What is the Best Firewall Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiver

New member
Jan 30, 2009
2,011
12
0
I've been using Windows Live Care which was surprisingly pretty good. Caught some stuff and hasn't conflicted with any other proggies. However, I hear Bill is scrapping this project in favor of something else.

So...I need to switch firewalls again. What do you all recommend?

I used to use Zone Alarm but found that it was a little bit of a RAM hog. Not sure if the new version is still like this or not.
 


Kaspersky, The full suite has a network monitor built in too!

Great for watching for any new connections after opening any type of file, then you can kill it right away, also gives the path tot file the thats making the connection incase a copy was made to a hidden system folder or something and its coming from there.
 
iptables... seriously, you should have some kind of firewall/nat router between your pc and the modem.

my favorite firewall is monowall: m0n0wall
it's based on freeBSD and is like a swiss army knife: small with a lot of features. it even has a traffic shaper, dyndns updater and VPN.
 
i'd go with a hardware or linux based firewall that isn't running on your workstation. There are lots of free ones out there if you have an extra computer laying around.
 
Head to head firewall test results

The best free one is Comodo, assuming you aren't software from shady sources 24/7 it should be more than enough protection. The only tests it failed where the ones that allowed a virus/trojan to shut down your computer or log you out.
 
Software firewalls are a joke, nothing but snake oil. a Good Antivirus program like Nod32 and the built in windows firewall is all you need.
 
iptables (I run it on OpenWRT)
smoothwall (I run it on an old IBM Aptiva from 1992)

but really, the best firewall is someone behind it who knows what the fuck is going on so the more you read and experience, the better firewall you will have.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.