Recommend a DVR?

EricVonDoobie

FAQ it
Dec 23, 2009
3,213
59
0
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Anyone have any suggestions? Basically I'm looking for a DVR that I can have in a spare guest room or something--not necessarily for a home theater set up or anything. Trying to stay in the $100-$150 range or lower and definitely not interested in some of the monthly fee boxes--anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate it.
 


im still on an old Tivo series 2 - i thought about upgrading to the new tivo but people say it sux - i wish there was a really solid high end option
 
If your techie and have an old computer check out npvr.

I'll check it out, thanks.

im still on an old Tivo series 2 - i thought about upgrading to the new tivo but people say it sux - i wish there was a really solid high end option

I was turned off by Tivo because of the monthly bill, hate the idea of paying monthly for DVR, unless it's really got something great I don't know about :/

Magnavox 320GB DVR and DVD Recorder, MDR513H/F7 - Walmart.com

Magnavox 500GB HDD/DVD Recorder - Walmart.com


One of the only things I was able to find that doesn't have a monthly bill or require a computer. My mom still was using a VCR to record stuff until this Christmas...The $16-20 a month comcast DVR/Tivo bill was ridiculous and I ended up getting this...Works good, a lot better than VCR that's for sure. It doesn't download the TV guide like tivo/dvr's have but you can just set the time.

Thanks for the links. These things are basically a TV tuner card + hard drive, no idea why they rape you on these DVRs. Egh. Thanks for the links though I might get one.