Mobile Version of a WordPress site. What plugin?

avatar33

e-Hustler
Dec 5, 2009
3,838
52
48
Calgary, AB
Hey gringos, what plugin do you recommend to easily add a mobile version to a WP site? I know there is WP Touch but it kinda sucks in terms of features, is WP Touch Pro that much better?

Ideally I want to be able to have a logo, have a custom navigation menu and select which pages I want in it. (It'll be a simplified version of the full site's nav menu)

I know some of the recent themes already come with a mobile version, but I have this site that is using an old theme and I don't want to change it because it's working out pretty well so far.

937539.jpg


848681-photo.jpg


494571.jpg
 


its not a plugin, but if you use the theme "iFeature Pro" it gives you a very nice mobile version of the site with logo and all.
 
This

the elegant theme mobile plugin does a fantastic job of mobilizing a site, if you want to see a few examples I can PM you the URLz
 
It's called responsive design. Google it.

Or, go to themeforest and put in "responsive <your style here>". Like responsive tech, responsive blog, etc etc.
 
You don't need a plugin, you just need a mobile friendly responsive/adaptive theme which morphs and restructures itself based on the viewer's screen resolution. Most commercial themes like those on themeforest.net are being made responsive.

It's done by manipulating HTML and CSS using media queries and displaying fixed layouts at different resolutions, or with percentage based layouts that are liquid through a range of resolutions.

There has been a ton of stuff published about making mobile friendly sites like this in the last couple of years with massive interest in 2012, and it's the way forward. By this time next year more than 50% of people will be browsing the web on mobile devices and those that don't serve up a user friendly mobile experience will lose out.

Have a look here Media Queries for a decent gallery of sites that do exactly this. Launch any of the sites in the gallery and then resize your browser window to see how they change as the screen gets smaller. There's nothing terribly fancy about the way it's done, just a good design and some solid HTML/CSS.