Ways to manage membership payment site

Myler

the horror.
Apr 25, 2009
531
6
0
G16
So Im working on a site that has files available only after you pay up.

Im aware that putting things for digital distribution will lead to somebody eventually giving it away somewhere, but just exploring my options, what are the best ways to set up a site like this?

a) files hosted online
b) unavailable and unsearchable for visitors
c) buyers get a password, they log in and access

Could I do this via simple WP plugin? do I need some special scripts?

Is it possible to limit the login to one IP address only? Say someone buys the "pass", then decides to leak the password to his friend. If the login is limited to one IP then its basically stuck to one computer. Which sounds good in a way but at the same time what if they try to access it at work and then come home and login...

Ideas? Suggestions?
 


If I were you I wouldn't worry about content security too much, a certain percentage will always pirate your stuff but generally speaking people we sell stuff on the net to are incredibly computer retarded so you're mostly dealing with the type that doesn't even know what a torrent is.

You can easily code a script that'd detect if people from different countries logged in or if you get 5+ different IPs a day and alerted you of it but I guess this is going way overboard. It's not like you're handling their banking accounts.
 
Thanks for the WPMU part...well I know I cant protect it from piracy, but I dont want it to be clumsy either.

I'll look into the WPMU.

The thing that worries me is videos. I need to upload videos on YouTube, and if I set it to unlisted, it can still be easily distributed...I'll see if theres some sort of password protection.
 
Yeah Im curious about that commercial - non commercial.

If I'm the owner and author of the video, meaning I made the video and I didn't use anyone elses voice or footage, and payed for Vimeo subscription, why would they care?

And the video is private...so basically nobody sees it apart from the people I choose.
 
Depending on what you want to do this may be one way to go. Disclaimer, this guy has been a client of mine, but I had a TON of hands on time with it, still do, and as far as ease of use, making shit look good and time savings it blows everything else out of the water.

Private Release | Market Pro Max

I really like the auto-webinar aspect, but it handles everything else silky smooth too. Guy was a client but I have no incentive to recommend it, I just sincerely think it's the best/easiest solution, and I've used all of the major membership plugins/scripts.
 
So Im working on a site that has files available only after you pay up.

Im aware that putting things for digital distribution will lead to somebody eventually giving it away somewhere, but just exploring my options, what are the best ways to set up a site like this?

a) files hosted online
b) unavailable and unsearchable for visitors
c) buyers get a password, they log in and access

Could I do this via simple WP plugin? do I need some special scripts?

Is it possible to limit the login to one IP address only? Say someone buys the "pass", then decides to leak the password to his friend. If the login is limited to one IP then its basically stuck to one computer. Which sounds good in a way but at the same time what if they try to access it at work and then come home and login...

Ideas? Suggestions?

I heard good things about WPMU too. Just do the best you can without spending too much time/money protecting it, and don't worry about it being shared too much.

If you set it up with good password/unique download links you should be good. Usually you won't get big enough to have people torrent it etc, and the little "pirate" stuff you'l get would be people sharing with a couple of friends.
 
Why is this better than optimise press?
I use optimizepress for a lot of stuff.

To really "get" MPM, you need to use it, and have experience using other membership solutions. It's just 100x faster to set stuff up. Laying out content/graphics/etc is simple. The auto-webinar tool is the best on the market if you use webinars.

My gripe with it is that the "core" is hosted on their servers. It's good hosting, and you can host your own content from anywhere, but I don't like that it's self-hosted.

The $97 is a cost/time decision. And depends on what your goals are. I can get things done a lot quicker in MPM than other solutions. But I also use other solutions when I don't need to be hands on with the tech stuff, segmenting membership areas, delaying/dripping content, etc.

You ask about OptimizePress specifically. As for design stuff, there's more flexibility in MPM and you can move faster. There are a lot more customization options. It's also a lot more than just a "theme", it has a bunch of tools that make life easier.

Not saying it's for everyone or that it's perfect, but if you spend a lot of time hands on with membership sites, it's a much faster/more effective solution IMO.

You can spend a day learning Wishlist or whatever, or you can spend 10 minutes figuring out MPM and be on your way.
 
well if its of any help, here is the exact rundown for my operation

You HAVE to mind that 90% of my clients pay via regular old bank...they are older people, probably dont "believe" pay pal or whatever...

So the site would be made to look something like this;



a) they read the advertisement for the subscriber only part of the site
b) they sign up
c) Wordpress generates user name and password
- also maybe WP generates their invoice? If possible.
d) I approve their membership once the payments cleared (by checking manually every day)
 
Sidenote - its not WP exclusive, if theres a way to manage this with regular HTML PHP site, thats fine too.

All suggestions welcome :)