Web Design School - a Waste of Time?

DigitalPlease

Banned
Sep 28, 2009
39
0
0
Canada
I know a guy who swears by a web design school. But I do not know - perhaps it could help me design web pages but I am into internet marketing - so I do not think I would learn much of that in there.

On the other hand it could provide me with a job after the web school while I am trying to make it in the marketing.

It would seem that only the web school owner benefits as he/she are charging $15k/(less than 52 weeks). I wish I own a web design school. It seems to be a great business as they have classes of 20 or more students. Which is $300k minus some computers and teaching materials and perhaps some credentials and lease on the space etc.

So, to go or not to go into Web Design School?

Note: not interested in the private school owners opinions or comments.
 


Screw that -- obviously you need to open your own.

You can learn everything on-line. Your portfolio gets your jobs
 
I would look for actual graduates from the school for testimonials and have a look at their work, plus examine the quality of the teaching staff and curriculum covered.

These sorts of schools are often notorious for turning out completely useless graduates who might have been better off taking that $15k, buying the most sick kick ass hardware and a Linda.com subscription, and locking themselves away in their room for a year.

Natural talent also plays a big part in whether or not you can be a successful designer. Knowing the ins and outs of Photoshop, HTML and Flash doesn't mean you'll make nice sites if you haven't got an artistic side to you.

I hired a kid from Vancouver Film School, one of the more prestigious schools in Vancouver that charges upwards of $20k+ for 36 week courses, who had great technical skills but he couldn't design to save his life. I had to fire him after only a couple weeks on the job. He even begged me to let him stay and not be paid just for the experience, but we just didn't have time to teach him to be a designer.

The problem is that schools like this don't have any qualifiers other than the ability to pay the tuition and their capacity. Whereas a traditional design school has portfolio requirements for admission and often only takes 20 kids out of hundreds of applicants each year.
 
Didn't even bother reading the thread.

But anytime you mention "School"... I can sum it up as a complete waste of time.

You can learn more on you're own in a faster time period if your motivated. School is slow paced and for the r tards who need someone else to "show them the way" because they can't figure it out on there own.
 
you can learn all the same shit online..besides you need to learn new tech/techniques constantly to stay current
 
Screw that -- obviously you need to open your own.

You can learn everything on-line. Your portfolio gets your jobs

THIS ^^^^
when i started back in 1998 I had a BA in Graphic Design... I never used to land a web design job.

People want to see what you can do...not some stupid piece of paper.
 
Didn't even bother reading the thread.

But anytime you mention "School"... I can sum it up as a complete waste of time.

You can learn more on you're own in a faster time period if your motivated. School is slow paced and for the r tards who need someone else to "show them the way" because they can't figure it out on there own.

Yep, I only went to grade 9, after that I did my apprenticeship in butchery, got sick of that shit and wanted more... the rest is history, ballin!
 
College education in this country is all about $$$ and not education, just like health insurance is about maximizing profits, not getting people healthy.


Read this article by the Wall Street Journal:

For Most People, College Is a Waste of Time - WSJ.com


Fragment:
"Outside a handful of majors -- engineering and some of the sciences -- a bachelor's degree tells an employer nothing except that the applicant has a certain amount of intellectual ability and perseverance. Even a degree in a vocational major like business administration can mean anything from a solid base of knowledge to four years of barely remembered gut courses.

The solution is not better degrees, but no degrees. Young people entering the job market should have a known, trusted measure of their qualifications they can carry into job interviews. That measure should express what they know, not where they learned it or how long it took them. They need a certification, not a degree."
 
learn it online, then open your own damn school. or don't even learn it, and hire teachers (grad students are WICKED cheap) to do all the teaching. you just collect the money and pay the rent.
 
LOL, to get certification as engineer in Canada I bought books, read them at home, solved all the problems presented in them and just wrote the exams without going to school. It took me about a year and half.

I do not know why I have thought that web is any different especially when I can draw stuff with a pencil like an zcartist. I seem to have that optical deficiency that makes me a really good at making zcart and bad at reading eng. drawings. LOL.

:smilie_weihn_winki:
 
There is a well known school with a good reputation that offers 52 weeks web design course, charges $10000/ seat and students have to buy their own notebooks with the software and they provide max 25 hours of instruction per week.

Thus they do not have to worry about their own computer, network etc.

However the school has a good name - so they can attract people.