Who's had Lasik?

Status
Not open for further replies.


Discuss, as I've worn glasses/contacts since I came out of the womb. Good, bad, ugly about the procedure - odds that I'd go blind?

This is a side effect in 10% of the cases post-surgery. It's irreversible.

eyeball.jpg
 
I don't have bad vision, but my mom did. She had Lasik a few years ago and her night vision got even worse for a long time. But these days she can see perfectly...
 
I wanna get it done eventually. I heard its like 2G an eye, but it seems like it'd be pretty cool to get 20/20 vision without the hassle of glasses or contacts.
 
My wife got Lasik about 1 1/2 years ago and recommends it to everyone now who asks her about it. I watched the procedure and it took less than 10 mins. She said it was painless and she was at 20/20 vision just a day later.

Had 2 other friends get Lasik at the same company and they have had no problems either.

The company is LASIK Vision Institute (it was $3600 total)
 
i would hold off on it for awhile. I saw a special awhile ago that once you have lasik theres always the chance of fucking up your vision for life. but they were saying like 10 years down the line your vision will start to get worse and you can't get it corrected because its for life.
 
Had a friend that just got it done.

#1 - Don't try to save money. Go with the best doctor.
#2 - Your vision will be cloudy for awhile then gradually get better.
#3 - Not sure of any long term effects yet.
 
My mom had it done like 10 years ago, my dad a couple years after that and my wife had it done in January. My mom still needs glasses to read, but my dad never really wears glasses at all. My wife now has 20/15 vision. I got to watch the procedure in HD, it was pretty weird.
 
I had it done about two years ago, and I'd do it again every month if I had to. Before, I needed to always have glasses or contacts on. Now I have 20/20 vision. I do have a little bit of a problem at night while driving. Sometimes the road signs or lights will have a halo around them. Its not a big deal, but its noticeable.

Good Luck.
 
Had it, loved it. FUCK YA GLASSES, FUCKING THREW YOU IN THE GARBAGE.

Costed me $4000 CDN for both eyes. Downtown Toronto Lasik center.

Oh -- and I was almost legally blind. (-6 and -7 for both eyes)
 
My brother just had it done last week - It cost him $5200 total.

So far, he said everything is good and hasnt had any side effects thus far and loves it. My dad watched the procedure, said it only took about 20 minutes.
 
Looked in to it but was told I had a thin cornea and my vision was not bad enough. Have since found out about lasek which is better for those with thin corneas so my look in to this.

My wife has had bad vision all her life - possibly how she chose me! When we moved to Canada she was 6 months pregnant, she's mentioned her eyesight getting worse so I did some investigation. The eyes are muscles and nowadays get negelcted as we do not use our peripheral vision. We stare ahead at the TV, PC, when driving etc. I stumbled upon the Bates Method The Bates Method - Bates Association for Vision Education you can improve your vision by exercising your eyes. There are even Vision Educators who can teach you the methods ... My wife went to see one in Toronto ... then we found out the problem was cataract !

I know 4 people who have had lasik & all swear by it. No one paid the bargain prices they advertise though!
 
One of my friends from college had it done and said she loves it. She had to do the whole eye drops thing for like 6 months, but after that its easy as hell. She loves it.

On another note, not sure if you know about these or even use them but - I've worn glasses since i was about 6 or 7 - now I'm on monthly contacts. I change them literally once a month, if not longer. You sleep in them and everything.

It's a lot more oxygen delivery, and I completely forget that I have them in at all. No lie. Takes the first day to adjust, then you're golden.

Edit: Here's the URL for 'em: http://www.nightandday.com/
 
i heard Arnold got it done... but had some bad results

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpUVPvsIF5w]YouTube - Total Recall: bulging eyes[/ame]
 

I'm on these too. Literally changed my life. Literally.


And as for the Lasik places that advertise those deep discounts, whenever I see one of those advertisements I immediately make a mental note never to go there for my procedure. I don't feel that my vision (or a procedure that corrects it) needs to go on sale like a pack of toilet paper. And if a Lasik clinic is truly awesome, they will charge a (well-deserved) premium for their services. I will gladly, GLADLY pay that premium.

But in spite of all my BS, I have to admit that I'm still being a real big pussy about it and that's the only reason I haven't yet pulled the trigger.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.