Turning CO2 into Cement (Vinod Kohsla's Favorite Child Project)



where's lukep when you need him?

this thread needs a bump like a crackhead needs a hit
 
Alright, I've read it.

Good find, interesting to see how it pans out.

Sadly logic would dictate that China and India will both be using this before the USA will. Half of our country doesn't believe that Global warming exists, and most of the rest don't think that Carbon is to blame or could help if we reduced it.

Also, there is the problem of an existing industry (not a small one either) in the way. As I understand it from the article, basically every company selling concrete now will basically have to shut down to make way for the green concrete makers, whose plants can't occupy the same buildings.

Their Lobbyists won't be letting that happen, now will they?

It's really depressing. I hear about something like this once a year that has the potential to not just help a bit, but SOLVE the huge problem of AGW, yet our country is so F*cked up that I'm saddened that this got published so the bad guys here now have a head start at destroying it.
 
converting co2 into natures cement is a good one which might reduce the hiking cement price..
 
Alright, I've read it.

Good find, interesting to see how it pans out.

Sadly logic would dictate that China and India will both be using this before the USA will. Half of our country doesn't believe that Global warming exists, and most of the rest don't think that Carbon is to blame or could help if we reduced it.

Also, there is the problem of an existing industry (not a small one either) in the way. As I understand it from the article, basically every company selling concrete now will basically have to shut down to make way for the green concrete makers, whose plants can't occupy the same buildings.

Their Lobbyists won't be letting that happen, now will they?

It's really depressing. I hear about something like this once a year that has the potential to not just help a bit, but SOLVE the huge problem of AGW, yet our country is so F*cked up that I'm saddened that this got published so the bad guys here now have a head start at destroying it.

Lol global warming. Lol CO2. Get real man.
 
I lol'd... But seriously, don't feed the bots. They come back in numbers.


Something you should know about me, Rage9, is that I have some very acutely focused Troll Radar.

What you should know is I'm a genuine guy. Really. I get a bad rap sometimes because I troll over soccer (which is really easy). Thats fine, I have my own opinions about that. However seriously talk to anyone that has actually talked to me and you'd know I'm a good guy at heart, regardless of my views. I don't buy in to the whole global warming bullshit personally. I think it's highly fabricated to open business in new places. Guess all I have to say is "haters going to hate".
 
  • Like
Reactions: ly2 from WF
I think I've made it clear elsewhere here on WF that there is no longer any doubt about AGW. -I was a doubter too (about the CO2-caused part, the over-population aspect of GW seems quite obvious) until this short report came out and it is simply something that cannot be argued with.

All the proof you could ever ask for about Human-caused global warming is in there. -Way more proof than you can argue with, yet it's all packed down into 13 or so pages of easy reading.

I'm quite serious. If you read that short PDF you'll be convinced. If not, you'll still be ignorant.

Do politicians and other scumbags try to USE global warming to make a few bucks? Of course. They use EVERYTHING they can to make a few bucks. -Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Read the PDF. You won't be sorry. -I guarantee that your problems with GW are answered in there.
 
I think I've made it clear elsewhere here on WF that there is no longer any doubt about AGW. -I was a doubter too (about the CO2-caused part, the over-population aspect of GW seems quite obvious) until this short report came out and it is simply something that cannot be argued with.

All the proof you could ever ask for about Human-caused global warming is in there. -Way more proof than you can argue with, yet it's all packed down into 13 or so pages of easy reading.

I'm quite serious. If you read that short PDF you'll be convinced. If not, you'll still be ignorant.

Do politicians and other scumbags try to USE global warming to make a few bucks? Of course. They use EVERYTHING they can to make a few bucks. -Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Read the PDF. You won't be sorry. -I guarantee that your problems with GW are answered in there.

Whether or not some "PDF" file tries to tell you it's true or not is irrelevant. I could create my own PDF and skew the statistics in my own direction. The matter of fact is there is plenty of debate on the subject, even enough so that it even makes main stream news. There are things like climate gate which really bring into light the fact that some or all the said data has been tampered with or misrepresented. There are strong opinions that past climate data is NOT accurate or can't be proven to be accurate. The simple matter of fact is that the earth has gone through both cooling and warming trends in the past. When you think about how long the earth has been around what we really are looking it in recent history are very small amounts of data vs the rest of the time frame of Earth that could actually be proved (depending on how accurate you think ice cores are). I guess that's easy to say because I'm not an expert on the subject.

Excuse me while I scoff at the whole thing.
 
I'd like to contribute as much as everyone else:

funny-pictures-lolrus.jpg
 
Global warming hijacked the real issues

There are strong opinions that past climate data is NOT accurate or can't be proven to be accurate. The simple matter of fact is that the earth has gone through both cooling and warming trends in the past.

While I strongly support any effort in protecting the environment, I believe the "Global warming" and "Climate change" brigade has hijacked the real environment issues. The degradation of the air, water and land due to unlimited consumption and waste dumping is a major threat.

