My Year Of "Work At Home" Reflection

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time you need to realize you can still have a social life while working from home. There's no reason that you can't go to the gym daily or go out and meet people at night. That is the beauty of working from home-you get to make your own schedule. The only thing is you have to make sure you're putting in a good amount of work hours.
 


If I'm reading the OP right, since last December, you haven't done any work on a regular basis. There's nothing work related in your posted daily schedule, just fucking off. It sounds like you lost your motivation after the "Rebill Dream" went to shit a year or so ago. Are you just not able to recreate that success you had back then, so you've lost the motivation to do any work?

Working from home isn't your problem. Getting some inspiration to get back to work and start creating something again IS YOUR PROBLEM. Set some goals for yourself and work your ass off to get them done.

I've been working from home full time now for a year and I wouldn't go back to an office if you put a gun to my head. I'm not always 100% productive, and there are distractions at home, like watching my little girl while the wife works, but even if you're putting in a couple solid hours of work a day, you'll be amazed how much you can do and how much success you can make for yourself.

Start taking your business seriously again and start putting some money in the bank again. When you have enough so you don't need to work ever again, then fuck off for as long as you want. Just my 2 cents.
 
1. Get out of the house. Get a desk at a co-working place - It's cheap enough, in most cities (in my small-ish, banking-obsessed city, I can still get a coworking non-reserved desk for $60/mo, and a permanently reserved desk for under $300, and it comes with free soda/coffee, so the effective cost is $0). You might even meet some freelance designers or programmers while doing it.

2. Create a schedule for the gym. If you can't seem to stick to a schedule to go to the gym, sign up for a multiple-week boot camp or a program through CrossFit - I've been able to keep to a gym schedule, but bootcamp and crossfit are both on my "todo" list for the next year"

3. Learn to cook. Just buy food and then figure out what to do with it. A few weeks back, I went to Costco and bought a 3lb bag of French Beans and a 5 lb bag of Broccoli on a whim. Then I had to figure out what to do with all of that before it went bad. Throw in some chicken, Google some random recipes, and figure shit out. Easy, quick, delicious, healthy meals.

Right now I still have my day job, though I've been making enough not to have that. But I enjoy my co-workers, and working in the industry, a good portion of my team does their own shit on the side, and it's a great group to learn from. And a few people I know who've gone out on their own have gotten co-working/part-time work space & started to focus more on fitness due to having more time available - All seem to be doing well, and haven't fallen into a laziness rut.
 
I like this " Dream of being a business owner, having an office, working with great people, and having the freedom to work when you want, and make the money you want."

Just added it to my FB profile.

Cheers!
 
I just think you need some new friends buddy. I'm sure there's a ton of affiliates down at the San Diego area. Meet some new friends hang out at some new places. If the only friends that you have are still working a day job and you gotta wait till they get off to hang out. You got some serious problems buddy. If you hate working at home so much, get a office and hire some people. That'll keep you busy for a couple hours a day.
 
Why do you think that everyone wants to live the "Work At Home" dream? It's not a dream at all.

My advice: Dream of being a business owner, having an office, working with great people, and having the freedom to work when you want, and make the money you want.

Freedom is the true dream.

Everyone's going to be different. The better advice would be figure out what makes you happy, don't listen to everyone telling you what will make you happy and just do it.

From another perspective if you had a spouse and kids you wouldn't feel this way. When the kids are at school and the hubby is at work and i have 9 hours of uninterrupted bless, it's absolute heaven. I love the peace, quiet and solitude.
 
"Work at home"? Work wasn't in that equation for you apparently. You were simply "at home", a part from a small mention of tweaking sites?

I actually do work from home, and it's awesome. But I make sure to avoid McDonalds 7 days of the fucking week jesus christ, that may have been what was fucking your head up all along; and instead I actually go to the gym and interact with people.

Getting an office away from home in order to increase work productivity only makes sense for people who have families. For others, it seems like an expensive excuse to try and light fire under their ass to do work. Now if you have aspirations to hire actual employees, fine, an office makes sense. But if it's some sort of attempt at self motivation, it's ill advised; just change your daily habits.
 
