What's the best way to see Europe cheap?

papajohn56

New member
Jun 16, 2008
7,254
211
0
SC
I know we have some Eurofire (Wickedeuro?) people out there. I'm looking for a way to see europe on a budget or some recommendations. France, Switzerland, Italy preferable. I've been to France, but not the others. I see Eurail passes and such, but suggestions on where to stay, how to eat, etc etc. It'd be me and the girlfriend. Technically we're both students (grad student for me, upper undergrad for her) so we'd qualify for discounts and all.

I'm not sure about the backpacking thing, but taking the train and staying somewhere inexpensive and seeing the cities/towns would be nice.

In before "man i thought u were ballin outta control" or something retarded. I want to save some money on this, it'd be fun to do it the cheap way.
 


Well, if you're on a budget then stay out of Norway. Costs are high here, depending on where you come from and what you are used to. 15 USD for a large BigMac menu on McDonald's. 8-9 USD pr 1/2 L of beer in a bar.
 
My girlfriend swears by this site: College Travel, College Tours, College Trips | EF College Break. She's booked multi-country trips on there that include food, hotels, transportation, and the admission prices to various museums, attractions, landmarks, tours, etc. Most of their trips are pretty cheap and apparently the hotels and meals are pretty good. Nonetheless, you save a shit ton of time and trouble coordinating everything.

It may or may not be your thing, but it's worth checking out. I've never personally booked a trip with them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rogerrabbit
I can tell you that Europe is not cheap. Rain on 'dem campaigns... then Europe?
 
You may actually find it cheaper to fly around with budget airlines. Depending on how long in advance you're booking you can pick up some very cheap airfares.
 
My girlfriend swears by this site: College Travel, College Tours, College Trips | EF College Break. She's booked multi-country trips on there that include food, hotels, transportation, and the admission prices to various museums, attractions, landmarks, tours, etc. Most of their trips are pretty cheap and apparently the hotels and meals are pretty good. Nonetheless, you save a shit ton of time and trouble coordinating everything.

It may or may not be your thing, but it's worth checking out. I've never personally booked a trip with them.
+rep

Was glancing this all over - it quotes me at $1,959 for a 7 day trip through Amsterdam and Paris. Incl. airfare, hotels, tour guide, admission to attractions etc.

Sick deal.
 
My girlfriend swears by this site: College Travel, College Tours, College Trips | EF College Break. She's booked multi-country trips on there that include food, hotels, transportation, and the admission prices to various museums, attractions, landmarks, tours, etc. Most of their trips are pretty cheap and apparently the hotels and meals are pretty good. Nonetheless, you save a shit ton of time and trouble coordinating everything.

It may or may not be your thing, but it's worth checking out. I've never personally booked a trip with them.

Fuck EF. It's so fast paced, me and my friends ended up breaking away from the tour guides and doing shit on our own. It was fun because I was young, but if I were to do it again I'd try something else.
 
+rep

Was glancing this all over - it quotes me at $1,959 for a 7 day trip through Amsterdam and Paris. Incl. airfare, hotels, tour guide, admission to attractions etc.

Sick deal.
Ultimate I suppose, the cost of any planning will come down to what level of outside management is performed.

$1900 = €1400

Knowing both locations like the back of my hand... I can already tell you that the gross majority of EU travelers themselves, do not run up €1400 to visit AMS+PAR... more like ~€500 all in all.

I do suppose a €1400 plan will include better management, and possibly leave a greater experience :)
 
Budget airlines don't fly to the main airports, and are usually further out, so the savings are kind of negated by transport to/from the center.

Fuck Eurail passes too, just buy point to point when you need, will probably cost the same or less.

To save money overall, spend more time east of Germany, check out countries like Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary etc
 
some good suggestions here eurorail, couchsurfing.org (very fun). I assume your going in Summer, if so I would suggest getting eurorail ticket and just hitting up festivals over europe staying in hostels or couchsurfing in between.

Some great festivals can be had in Spain, Portugal and in a lot of the eastern countries Croatia etc.

If your gonna come to Ireland hit me up and we can go for a beer (or 10).
 
Eastern Europe is pretty cheap. It's pretty romantic with all the history and nice landscapes. Let me know if you drop by here.
 
If you like camping, that can be a good and fairly cheap way to go. There's camping grounds everywhere and even if you can't find one you won't get arrested if you just put up your tent in some woods, might piss off the farmer though.

Switzerland won't be cheap no matter what you do. If you do go, visit Lauterbrunnen.

Oh yeah and don't do one of those pre booked tours. Getting hurried through a bunch of gay museums is probably the worst way ever to get to know a new country and culture.