Sell Facebook fan page to company?

mirth80

New member
Nov 13, 2009
3
0
0
So last year I created a fan page for a locally-brewed beer that has a bit of a cult following. It gained about 8,000 fans last year and is now up to over 18,000 fans and adding over 1,000 new fans per day lately.

As many of you may know, Facebook is now making page owners authenticate their pages with a deadline of just a couple weeks. I do not work for or have any affiliation with the brewery (I just like the beer) so I'm not even going to try to authenticate it. The page gets lots of interaction from its fans and I really think it will continue to grow exponentially. If I worked for the brewery I'd see it as a great marketing tool.

So my question is, do you think I should tell the brewery about the page and offer to sell control of it to them for a price? Otherwise, the fan page will just die and everybody loses. What would you do? How much do you think I could get?
 


You really don't think a fan page of 18,000+ that love one of their microbrews would be of value to them? Their company page only has 12,000 and slowly growing, I think they'd be interested...
 
He didn't say they wouldn't be interested; he said you have no bargaining power. The scenario as you have described it is that they can either pay you for the page or just wait until it expires and create it themselves?

But, the value you created that you can transfer to them is in the user base, not the page itself, because they would lose that user base of potential customers if the current page expires right? So I think you have that to bargain with but not much more.

You could also just contact them and give them the page since you like them and they are local, etc. yeah? I mean did you create it with the intention of profiting from it anyways? Might as well go for the sell first though..
 
Yes, you understand what I'm saying. They would lose the user base, and their marketing dept is pretty novice and boring; I made the page and interaction fun and the fact that I have more fans than the fan page for their entire brewery speaks to that.

You're right, I didn't do this to profit originally, but I might as well go for the sell like you said. Not sure where to start, maybe $1k?
 
If you pitch it to them in such a way that makes them feel like they some how need your fan page then you gain a little ground, not much but a little.

Don't try to rip them off and you can probably get a decent amount of $ or something (free beer?) in exchange.

You could offer them the page for free, in exchange for a monthly retainer of $x,xxx to be the consultant managing and growing the page - as a freelancing member of their organization. How professional are you?
 
Contact Brewery
Free Beer

If they are a small local company, they most likely won't give you any money for it. It sounds like they don't know what they're doing or see the value in it. If they did, they would have researched themselves and come to you. They probably just have it because everyone else does.

I'm with Zach, trade for beer.or give it to them for free since you like them and aren't going to profit from it anyway.
 
chances are the company doesnt know about the authentication issue, so you do have bargaining power
 
This is a re-bill waiting to happen.

Go to them - offer to become their independent marketing rep for social media (why stop at Facebook?). You'll offer a plan to keep the page alive and growing along with local marketing opps (occassional coupons or whatever for the fans who opt-in to an Aweber list).

All for a low monthly fee of $$$. You won't have to do hardly any work and you'll still pull passive income. The Aweber account should be YOUR aweber account so you have control of the data.

Validate the page through them as a condition, etc.
 
This is a re-bill waiting to happen.

Go to them - offer to become their independent marketing rep for social media (why stop at Facebook?). You'll offer a plan to keep the page alive and growing along with local marketing opps (occassional coupons or whatever for the fans who opt-in to an Aweber list).

All for a low monthly fee of $$$. You won't have to do hardly any work and you'll still pull passive income. The Aweber account should be YOUR aweber account so you have control of the data.

Validate the page through them as a condition, etc.

Best advice yet.
 
This is a re-bill waiting to happen.

Go to them - offer to become their independent marketing rep for social media (why stop at Facebook?). You'll offer a plan to keep the page alive and growing along with local marketing opps (occassional coupons or whatever for the fans who opt-in to an Aweber list).

All for a low monthly fee of $$$. You won't have to do hardly any work and you'll still pull passive income. The Aweber account should be YOUR aweber account so you have control of the data.

Validate the page through them as a condition, etc.

Good idea. But why stop at social media? Do it all. Maybe PPC localy? You never know...
 
tell them if they dont give you $$$ you will put that there beer sucks harry balls, they have rats running around the barrels or some shit. like that all over the page.

yes... be sure to wear this shirt:
insured_by_russian_mafia_re.jpg