Man, you're a fat fuck. Hit the gym, smack some hos with your dick - or travel to China, they love fat guys there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kingofsp
Hmm. I quit my 9-5 job a month ago to do internet activities full time -- My bench has sky rocketed 40 pounds to 290, and I've lost 7 pounds. Lifting replaces the socializing that id do at my 9-5. Working out keeps me almost normal but I completely understand the loneliness...

The cure so far has been to work anywhere that has wifi. Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, Cosi... usually I feel better afterwards because I was around people. Sometimes there will even be some good looking girls there. Im thinking about starting some hobbies intramural sports, MMA club, boxing classes, classes on the side just to break the cycle.

By the way anybody in Philly or the burbs?
 
Hmm. I quit my 9-5 job a month ago to do internet activities full time -- My bench has sky rocketed 40 pounds to 290, and I've lost 7 pounds. Lifting replaces the socializing that id do at my 9-5. Working out keeps me almost normal but I completely understand the loneliness...

The cure so far has been to work anywhere that has wifi. Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, Cosi... usually I feel better afterwards because I was around people. Sometimes there will even be some good looking girls there. Im thinking about starting some hobbies intramural sports, MMA club, boxing classes, classes on the side just to break the cycle.

By the way anybody in Philly or the burbs?

images
1
 
well man...i empathize with u cuz the same thing happened to me...i've been working from home for 3 years and im going crazy...the wife and the babies are home all damn day with me and it drains my energy...from the responses ur getting i can tell most of these dudes are kids that just started making 2 dollars over lunch money (u may be one too for all i know)...but life happens so u will just have to be proactive about getting out of ur rut...i have just started on the long road back to recovery...in the gym and cutting some bad investments...good luck
 
OP, You need to travel.

No one who has seen the world can feel like this. It's just not possible. They're always planning their next trip to country X and it's fucking EXCITING.

Sounds like if you cut out the junkfood and TV you'll miss them just sitting there all day. What you need is a fundamental lifestyle change and here's how to do it properly:

First, read about Minimalism: It will teach you about a whole culture of people who are happy with less, not pinned down by the american lie, and travel around a lot because it's simply the most fun that can be had.

Here are my two favorite minimalist blogs: (There are thousands)

hxxp://www.farbeyondthestars.com
hxxp://www.ridiculouslyextraordinary.com

Second, buy some plane tickets and don't look back. Try seeing all the world heritage sites; that should keep you too busy to think about this whiny bored crap. If landscapes aren't your thing, try screwing a hottie in every country...

Seriously, these will change your life and do MORE than fix that problem you have.

Good luck to you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: morphy and pfgannon
If I was you I would take a real 3-6 month long vacation and go somewhere new. Why not? You say you don't need to work for 10 years. Chances are you'll eventually be itching to throw yourself into a new project or business venture that you won't half-ass between bites of your 3rd McGriddle. I don't think it's a work from home vs. office space issue so much as it is an issue of lacking a project that you actually care about working on.
 
Dream of being a business owner, having an office, working with great people, and having the freedom to work when you want, and make the money you want.
Dude... You don't want employees. You talk about "Freedom". Having employees, no matter how "great" is not "Freedom".

It's babysitting. And You're the one needs the babysitter, mate.

Tough love time...

Stop observing life and participate instead. You sit on your ass in front of a computer or a fucking TV screen constantly. When was the last time you read a book in the park? Or even walked in the park?

Have you ever taken apart something just to see how it worked? Played a guitar? Built a birdhouse? Rode a scooter? Gone horseback riding? Learned to sail? Blew a donkey?

WTF? You need a hobby, and you need to get away from that idiot box- Fuck Oprah and Dr. Phil... get a girlfriend and a gym membership, and start living your life.

Not observing other's lives.

Imagine how fucking lame your reality show would be to watch. Now fix that, brah.

Btw: +rep to Drew Clement