Any tips on negotiating a higher salary?

-joe-

Britfag
May 6, 2010
4,318
72
0
Just outside London, UK
This morning, to my surprise, got a job offer over the phone. It sounds pretty much like they're set on hiring me.

I hadn't actually applied anywhere, but a few months ago, I applied to a few places on Monster, and looks like I'm still on there.


The position is "Marketing Automation Manager", and it's full time. They have 36k employees worldwide, and last year had a revenue of $5.6 billion.

It's 55 minutes drive from where I live, and with petrol at the equivalent of $8.60 to the gallon here, that's a bit of a cost.

I'd just do internet marketing rather than working for someone, but I don't have a lot of funds, currently I'm spending all my funds in a couple of days on ads (with a 100% ROI normally) and then having to wait over a week for the money to come through.

When they called this morning, they asked me to name the sort of salary range I was looking for. Since I was bleary, and hadn't been looking at jobs, I couldn't come up with one.

They replied with an offer of £20k a year (=$32.5k), with pension plan (lol) healthcare, and something else, I didn't hear.

When I heard this, I thought it sounded a little low, but didn't say anything. I mentioned it to my driving instructor afterwards, and he agreed it sounded a bit low. I'd think £25k+ is more reasonable, at the least? (=$40.6k)

So, they said to get back to them, anyway, and there's gonna be a telephone interview. So my question is, how can I renegotiate the salary now, getting the most possible, while still keeping my chances how they are?

Thanks :)

Tits for your trouble:

6.jpg


1251649424565.jpg
 


Sounds like your salary is going to be wiped out on gas... err petrol prices. Sounds like a waste to me, if you really knew "automation" you'd be worth a whole lot more than what they are offering.
 
I'm very conservative when it comes to this sort of thing. I suggest you take the job without further negotiations. That way, you have a job. In the event that you choose to stick with the job, you can request a salary increase later on down the line. Should you make it big in online marketing, you can always quit the job.

My concern is that your requesting more money might encourage them to find someone else (who is requesting a cheaper rate of pay). The economy isn't at its finest point.

Either way, best of luck.
 
Credit card in the rents name?

As far as the salary negotiation, find ways to prove that you're worth more than $32k to them. Prove that you'll be able to increase their gross sales $32k/month.
 
$32.5k = 90$/day

Dude, just set up 10-15 micro niche sites and do some solid SEO, they would give you a steady $90/day after 2-3 months and meanwhile you can expand your paid traffic skills & knowledge with your own testings and PPVPlaybook.

It is possible because this model started working for me. Remember that in internet marketing your income level will increase every year in a big way.
 
If you want to take the job, call the HR guy back and say you've done research and ask if they'd be comfortable with paying you $X. Suggest that your number is closer for those with your skill-set. Don't demand it, just ask. If they say no, you can ask how close they can come to your figure, settle for their number, or walk away.
 
Yep - get "Secrets Of Power Negotiating" by Roger Dawson. I think it's on PDF if you hunt around, but I have a hardback copy.

Read it all in one sitting (about 3 hours) - it's very easy to digest.

Profit. (that book has made me a fucking fortune in the 10 years since I've read it)

20K is a derisory salary for that job. After tax & NI you'll be left with less than 1125 a month in your bank account. After motoring costs, that's 925 a month, assuming you get your own lunch, don't buy coffee etc.

On the other hand - if you're looking to build a career as an employee in the online marketing world, it's good on CV.
 
Do some comparables. Look up other job postings that are similar to the job you are offered and see if they have any wages beside them. A lot of job postings will actually tell you what they wage will be. See if they are higher or lower then yours.
 
30k is way to low unless you are just starting out of college. I made more than that at my first two jobs out of college with no experience at all. I certainly would not to it now with the experience I have now, you shouldn't either.

As for how to ask for a better salary just tell them you want more. lol Seriously they asked you what you think your worth. If you say 32k is ok then that's it. But if you tell them you are looking for X amount more then back it up highlighting your experiences and prove you are worth it.
 
Since you think they really want you thats good for your negotiation.

Do something I call "number setting" - Tell them your damn good at what you do and on your own, in your spare time you make double that. Tell them you were looking for more like $xxx,xxx which will probably scare them but maybe they'll counter you with high $xx,xxxx because now they think their getting a deal (because you set that six figure number in their head) - It may work, it may not but I say its worth a try.
 
55 min commute at $8.60.

So lets call it a 40-60 mile commute (or the traffic equivalent)

that is 2 to 3 gallons (at 20mpg) (one way) = $16 to $25 times 2 = $32 to $50 / day of your $90/day spent on gas.


Sounds like a no go to me. You'll probably end up hating your job real quick.


That said... typically businesses plan on being able to offer up to 20% more than what they offered.

So i'd ask for 10% more and you're probably going to get it np..... if you actually want the job
 
£20k at 17 years of age is pretty good if you ask me - however I would negotiate that you were expecting at least £25k however after 6 months if they like your work your salary go to at least £25k.

I think this will sell better to them as you are young so there taking a chance - and with all that energy you probably have you can slog it out for 6 months and show them your worth. Just don't let them screw you in 6 months time though! Get it in writting.
 