While the temperature changes due to driving a car may not be much, the damage it causes to the air because of the harmful emissions has a much more drastic and direct effect on human beings (increased cases of asthma among small children in cities etc.) than the so called global warming.

And that is the sole reason why I use public transport more often.

The environmentalist should be campaigning more on this aspect of emission where there will be unanimous agreement than concentrating on the temperature factor that even the experts has differing opinions.
 
this will also reduce the pollution created by cement production,

Cement manufacture causes environmental impacts at all stages of the process. These include emissions of airborne pollution in the form of dust, gases, noise and vibration when operating machinery and during blasting in quarries, and damage to countryside from quarrying. Equipment to reduce dust emissions during quarrying and manufacture of cement is widely used, and equipment to trap and separate exhaust gases are coming into increased use. Environmental protection also includes the re-integration of quarries into the countryside after they have been closed down by returning them to nature or re-cultivating them.
[edit] CO2 emissions

Cement manufacturing releases CO2 in the atmosphere both directly when calcium carbonate is heated, producing lime and carbon dioxide,[17] and also indirectly through the use of energy if its production involves the emission of CO2. The cement industry is the second largest CO2 emitting industry behind power generation. The cement industry produces about 5% of global man-made CO2 emissions, of which 50% is from the chemical process, and 40% from burning fuel.[18] The amount of CO2 emitted by the cement industry is nearly 900 kg of CO2 for every 1000 kg of cement produced. [19]

anyone in construction knows that cement is the lifeblood of any construction site.

btw, I'm on the fence about Global Warming, but think that LOLing at it is retarded. What if you're wrong?

A lot of it is about reducing pollution and I see nothing wrong with that, if it taxes the polluters then it's a bigger reason for them to stop polluting... It may impact the economy immensely in the beginning, but in the end everybody wins. Including your grand children who'll be consuming less mercury through fish. The end justifies the means.
 
Whether or not some "PDF" file tries to tell you it's true or not is irrelevant. Excuse me while I scoff at the whole thing.
Wrongo.

You're happiness to remain ignorant is astounding.

This PDF addresses every point you mentioned, and uses multiple sources each to prove their point.

Scoff away. And don't mind the rest of us scoffing at your ignorance.
 
While I strongly support any effort in protecting the environment, I believe the "Global warming" and "Climate change" brigade has hijacked the real environment issues...

The environmentalist should be campaigning more on this aspect of emission where there will be unanimous agreement than concentrating on the temperature factor that even the experts has differing opinions.
I thought just like that before I read the report linked above. I was far more concerned with overpopulation and pollution than I was about any glaciers melting or sea level rise.

Turned out I was focusing on the gravel when the mountain laid directly in my path.

Legislators will never pass a bill that stops the CO2 monster from making the Earth uninhabitable if we only focus on the pollution that makes Urban areas less beautiful and healthy to exist in.
 
Pretty funny seeing a mechanical engineer giving a presentation on this. Think I'll go with the climatologists.

I'll go with the guy who has nothing to lose and is probably telling it the way it is. I don't know if you watched it or not, it's a long one, roughly 1.5 hours. However he also provides what sound like logical other reasons and arguments as to why we are on a upward global warming trend besides CO2.

There's no doubt that CO2 can cause climate warming. However the human race provides a nominal amount of it vs what occurs naturally. CO2 has been around as long as the planet and fluctuated in levels over the course of the entire planets existence even before known civilizations. So aptly renaming "Global Warming" to "Climate Change" was the right thing to do, but the planet has been in a state of "Climate Change" flux it's entire existence and will continue to do so. The world has been through much more drastic changes than that in the past and has always survived. There is no reason to think that it wouldn't otherwise. If nature has ever taught us anything, it's that it's really good at adapting to changes.

Without independent review/challenges by those who don't "specialize" in a field, basically what you have a monopoly on the information. You have to remember, all these climatologists have to get theirs (money that is). Who do you think pays them? Those with the money to do so. It's really had to take their claims of utter and total climate destruction seriously, especially with so much money on the line.

All this guy is doing and taking their own information and showing you why he thinks that the total and utter catastrophe of "Global Climate Change" is probably blown out of proportion, and that we are aren't in exactly "no mans land". Based on current data it's been worse.

There's a very good chance that neither you, nor I will ever actually figure out who's right or wrong, as it will probably take a least a few hundred more years (probably a whole lot more) to verify and have a more accurate picture.

To blindly follow along is just that. I take the stance that we are really just speculating at what could happen because we really have no clue. Some people will disagree with that, that's fine. How many more times do we have to see and listens to "experts" in any field only to find out they where either a) completely wrong or b) on the take or c) drinking the cool-aid for some other reason because it benefits them. We don't know enough about the complete history of the planet to say for sure, and it sure as hell smells like fear mongering and money. If it smells like fear mongering and money it probably is fear mongering and money backing up the fear.

It's worth a watch unless you're content with sticking you head in the sand and can't fathom how there could ever be any other likely explanations.