What the fuck happened to the hosting industry?

I guess when customers are so price conscious everyone is going to look at the price as the ultimate factor, and when there are foreign companies undercutting everyone it makes life difficult.

I came across an indian host that charges $1 a month for shared hosting, looked pretty legit too, it was hosting a indian national newspaper (hopefully not on shared hosting)
 


You get what you pay for. Go to reputable companies, and you won't have such problems. Checkout Rackspace be it cloud, or regular, iWeb, etc...
 
I don't see anything new with hosting industry, the same problems of 5/6 years ago and nothing changed. Only a decent dedicated server connected to a very decent net can make you work.
Yeah, it sucked then and its sucks now. I just look at the companies with the best customer service because there is ALWAYS problems. Atleast if customer service is good I won't want to hang from my balls in frustration. I like seohosting.com ...
 
Paging subigo...

You rang?

The only difference between now and five years ago is price. Now anyone can get a $10/month VPS with a control panel and WHMCS for $13/month and become a "hosting company". I could set up a "hosting company" in under an hour if I wanted and have 10 clients within 24 hours. I see people try it every single month when they get a zensix VPS and try to set something up... then I get emails from *their clients* a month later when the "host" decided it was more trouble than it was worth and disappeared.

Like everything else, research before you buy. There are good hosts and there are a ton of awful hosts. If you want quality, learn to manage your own server and find a good datacenter.
 
Well, only the good hosting companies know what they are doing. Try going with someone who has been around for a long time. I use Godaddy and I never have issues with them :P
 
The free market controls the hosting industry. Everyone knows the free market is Jesus and always provides the best services at the best prices, as long as the government doesn't get involved!

I say that sarcastically, but really you get what you pay for. Personally I use Burstnet, they're about as cheap as you can get but still own their own datacenters. I've never bothered asking for support, I just do everything myself as usual.

If your talking about $6/month hosting or a $10/month VPS, that has nothing to do with the free market and everything to do with the choice to use a cheap host.

It's not rocket science, at $10/month, you need to sell a lot of servers to pay the bills. More servers = more clients, more clients = less one on one time to deal with issues, or, less money available for talented people who know how to deal with issues.

So, these hosts go the route of paying the cheapest labor they can, who only know routine stuff like how to reboot a server, and press a few one click installs.

Its not even just $6/hosting either, if your paying less than $100/month for a server, your going to experience bad support at some point. The less you spend, the higher the ratio of unskilled tech support you get the pleasure of dealing with.

Of course, some people will overcharge for services and still get the cheap support, but those people also go out of business much faster than the guys offering cheap services and paying for cheap techs, because the people who pay for the cheaper techs, kind of expect support to suck for those prices.
 
BTW: A lot of clients that use cheaper hosts are usually bloggers who have no tech experience themselves. If they know a few html tags they call themselves "computer programmers", and still think a tech support rep is a god for knowing his way around the simple features of cpanel. If you can get past the first dialog in putty, holy crap, you're a sorcerer.