Travel with camcorder or camera?



As a parent constantly trying to capture moments with her hands full, I'd suggest a high-quality small camera that fits into your pocket that will take short videos as well. Short videos are enough to get the gist and feel of everything without having to scan through hours of footage. They are easier to work with, too.
 
ive traveled extensively with my canon powershot and it is really all you need. its perfect for traveling because its so tiny, and the picture/video quality is great.
 
this is what I take everywhere I go. Takes awesome pics and 1080p video too.

canon-t2i-550d-r-800.jpg
 
It depends on your skill level, and how horny you are about photography. One camcorder I can recommend for the average journey is this:

HDR-CX105E (HDRCX105E) : Overview : Cameras & camcorders : Sony
This little baby is ridiculously easy to handle on a trip, shoots crisp video and has become a standard in my travel bag right next to my swiss knife. All you need is 3-4 extra memory cards to fill up and a backup battery just in case. It takes up no space at all, and its so cheap you wont shed a tear if you trash it by accident.

Notice I said AVERAGE. I am the kind of person who hates carrying gear around on a trip, I want the absolute essentials. My idea of fun does not include worrying about expensive lenses and carrying around my tripod on my back.