your thoughts on solar power?



CSP,, what is that?

Concentrating Solar Power, typically using a parabolic dish or trough to focus direct normal insolation onto a collector such as a collection tube or Stirling engine heater head (solar thermal systems), or photovoltaic cells (PV systems).

I was referring to CSP for solar thermal electricity production which has high efficiency and relatively low cost.

Concentrating PV systems are somewhat interesting but the underlying PV cells aren't any more efficient, you are just increasing the collection area with the collectors. They also suffer from the effects of higher temperatures which reduce PV efficiency, the opposite of solar thermal systems where hotter is better.
 
Meanwhile in Germany, Germany sets new solar power record, institute says | Reuters

Solar met 50% of Germany's midday electricity needs that day.

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg
 
My family is in the electrician business and they were thinking about going to classes for installing solar panels but rumor has it a lot of people are staying away from it. From what I heard they only last around 15-20 years before you need to replace them, so your not really saving any money. I also heard the states aren't giving rebates out anymore so you would have to pay for the whole thing.

But on the other hand my neighbor wanted solar panels and the guy he called said it would cost either 50k or 100k (I forget which) and wanted around 20k up front and they wouldn't be able to get to him for a year, lol.

There's a push to do residential solar here in Vegas (for obvious reasons...)

I checked into it recently and, after government subsidies, I would have to come out of pocket $20k. My electric bills are so small (around $200/mo during peak summer season) that my breakeven point is too long for the investment to make financial sense.
 
solar is a waste of time... you only get 12% ROI a year over a 4 year period with panels well maintained. Companies certify them with a 25 year warranty knowing their company will only last 5 before they go broke....

go self sustaining and self propelling like tesla's concepts... they are permanent if you can work them out ;)
 
Last edited: