Office Chairs For Lower Back Pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan

Banned
Feb 7, 2007
165
0
0
I've been using a shitty office chairs for years and my lower back always kills, any recommendations on a chair that will really benefit a back and make it feel good?
 


outsource and hire like 50 indian/philipino SEOs to get together and form the shape of a chair for you. might be cheaper than a herman miller $1000 chair
 
is the aeron actually good for lower back pain, or just bigged up cuz its herman miller
 
On the cheap for for some quick temporary relief try something like this on whatever chair your presently using: Half Lumbar Roll (w/ Strap)

Or

Flat Back Lumbar Support Pillow (w/ strap)

Either one can be adjusted up or down to suit you.

I've even used small throw pillows folded over in a pinch.

I'd suggest trying a couple of different types and then find a GOOD office chair with a built in adjustable support system.

I just picked up a new $350.00 (Cheapo) Leather chair with an adjustable lumbar mechanism in it. It was fine at the store for the 30 minutes that I sat in it. Now that I own it, after 6 hours in it the lumbar support is almost no support. My old chair from 1990 is more comfortable. I'd just replace the Lumbar Pillow every six months @$30 a pop. I'm now transferring the pillow from one chair to the other until I get myself back over to the medical supply store again.

The Leather does feel nicer though. LOL!!

After going here Seating - Products - Herman Miller based on the above suggestion, I think I'll dole out the dough next time. http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/Embody-Chairs


Sincerely,

MT
 
I used to get lower back pain with a crappy ~$60 office chair. I've had a HM Aeron for a year or two now and never have any pain whatsoever, it came in at around $1200 (it has every option upgrade avail.. uh, business expense right?) and I'll use it for years to come.
 
I've been using a shitty office chairs for years and my lower back always kills, any recommendations on a chair that will really benefit a back and make it feel good?

Exercise your back.

My back always bugged me until I started stretching it regularly. I was using a piece of shit chair when my back first started to hurt. I then switched to a much nicer chair with lumbar support, etc. It made no difference.

Then I started stretching it and in a week all the pain went away.
 
We've only had about a half a dozen or more chair threads on here so use the search function.

That being said I will reiterate what I've told this lot before... Obusforme.

Seriously, why fuck around with all the art fag chairs from the likes of HM and others when you can get one from actual back experts?

Obusforme_feature_8.jpg
 
I work out 3 times a week, and i use the roman chair at my gym

The roman chair helped my lower back a lot, I'd ask a trainer to make sure you are doing it right.

When you do get a new chair, I recommend getting a fully netted chair - obviously with lumbar support.
 
..but you dont need to spend $1200 on a chair to get the best back support on the market.

You're right but $1200 buys you a pimped-up beast of a chair and a 12 year warranty, I make that $100 a year for back pleasure and when put on expenses a total steal. Heck, I sit in this damn thing for over 2500 hours a year, $0.04/hr is my kind of price.
 
Define lower back pain - is it more in your back or more in your ass?

I am recovering from a bruised tailbone. That takes forever to heal - like 1-2 years.

I'll add two things are very important for back pain + chairs. First, if a chair is uneven - just scrap it. You will severely damage your back over time if you are tilting one way or the other.

Second - one option is to get rid of the chair and get an oversized exercise ball to sit on. It will force you to burn calories throughout the day and help tone your core muscles slightly.
 
I've sat in the aeron, embody and don't like them at all. Anything more lower end I tryed was even more of a dissapointment.
One on my list I wasn't able to test was the allsteel acuity.

I'm in a steelcase leap right now and I can't imagine it getting much better. Very good lower back support and more adjustments than any other.

Anyone who says "You don't need all that" is either cheap, broke or hasn't sat in anything good enough to know the difference.
 
One of the things I don't like about the Aeron, unless the option exists and I don't know about it, is that it's not tall enough to lean back in. I prefer a high back chair with a head rest.

Another recommendation to help alleviate bad posture is to remove arm rests so as to remove with them the temptation to slouch on them. Arm rest also often interfere with being able to get your chair in close enough to your work surface so you end up too far away from your keyboard and mouse.

Anyone who says "You don't need all that" is either cheap, broke or hasn't sat in anything good enough to know the difference.

I certainly didn't say that. I said you can get much better back support than the Aeron for about half the price.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.