Any tips on cooking for one?

Just throw one of these together, you'll be good.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCxFn3sAw68"]YouTube - ‪The Sloppy Roethlisberger - Epic Meal Time‬‏[/ame]
 


I assume you've got a freezer? If so just make big ass meals that freeze well. A general rule of thumb is if it takes awhile to cook, e.g: soups, casseroles etc then it'll also freeze well. Carbs also don't freeze that well (pasta/potatoes) so it's best to just make those into sides and then make them fresh.

Every sunday when I am really hungover I'll make a huge ass stew or casserole, have some for lunch and then freeze the rest. If you have a decent sized freezer you can have like 4-5 really different stews/casseroles in there so you don't get that sick of them.

I made an amazing slow cooked lamb shank casserole last sunday, sunday before that I made a chicken with white (not thickened) sauce. I've also got pea and ham, minestrone & potato and leek soup in there at the moment as well.

Goodluck, but getting sick of thai food is crazy talk!
 
Things you need:
Rice Cooker.
Slow Cooker.

Step 1. Make rice. (Brown is better.)
Step 2. Put vegetables and protein in slowcooker.
Step 3. Put vegetables and protein on rice.

BVPMB.jpg
 
i cook chicken breasts or steak and brown rice +vegetables almost every day. sure beats fast food. also big salads w/ chicken breast in them are good.
 
I'll cook one meal one day and then keep creating new meals out of the leftovers. It works wonders. For instance - one night chicken, next night, chop some up and put it in tacos, next night, make pasta out of it... sandwiches, etc. etc. I prep a lot of ingredients and use them for everything. Taco toppings could be used in omelets and scrambles. I used to hate cooking a ton of shit and eating the same meal every day until it was gone, so I just started getting creative. It's pretty interesting to make up different concoctions of shit that no one eats together, but sounds amazing and ends up being pretty fucking awesome. And if it ever does taste like shit, I either dump siracha all over it or toss it in the trash and eat something else.
 
dont eat thai food
online marketing service, online marketing services, online marketing software, online marketing softwares, marketing software, online advertising, online advertising service, Online Advertisement Service, email marketing software, email marketing softwares
ROFL
 
I make meals large enough for four, and refrigerate and freeze things until I want to use them. This way I can do my work without having to report to the stove as much. For example I make a pot of soup, reheat a cup of that, make a sandwich and I'm done. Lunch!

An easy way to make one or two meals is to buy a package of chicken cutlets. Separate them into single bags and freeze them until you need them. Once you're ready to use them defrost, put some bread crumbs (and sesame seeds if you're fancy) into the bag and shake it up. Pan fry this and you will have a nice chicken cutlet dinner. Fry up a couple of them at once, and you'll have something for tomorrow's lunch as well, etc.
 
Roast really good quality meat, whole chickens or ducks, or a good joint of lamb. Out of 1 piece of meat, you can get 6 different meals:

1. The roast meat (well, obviously).
2. Cold cuts for sandwiches and salads
3. Stock for soup
4. Stir fry
5. Curry (indian, not thai)
6. Use as pie filling

The key is use the fattier meat, because it tastes better, and doesn't dry out.
 
Also don't just cook pastas or "easy" food. That's not challenging enough to keep it fun, and you'll get bored of it quickly.


Screw buying "bits" of meat... cutlets etc are very wasteful, and breast meat for example is the least versatile bit of chicken because it dries out.

Choose a cuisine you like (mexican, south indian, cantonese, whatever), and learn the fundamentals of it. Every tradition of cooking has certain basics, that once you understand, you can knock something wondeful together in a few mins prep time out of random ingredients.

For example, almost all Bangladeshi cooking is based on a garlic + turmeric + chilli + coriander + ginger + garam masala spice base fried in oil. Add veggies to the oil, then meat, and you have a tasty Bangladeshi dish.

Or Traditional British food (which is darn tasty, just nobody remembers how to cook it) is based on a carrot/onion/celery stock base. From that you can make soups, stews, casseroles or sauces.

And so on. The fun's in the learning. And once you get it licked, it's hella impressive to be able to improvise given random ingredients. Especially to women who are used to men being hopeless cooks. ;)

Use the best, freshest ingredients you can buy... locally produced meat & veg (shouldn't be hard in Thailand). Invest in a really great chefs knife and some good pans, so you feel like the daddy when you're cooking.

I don't know why anyone would get food delivered - eating is the second most important thing you do for your wellbeing after breathing, so I'd rather handle it personally. Unless you have a personal chef, pre-prepared food is always sub-standard.
 
Whatever you do, buy in bulk. Lots of meat, fresh veggies, rice, etc.

And remember, simple is best. There is nothing in this world like a simple rare steak, smothered in onions/mushrooms, with a baked potato on the side.
 
Screw buying "bits" of meat... cutlets etc are very wasteful, and breast meat for example is the least versatile bit of chicken because it dries out.

I'd agree with just about everything you said except for this. A whole roasted chicken is fantastic, I do one every couple of weeks. You can get a huge roaster here for the same cost as a pack of 3 or 4 breasts but it's time consuming and messy utilizing everything off the carcass. Whereas a 3 or 4 pack of big plump chicken breasts is the most versatile meat IMO and much easier to quickly work with and turn into...

Various Stirfry
Various Curry
Platter Green Salad
Potato Salad
Pasta Salad
Pizza
Pasta
Soup
Stew
Breaded and Fried
Baked in Sauce
Cordon Bleu
Burger
Sandwich
BBQ
Skewers
etc.

I'll fry or steam a whole package up and use them for 2 or 3 days for any of the above or split them and cook them over two days. Dryness can be a problem, but it's not too bad as long as you don't over cook them and it really isn't an issue in any dish the includes liquids/sauces.
 
chopping and freezing your veggies along with your meats makes cooking most of the stuff I like really easy. Also you can buy most of the veggies pre-chopped and frozen and it's not that much more expensive.

I use to do this quite a bit and could eat for 3-4 days for about $15...