Need a laptop. Suggest one

Pb.com

New member
Mar 22, 2011
658
3
0
Alright so my MacBook pro died last night and I need a replacement. Would like to stay below $2k but willing to hear all suggestions.

Info: I don't game but I use intensive programs like flash, dreamweaver, and photoshop all at the same time. Speed is important to me but solid state drives aren't a requirement.

Currently looking at a new MacBook pro 15" with quad i7 and upgrading it to 8 gig ram.

Any opinions on the air vs the pro? I do intensive stuff but I'm not trying to run anything too insane. Just the regular web development stuff plus a few light weight bots.
 


Good recommendation. I should also say I don't want anything bigger than 15" and I don't want anything bulky. I've got a work station I can tap into for the serious computing.
 
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/G53SW-A1-Republic-Gamers-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B004V93OZE/ref=sr_1_8?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1312835579&sr=1-8"]Amazon.com: ASUS G53SW-A1 Republic of Gamers 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop: Computer & Accessories[/ame]

Enjoy.
 
My Core 2 Duo MBP is 4 years old and runs just as good as the day I bought it (its never been reformatted or anything). I could see myself using this laptop for another 2 years easy. Go for another MBP.
 
Nah, go with this one instead. Like $15 more expensive, and a bit more powerful.

True but it's with the cash discount, which means that with the check or the money order (which isn't free normally) you have to mail it to them so that's extra processing time. Or a wire, which also normally isn't free. If you have no problem waiting then sure it is a little cheaper.

Also it's very marginally better, and most of that cost comes from RAM (12 Gigs when he was looking for 8) and slightly more video memory, but then again he won't be gaming soo..... who cares?

A maxed out brand new macbook air. they're hands down the best laptops on the market in all aspects

(just like the Jets chant) F-A-G-(S). FAG(S)! FAG(S)! FAG(S)!

Just sayin...:xomunch:
 
A maxed out brand new macbook air. they're hands down the best laptops on the market in all aspects

Compared to the ones I posted, the most upgraded MBA is/has:

Slower processor
Less storage (though it is a flash drive, which is nice)
8GB RAM less
Shitty GPU
Smaller screen
More expensive
 
(just like the Jets chant) F-A-G-(S). FAG(S)! FAG(S)! FAG(S)!

Just sayin...:xomunch:

Compared to the ones I posted, the most upgraded MBA is/has:

Slower processor
Less storage (though it is a flash drive, which is nice)
8GB RAM less
Shitty GPU
Smaller screen
More expensive

You know I love you both, but I am willing to bet neither of you have ever used an Air to actually do work. I use mine full time, I code on it full time, I chat on it full time, I fap on it full time. It's more than capable in terms of horsepower, and I don't have the new model (mine's a core2duo, not the new i7).

Every person I know who owns a newer one doubted them until they used them, then realized it did everything they needed and more. There's a reason Apple is almost the richest company in the world, they make really good shit. And I'm not a fanboy, this is the only (and first) Apple product I have ever owned.

The flash drive makes the thing fast as fuck, reducing the need for 8 gigs of ram (if you max out 4 gigs of ram regularly, you probably do either video or music shit a lot, in which case get a beefy laptop because you probably aren't that mobile).

GPU is just fine, you shouldn't be playing video games anyways THIS.IS.BUSINESS. (<--- trollololol :) )

Screen is small but has a higher resolution than the comparable MBP 13". Plus, just jack the bitch into a fat monitor if you need it.
 
You know I love you both, but I am willing to bet neither of you have ever used an Air to actually do work. I use mine full time, I code on it full time, I chat on it full time, I fap on it full time. It's more than capable in terms of horsepower, and I don't have the new model (mine's a core2duo, not the new i7).

Every person I know who owns a newer one doubted them until they used them, then realized it did everything they needed and more. There's a reason Apple is almost the richest company in the world, they make really good shit. And I'm not a fanboy, this is the only (and first) Apple product I have ever owned.

The flash drive makes the thing fast as fuck, reducing the need for 8 gigs of ram (if you max out 4 gigs of ram regularly, you probably do either video or music shit a lot, in which case get a beefy laptop because you probably aren't that mobile).

GPU is just fine, you shouldn't be playing video games anyways THIS.IS.BUSINESS. (<--- trollololol :) )

Screen is small but has a higher resolution than the comparable MBP 13". Plus, just jack the bitch into a fat monitor if you need it.

Yeah, but you're still paying more for less. That doesn't make sense to me, especially when comparing it to an Asus laptop which are fucking beasts and known for quality.
 
You know I love you both, but I am willing to bet neither of you have ever used an Air to actually do work. I use mine full time, I code on it full time, I chat on it full time, I fap on it full time. It's more than capable in terms of horsepower, and I don't have the new model (mine's a core2duo, not the new i7).

Every person I know who owns a newer one doubted them until they used them, then realized it did everything they needed and more. There's a reason Apple is almost the richest company in the world, they make really good shit. And I'm not a fanboy, this is the only (and first) Apple product I have ever owned.

The flash drive makes the thing fast as fuck, reducing the need for 8 gigs of ram (if you max out 4 gigs of ram regularly, you probably do either video or music shit a lot, in which case get a beefy laptop because you probably aren't that mobile).

GPU is just fine, you shouldn't be playing video games anyways THIS.IS.BUSINESS. (<--- trollololol :) )

Screen is small but has a higher resolution than the comparable MBP 13". Plus, just jack the bitch into a fat monitor if you need it.

I've never had a good experience really with any Apple products, always seemed like overpriced piles. Hell they can't even get iTunes right. The only thing the Air has going for it is the SSD. Why don't you buy a decent PC lappy and drop an SSD in to it? Same shit, a lot cheaper, and a better bang for your buck.

PS. How the fuck do you code on a tiny 11 or 13 inch screen? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.
 
I've never had a good experience really with any Apple products, always seemed like overpriced piles. Hell they can't even get iTunes right. The only thing the Air has going for it is the SSD. Why don't you buy a decent PC lappy and drop an SSD in to it? Same shit, a lot cheaper, and a better bang for your buck.

PS. How the fuck do you code on a tiny 11 or 13 inch screen? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

it's 1440x960 resolution, it's the same as pc machines with 15.6" screens.

plus, it weighs less than 2 pounds. A computer this fast less than 2 pounds is a fucking god send, so nice to work with. All 5+ pound machines feel like bricks with keyboards
 
it's 1440x960 resolution, it's the same as pc machines with 15.6" screens.

plus, it weighs less than 2 pounds. A computer this fast less than 2 pounds is a fucking god send, so nice to work with. All 5+ pound machines feel like bricks with keyboards

The resolution is worthless without the proper screen space to put it in, otherwise everything is just tiny. I personally can't do that. Have to make my shit big so I can see it or I'll end up with some crazy eye strain.


I'll take my brick, and my 17inch lappy any day.
 
I personally cant wait until my MBP explodes so I can buy the new macbook air. Looks so thin and awesome. Its probably a piece of shit to use though