Ummm, you do know is a commission based job, right? Sorry, but I'd be surprised to find out it's a conventional job where you're getting a monthly salary. Sounds like the typical, straight out of the book methods used to get commission based affiliates.

More than likely, during your "telephone interview" (it's more of a sales pitch than an interview), you'll get told you'll be working on commission, not salary. You'll also get told how absolutely amazing the company is, and if you work for them, money & champagne will fall from the clouds, and life will be just bloody blissful.

Moral of the story: Be skeptical.
 
Sounds like your salary is going to be wiped out on gas... err petrol prices. Sounds like a waste to me, if you really knew "automation" you'd be worth a whole lot more than what they are offering.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I think the job title's a bit of bullshit tbh, I looked over the job specs, and I can't really see any automation about it - just involves basic html, doing basic wordpress stuff, and managing a few online ad campaigns.

I'm very conservative when it comes to this sort of thing. I suggest you take the job without further negotiations. That way, you have a job. In the event that you choose to stick with the job, you can request a salary increase later on down the line. Should you make it big in online marketing, you can always quit the job.

My concern is that your requesting more money might encourage them to find someone else (who is requesting a cheaper rate of pay). The economy isn't at its finest point.

Either way, best of luck.
I'd considered that option - taking the job, getting them some sweet results, then go "look, I've generated you x ROI, I think I'm worth more than this"

The last part is what I'm worried about.
Credit card in the rents name?

As far as the salary negotiation, find ways to prove that you're worth more than $32k to them. Prove that you'll be able to increase their gross sales $32k/month.
Not sure they'd go for that tbh. My mum has enough money problems as it is, and I'm not sure my dad trusts me enough - he's never been late/defaulted on a payment in his life.

Good plan, thanks :)
$32.5k = 90$/day

Dude, just set up 10-15 micro niche sites and do some solid SEO, they would give you a steady $90/day after 2-3 months and meanwhile you can expand your paid traffic skills & knowledge with your own testings and PPVPlaybook.

It is possible because this model started working for me. Remember that in internet marketing your income level will increase every year in a big way.
Yeah, I do have a selection of micro-niche domains. Problem is, as you said, that's 2-3 months, I can't wait that long tbh. I need to be paying rent, and (partly because of epic's screwups) I have a measly $20 in my bank account atm.

At least this might give me some nice extra experience, as I should hopefully have a nice ad budget to play with.

I have no intentions of straying away from IM, it's just this may help (plus I can hire Indians with the money to write content for the niche sites)

If you want to take the job, call the HR guy back and say you've done research and ask if they'd be comfortable with paying you $X. Suggest that your number is closer for those with your skill-set. Don't demand it, just ask. If they say no, you can ask how close they can come to your figure, settle for their number, or walk away.
That's the thing though, I really don't want to walk away. If it would mean possibly jeopardising the chances of getting the job, I'd settle for the salary they offered.
Yep - get "Secrets Of Power Negotiating" by Roger Dawson. I think it's on PDF if you hunt around, but I have a hardback copy.

Read it all in one sitting (about 3 hours) - it's very easy to digest.

Profit. (that book has made me a fucking fortune in the 10 years since I've read it)

20K is a derisory salary for that job. After tax & NI you'll be left with less than 1125 a month in your bank account. After motoring costs, that's 925 a month, assuming you get your own lunch, don't buy coffee etc.

On the other hand - if you're looking to build a career as an employee in the online marketing world, it's good on CV.
Nice one, thanks, I'll have a hunt for that, and read it today :)

That's what I thought about the salary too. Now I think of it, I think I can probably negotiate higher than that. For the money, I doubt anyone applying will have comparable real-world experience.

No plans to become an employee longterm - this is definitely a temporary thing.

Thanks :)
Do some comparables. Look up other job postings that are similar to the job you are offered and see if they have any wages beside them. A lot of job postings will actually tell you what they wage will be. See if they are higher or lower then yours.
Good point, will do, thanks :) I found the job I got called about, and yeah, it doesn't mention anything. They seem to be paying more for some lower level positions though, so yeah. I'll have a look though at other companies salaries for similar.
30k is way to low unless you are just starting out of college. I made more than that at my first two jobs out of college with no experience at all. I certainly would not to it now with the experience I have now, you shouldn't either.

As for how to ask for a better salary just tell them you want more. lol Seriously they asked you what you think your worth. If you say 32k is ok then that's it. But if you tell them you are looking for X amount more then back it up highlighting your experiences and prove you are worth it.
kk. And I'm not out of college, in fact, didn't finish secondary school hehe, left last december. I got good grades in my GCSEs though (last summer, aged 16)

And thanks for the advice, nice and concise :)
 
Just tell them right away that it is low for you because of the drive, either raise it up or let you work from home a few days a week... Unless you plan to move closer in the future if you like it, then just say 40k and lets start.
 
Since you think they really want you thats good for your negotiation.

Do something I call "number setting" - Tell them your damn good at what you do and on your own, in your spare time you make double that. Tell them you were looking for more like $xxx,xxx which will probably scare them but maybe they'll counter you with high $xx,xxxx because now they think their getting a deal (because you set that six figure number in their head) - It may work, it may not but I say its worth a try.

This. As long as you're OK with the possibility of scaring them off and not hearing from them again.