Market Research for new Freestyle Battle Website - Running out of ideas

onthewayup

Banned
Aug 3, 2009
2,063
29
0
Roanoke, VA
Hey guys,

Well, I'm out of ideas, but I don't want to just end it.

I'm trying to do market research for a website idea I have, where users can freestyle (by video or by audio) to win cash prizes. Users put their own money on the line, and winner takes all. Voting is done through facebook, twitter, google connect, etc., as well as a panel of respected judges.

Thing is, I've visited almost every rap/freestyle forum, but i haven't had no success except for a few "I would love to do that", but then the webmaster bans my account (I guess they hold text battles on their sites - which is played out).

Anyways, I don't live on any "mean streets" so I can't just walk out the door to ask around.

What do you guys suggest? Do I send out a press release asking for feedback/questionnaires?

I truly have a gut feeling that it may just work, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions and spend money on advertising, web site development, etc.

Any ideas?
 


Spend a day to make a "mock" sign-up form or something and a lander to go with it. Spend a little bit on advertising and see how make real (but useless) signups you get.

Then you collect their email and just let them know when (if) the real one goes live.
 
I had thought about this as well. Do I just receive their email information, or should I get a short comment as well?

You can do whatever you want, I'd have the signup page look as "real" as possible and once they fill that out, take them to another page that says "We're putting the finishing touches on the site, leave any suggestions of things you want to see in the box and we'll add them."
 
  • Like
Reactions: onthewayup
I had this idea a while back, didn't pursue it but it is a good idea.

Here are some suggestions...

Do the local lead thing, print up some flyers and post them around an area you think there maybe some interest. Find some High School students and ask them to spread the word.

Setup a youtube account and get all the freestyle/rap videos you can find and upload them. Brand/Watermark them with the site you are working on.

People don't like to pay for shit or invest the money they have. The same goes for this. I would suggest making the money as best you can off banner placements and things like that to cover the cost of the prizes. Once you have had a few successful contests contact companies you think would go well with this. Offer advertising for the donation of products or gift certificates.

Another idea would be to setup a facebook page along the lines of "I like to rap/ wanna battle me". Work on getting some members and building it up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: onthewayup
Hey,

Yea, we had the idea for the youtube account - actually every battle we would have would be posted to youtube to promote voting.

As far as people investing, they would only be investing their money against the other person's money. Let's say, it's a 10 dollar battle, one user puts up 5, the other user puts up 5, and the winner would take it all. Nothing would come to us as we would charge for sponsored battles, and advertising.

+rep for the facebook page.
 
Another possibility...find a freestyle rapper who's amazing and make a viral video with it and have him mention RapBattle.com (or w/e it will be) with a watermark in the video.

Have him call anyone out to challenge him.