Page Speed? Google?

AustinP

Banned
May 12, 2010
2,333
25
0
"Page Speed Service is an online service that automatically speeds up loading of your web pages. To use the service, you need to sign up and point your site’s DNS entry to Google. Page Speed Service fetches content from your servers, rewrites your pages by applying web performance best practices, and serves them to end users via Google's servers across the globe. Your users will continue to access your site just as they did before, only with faster load times. Now you don’t have to worry about concatenating CSS, compressing images, caching, gzipping resources or other web performance best practices."

"At this time, Page Speed Service is being offered to a limited set of webmasters free of charge. Pricing will be competitive and details will be made available later."

Service details - Page Speed Service Home and Measure Speed up

I think there's a Google docs form that has to be signed up for if you want access to it. Sadly, I thought this would integrate with Webmaster Tools. Try this https://docs.google.com/a/google.co...ey=dDdjcmNBZFZsX2c0SkJPQnR3aGdnd0E6MQ&ndplr=1
 


I could see that being a popular service among the work4client webmasters.

For those using wordpress... w3 cache plugin works like a charm with the right configuration. I typically get 99/100 for pagespeed scores on most of my sites, some a bit lower depending on theme.

pmme if you would like my config and/or help setting it up
 
Yes this is a great information posted by you in this forum. Thanks AustinP for providing such a great detailed information.
 
I use every day the Page Speed Firefox addon integrated in Firebug.
Never use their online service because you could find bad surprises. It rewrites everything, even tags you don't want be rewrited and this is not the only problem.

Use the FF plugin to find bottle necks in your code and rewrite pages by yourself.
 
I use every day the Page Speed Firefox addon integrated in Firebug.
Never use their online service because you could find bad surprises. It rewrites everything, even tags you don't want be rewrited and this is not the only problem.

Use the FF plugin to find bottle necks in your code and rewrite pages by yourself.

This. My current WordPress "stack" that's doing well is the following:

- W3-Total-Cache 0.9.2.1 - disable minifcation, enable as much else as possible. If using your own VPS, setup memcached with Apache
- WP-Minify - Check to make sure your javascripts work
- WP Smushit

Usually get around 91/100 on page speed. I'd say anything over 85 is fine. Penalization will probalby happen at ~75 or below (my guess)

Page speed is something that can hurt your rankings if it's really bad, but to a certain point, going from like 91 to 100 won't benefit you any further.


There's a few docs that are even better - nginx + Apache combos and whatnot... but I never figured it out and have a solid Apache setup that's good enough.
 
I hate Google knowing everything about my traffic patterns. I've stopped using Analytics on a number of sites and replaced it with Clicky, although plenty of others. I see ISP's at times as the traffic bottleneck to regardless what you do to your site you get what you pay for with a cheap hosting.

A few recent plugin's for speed i've been using, "Headjs loader", and "CDN tools". The first transparently will parallel load javascript libs, the second leverages javascript libraries like Jquery on Googles CDN. Off loading content to CDN's will speed up your site. Some CDN's even have their WP plugin's that transparently deal with hosting your WP site content.
 
This. My current WordPress "stack" that's doing well is the following:

- W3-Total-Cache 0.9.2.1 - disable minifcation, enable as much else as possible. If using your own VPS, setup memcached with Apache
- WP-Minify - Check to make sure your javascripts work
- WP Smushit

Usually get around 91/100 on page speed. I'd say anything over 85 is fine. Penalization will probalby happen at ~75 or below (my guess)

Page speed is something that can hurt your rankings if it's really bad, but to a certain point, going from like 91 to 100 won't benefit you any further.


There's a few docs that are even better - nginx + Apache combos and whatnot... but I never figured it out and have a solid Apache setup that's good enough.

Hi Berto I am giving a try to varnish-cache:
Code:
varnish-cache.org

It is a caching HTTP reverse proxy.
Once installed on your VPS or dedi server, it act as secundary layer to cache all HTTP requests to the site.
Even with W3-Total-Cache disactivated the site is performing fast
 
  • Like
Reactions: Berto