Stop Procrastinating - a new approach I've not seen yet

Hav3n

New member
Mar 19, 2010
1,849
37
0
GA
Used to be a psychology major for the first 3 1/2 years of college (which explains my long an illustrious college career once i swapped over to CompSci) so shit like this still interests me.

Basically... its a different approach to stop procrastinating than getting a day planner or a tomato timer etc.

This is not motivational but rather educational.

Stop procrastinating. [VIDEO]
 


Ah.. Thanks for the link - While I wouldn't say burning every calendar is a great way to avoid procrastinating. The video did touch on a lot of very valid points. And along with a calendar or something to keep track of things - can make a big difference
 
^^ Ha i know!

I'm the sort that just dives in all the way into something... if i can just get started. So this gave me a chance to go... hey... yeah... future me... man up!
 
behind every technology problem is a human problem and behind every human problem is a brain problem

get this book:

You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-Step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life - Jeffrey M. Schwartz

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Not-Your-Brain/dp/1583334262/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1"]http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Not-Your-Brain/dp/1583334262/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1[/ame]
 
Future me just lost a little power after seeing that.

I watched it twice, in fact, so future me is shaking in his boots.

Anyone know any tried-and-true tricks for tricking future us into doing something now-us wants it to do?
 
Future me just lost a little power after seeing that.

I watched it twice, in fact, so future me is shaking in his boots.

Anyone know any tried-and-true tricks for tricking future us into doing something now-us wants it to do?

Changing the way you talk to yourself helps, the video covered that a bit.

Instead of telling yourself you have to/need to/must get something done, you phrase it in your head as "when can I start this", "I want to work on this", "I choose to work on this".

Using positive self talk instead of negative self talk stops you from subconsciously sabotaging your productivity.

You also should use a pull method of motivation instead of a push method. The push method is where you tell yourself "if I don't meet this deadline, I will suffer this consequence". You try motivating yourself by putting your back to an imaginary wall, and force yourself into doing something to avoid punishment or consequences of not completing work. Instead, you use the pull method by telling yourself things like "Today, I'm going to put in a solid 8 hours, get this and this done, and after that, I can go out and do this".

It's important to mandate free time also. Not just to avoid burnout or because you need time to relax. But you need to take your mind off work in order for your subconscious to figure out solutions on auto pilot. For example: Archimedes figuring out how to measure volume of irregular objects while he was taking a bath, he was taking a break after working tirelessly on the problem and figured out it as soon as he stopped thinking about it.

The book "The Now Habit" by Neil Fiore goes into this a lot, and is a really good read too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: faceblogger
Changing the way you talk to yourself helps, the video covered that a bit.

Instead of telling yourself you have to/need to/must get something done, you phrase it in your head as "when can I start this", "I want to work on this", "I choose to work on this".

Using positive self talk instead of negative self talk stops you from subconsciously sabotaging your productivity.

You also should use a pull method of motivation instead of a push method. The push method is where you tell yourself "if I don't meet this deadline, I will suffer this consequence". You try motivating yourself by putting your back to an imaginary wall, and force yourself into doing something to avoid punishment or consequences of not completing work. Instead, you use the pull method by telling yourself things like "Today, I'm going to put in a solid 8 hours, get this and this done, and after that, I can go out and do this".

It's important to mandate free time also. Not just to avoid burnout or because you need time to relax. But you need to take your mind off work in order for your subconscious to figure out solutions on auto pilot. For example: Archimedes figuring out how to measure volume of irregular objects while he was taking a bath, he was taking a break after working tirelessly on the problem and figured out it as soon as he stopped thinking about it.

The book "The Now Habit" by Neil Fiore goes into this a lot, and is a really good read too.

The thing you have said about "pulling yourself' than "pushing yourself", I really think this is something totally new to me personally. I am going to have a glimpse of that book you said.
 
The only not-so-gay-lord productivity book I read:

slight-edge.jpg


I never read a Seth Godin book, I think he's a charlatan.
 
I'm 1/2 way through this book... really interesting. It's no self help book, and procrastination is only one of the topics.

It's all about the day to day delusions our mind provides for us so that we can survive.
 
Changing the way you talk to yourself helps, the video covered that a bit.

Instead of telling yourself you have to/need to/must get something done, you phrase it in your head as "when can I start this", "I want to work on this", "I choose to work on this".

Using positive self talk instead of negative self talk stops you from subconsciously sabotaging your productivity.

You also should use a pull method of motivation instead of a push method. The push method is where you tell yourself "if I don't meet this deadline, I will suffer this consequence". You try motivating yourself by putting your back to an imaginary wall, and force yourself into doing something to avoid punishment or consequences of not completing work. Instead, you use the pull method by telling yourself things like "Today, I'm going to put in a solid 8 hours, get this and this done, and after that, I can go out and do this".

It's important to mandate free time also. Not just to avoid burnout or because you need time to relax. But you need to take your mind off work in order for your subconscious to figure out solutions on auto pilot. For example: Archimedes figuring out how to measure volume of irregular objects while he was taking a bath, he was taking a break after working tirelessly on the problem and figured out it as soon as he stopped thinking about it.

The book "The Now Habit" by Neil Fiore goes into this a lot, and is a really good read too.

It's cool to see someone else who realizes the power of the subconscious. Ive tried talking to a few close friends about it and they think im delusional.

I started getting more into the study of the mind when i read law of success by napoleon hill. Great fucking book and shits all over think and grow rich too.

Anyways the part about letting your subconscious work is so true and I experienced it first hand about a month ago.

So here's the story for anyone who is interested in this stuff.

About 2 months ago my girlfriends sister and dad were talking about one of their favorite hobbies. I thought it was really weird that her 24 year old sister was into this hobby, the same hobby that attracts mostly men and that her dad was totally stoked on.

This hobby attaches to a HUGE niche all over the world. I'd give more details but I actually plan on creating a project around all of this so i can give exact details.

Anyways I thought it was interesting and cool but didnt tell myself to remember it or anything. I just kind of forgot about it.

Fast forward a month, and I'm reading a thread on wickedfire. A member here was talking about software sales and the pros and cons etc. And I started looking at their software product, and was reading some of the comments about software sales, back end membership softwares, etc.

I couldn't help but think of what a great product it is being so easy to produce, but once again I just kind of said "cool" and went to sleep.

About 3 hours later I woke up in the middle of the night. I didn't just wake up where you are groggy, but I woke up completely awake and my blood was pumping and my mind was running I could feel it. Plus, I went raw vegan a while ago so I sleep sound now. I NEVER wake up anymore.

When I woke up, I literally had an idea in my head. I know this sounds crazy, but like it's not like I was dreaming about something and then woke up and realized I was dreaming about it.

It was literally just instantly woken up and BAM an idea for a product was in my head. And it wasnt a dumb idea that you thought was cool but then realize is pointless in the morning when you're fully awake.

It was a badass idea that combined the niche that my girlfriend's sister and father had been talking about, and a problem in that niche combined perfect with the whole software product model that I had been reading about 3 hours earlier.

I know a lot of people are going to read this and go cool story bro, cause it does sound kind of stupid if you have not studied the sub, but I experienced it first hand and if you have a store of knowledge and get really stoked on something or need a problem solved, and just kind of "decide" that your sub exists and that it's going to grind away at night and try to figure stuff out, it will give you some killer ideas.

I've been busy as shit lately but if anyone ever wants to discuss this type of stuff further I'm always down. Just shoot me a PM.