What gets better results yelling or being nice?

What gets better results


  • Total voters
    79
  • Poll closed .
I think it depends on the scenario... but a 4-10 shotgun always tends to work :p...

seriously though it depends on what is needed... if the person you are talking to stuffed up and doesnt understand how bad a good yelling never goes a stray... being nice only works when it is really needed....
 


No situation is worth yelling at because you are only doing an injustice at urself by yelling... Someone said it depends but things can be done without yelling as well... I have been a manager most of my career and have had to deal with all kinds of people.. I have seen my peers who yells a lot, but it actually did more harm to their own mental health than the subordinates who ultimately leaves anyway... Ever heard of the saying, you don't leave a company when you resign.. you leave your boss?

You must learn to control yourself if you want to control others..

It's a little different in a sales office situation... But the guy who yelled the most did bring in business but he was never number 1.. And it makes you do unethical stuff.. The business aren't quality... Etc etc

The number 1 was guy in my region was the most soft spoken person I ever met... Empathy sells better... Yelling for the weak
 
OP said being mean, not yelling. Yelling is failure and loss of control. This is related to that larger question of how to lead and have control, whether it is better to be loved or better to be feared. I believe Machiavelli discussed that subject and advised that to have ultimate control you need both. So start nice and reward by being nice, but always let it be known that the consequences for insubordination could be very mean.
 
+1 on How To Win Friends & Influence People. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it is an amazing book, I'd even say life changing. I ordered a second copy to give my other one to my parents. Highly recommended.
 
If you have to yell at people, you have lost control of the situation.

Plus, if you did it in the UK, you'd most likely find yourself before an employment tribunal under anti-harrassment laws. For which the damages are unlimited.