New Web App I Built: What do you think of it?

Call it what you may, but I built a app for a client that is raking in the dough, runs like a fucking dream, and is popular as hell. And no one besides myself and the startup that owns it knows it was based on WordPress.

No, you're fucking done. Dismantle that mother fucker right now and build it from scratch.
 


Site URL or it never happened.

Call it what you may, but I built a app for a client that is raking in the dough, runs like a fucking dream, and is popular as hell. And no one besides myself and the startup that owns it knows it was based on WordPress.
 
I agree completely. I'm not seeing any good options using Drupal's core search or any of the major search modules that support searching Content, Taxonomy and Users all simultaneously; however, so this is my lazy temporary solution.

Do you have any recommendations?

Swiftype might be worth checking out, not used it myself yet but it looks pretty cool.
 
Put user login and explanation in the middle wide rectangle 1000x300px, under it list those apps with like 250x100px boxes each with 3 in a row so that it's instantly obvious there are tons of apps, right now all I can see is codepad and google webmaster tools and I have no idea what it does

Edit: here's how I'd change your layout

ajXy1.jpg

Thanks Jose,

This is very helpful. I'll take a stab at mimicking this layout you've wire-framed here! Hopefully this will help significantly in addressing the intuitiveness issues.

Use Twitter bootstrap, their basic example is pretty close to what Jose laid out above. Just tweak that and save yourself an eternity.

Bootstrap, from Twitter (hero unit sample)

Twitter Bootstrap

Edit: Congrats on getting something launched, stay at it.
 
Hey Penguin, my I.Q. is only like 141 and I had NO PROBLEM running around the site and finding the stuff you have there. Didn't stumble even once. LOL


I think the site was a good idea for you and others to have easy access to things that you might not have thought about or had access to.

You did it correct by getting it's FUNCTIONALITY down first for this type of site. The UI and "Pretty Pictures" can be added later.


BTW, here's the link to the MAIN Drupal Distro packages Additional distribution documentation | drupal.org

I just grabbed this one today Open Enterprise Drupal distribution | LevelTen | Dallas, TX

I'll be installing it locally and seeing what it can actually do before going live with it.

You might want to look at what this package can do. Open Academy: A Higher Education Drupal Product for Departmental Websites | Chapter Three It seems to have some of the things you're looking to do with your site already built into it. Then again, maybe not. I dunno.

From the demo site: "For starters, we baked in critical functionality around departmental news, faculty profiles, publications and presentations, events and calendaring, courses, resources and links, video, social media, and degrees and programs."


Is this the Open Atrium you were referring to in your post above? Open Atrium
 
Hey Penguin, my I.Q. is only like 141 and I had NO PROBLEM running around the site and finding the stuff you have there. Didn't stumble even once. LOL


I think the site was a good idea for you and others to have easy access to things that you might not have thought about or had access to.

You did it correct by getting it's FUNCTIONALITY down first for this type of site. The UI and "Pretty Pictures" can be added later.


BTW, here's the link to the MAIN Drupal Distro packages Additional distribution documentation | drupal.org

I just grabbed this one today Open Enterprise Drupal distribution | LevelTen | Dallas, TX

I'll be installing it locally and seeing what it can actually do before going live with it.

You might want to look at what this package can do. Open Academy: A Higher Education Drupal Product for Departmental Websites | Chapter Three It seems to have some of the things you're looking to do with your site already built into it. Then again, maybe not. I dunno.

From the demo site: "For starters, we baked in critical functionality around departmental news, faculty profiles, publications and presentations, events and calendaring, courses, resources and links, video, social media, and degrees and programs."


Is this the Open Atrium you were referring to in your post above? Open Atrium
Thanks man! I'm pretty deep into it using a combination of 97 different add-on modules, many of which have been customized fairly significantly - so starting with a new distribution at this point would be quite a dramatic pivot. So I'll hold off on this unless I hit a wall on my current path, but thanks for pointing this out. Also, yes that's the Open Atrium I was referring to.
 
I think you have a great idea Penguin.

In terms of making money off of it I think you have great potential.

When you brought up that you could search tech my mind immediately popped up with getting commission off of antivirus software. A lot of people tend to hop the bandwagon in general so showing off that everyone is using software X (whether the stats are real or not) will seriously get some good cash.

For your home page I highly suggest changing it from that clusterfuck of stuff and have your top 3 listed in order and then have a description of the stuff you can find below (kind of like a bulleted sales page), except you explain the purpose of the site and that it's FREE (put a big fucking emphasis on that).

My only other pet peeve is the fact that I hate it when domain names have one word's last letter being the same as the next words first letter. From a marketing perspective, I think trying to get your users to mention your site as WTU looks much better than whattouse