Popcorn Hour - Worst Media Player Ever Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
These new display cards may enable your set to play bluray VIDEO smoothly but audio is a whole different thing.

That must have been the problem with my old cpu then. But I figured out my Popcorn Hour problem, it only does dts passthrough and this TV doesn't play dts. So as far as I know the only solution aside from buying more shit would be to convert everything to ac3 or just redownload different releases.
 


I have popcorn a110 and while my first one died after a few weeks the replacement has worked pretty well since. Out of the box it still needs some work, it's really a hackers box but powerful if you have the time to mess with it. No issues with .mkv or HD content so far but if your read their pch forums one thing obvious is the lack of documentation for noobs is lacking so frustration sets in. I like the box when it's running but it's finicky at times causing what seems to be alot of reboots. Competition is coming, if AppleTV could have played all the formats it would have been a no-brainer but for $220 it's a good buy.
 
I agree that NMT players have A LOT to fine-tune still. Like UI is slow and ugly and there are some really stupid things you need to keep in mind.. like you have to remember to change display setting based on your material you are trying to play. Like for series it's 1080p 29.97hz, for bluray and mkv movies it's 1080p 23.97hz. But I guess that gives you a little bit more control but if it would have auto setting (it has now but it always fails for some reason and I get black picture) that actually works, it would be great.
 
Yeah, but if you don't need HD (like me) you can just throw it on an old xbox ($40) and add a nice big hard drive. Plus you can still play old games... or you can just spend $150 to build a nice little pc to put it on.

I'll second this - XBMC is the way to go if you don't need any HD. Store your movies, go online, have old emulators/roms, etc.

If you have a 360 you can try tVersity which has worked decently well for me for streaming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.