make but they'll at least be impossible to argue against.
 
All my employees are my good lifelong friends and some even live with me. It works out very well because they understand that business Eli is just a show I put on and really more of clearly fake alter ego. As long as you react to every decision fairly and clearly there's not a lot of problems between the friend and boss relationships.

You can get away with it cause bitches love offers.
 
It's fucking hard, especially with kids and especially if you work at home (even if the kids are not at home).

I've found I need to mentally prepare for the bombardment of my family and the end of my work day. So I'll slowly wind things up an hour before they all come home. Sometimes it's necessary to completely withdraw from work and do something totally different too. Even "irresponsible" like watch tv or read in that hour. It all helps to switch gears. (I think I used to get this from driving home but since I don't do that anymore, the lack of mental transition was getting to me)

And don't work on weekends. It's too hard, and you just make everyone around you, and maybe especially yourself, miserable.
 
It's fucking hard, especially with kids and especially if you work at home (even if the kids are not at home).

Same problem for me, I work out of the house and when my wife and son come home it can be really hard to come down instantly if I'm not prepared. A lot of times I'm working and don't even know what time it is until the door opens. I usually try to wrap up really quick but it takes me a bit to come down. I usually go back to work after they're both asleep.

When you live in your office it's really hard to not think about work all the time.
 
When you live in your office it's really hard to not think about work all the time.

Amen. Add to that my wife is a Flight Attendant so she is home half the week (ie wanting to talk and discuss family stuff) and gone half the week (where I am on call all the time)

It is why I am getting an office outside of the home ASAP.
 
Sometimes you just can't help closing a million dollar deal on the golf course.
 
I don't understand why they need to be kept separate. They are always going to overlap and be connected to each other, and why does that matter? Business provides fuel for your personal life. Personal life provides inspiration for your business. The two go together and I prefer to optimize the two rather than separate.

You can't keep the two separated. Your personal life affects your business life directly. Your business life affects your personal life directly. You draw the line wherever the line needs to be drawn. But putting the two together is only a problem if it is a problem. And if it is a problem it doesn't matter if you separate them or not. Separating the two won't fix the problem. Fixing the problem will fix the problem.

If you are broke separating that from personal life and not thinking about it is not going to fix it. If you are broke it is no longer just a business life problem, it is a personal life problem. Your personal life sucks because you are broke. The two are tied together. To separate the two makes no sense. Is it going to make you more sad? Maybe, but that's not because the two are connected. It's because you can't deal with the problem at hand. It is entirely possible for one person keeping the two together to handle being broke much better than somebody being broke who has the two separated. It comes down to YOU, and not whether you keep business and personal life separate.

Do you also separate education with personal life? Does school and college not tie into your personal life? Do you separate friends with personal life? Are friends from school different from friends not from school? What about business friends?

You could go on all day creating barriers. Where do you draw the line between what to separate and what not to? You don't, because it's all the same thing: life. And it is defined however you choose to define it. If anything you should be figuring out to make the two work in harmony rather than keeping them apart. The two enhance each other. The two are part of the same body.

My thoughts anyway.
 
I find wearing different clothes helps.

If I'm in my shirt & trousers, I'm in business mode.

When I'm in personal time, the crotchless latex catsuit comes out. I always know where I am that way.