Do You Want To Make 71K As An "Online Marketing Manager"?

I met one of the teachers of a similar program at a community college in Houston. She was doing some websites for a friend of mine. He was very proud because his webmistress was a college teacher.

When they tried to call me a webmistress, I said, "UH, it's ok - that sounds rather kinky, and I prefer to be called an online publisher."

I don't know if this is common, but she was stuck in 1999 with her meta tags, lack of concern for backlink strategies, and love of godaddy hosting.

I tried to make a few suggestions and she got very offended, so I slunk off.
 


I've always wondered that!
They even have minors for it at some large universities. I also can't help but wonder if I'd make a good professor.

They had an SEO guy in the Atlanta area (will not say the company's name because the guy was actually pretty nice) come in and Guest Speak for a graduate course I had last fall. I spent half the speech asking him clarification questions and we had a lovely talk :)

I was going to remain quiet, but I laughed hard when he was saying that you shouldn't do blackhat techniques and then immediately proceeded to tell the class about him using CSS image swapping to replace text on the page for a client's site. I nipped that in the bud fast.

So glad he's my competition.
 
I think a lot of you seriously overestimate the competency of the rest of the world. People who have the ability and are motivated enough to actually go out and teach themselves something on their own are pretty rare. It may not seem like it here, because most of us are like that. What we do intimidates a lot of people and many don't know where to start.

Is this really any different than what every technical school in existence does? Could you get your MCSE (or learn how to fix motorcycles or build websites or whatever) studying on your own? Of course you could, but ITT / Devry / Etc spoon feed the information and some people need that.

Instead of bitching, figure out how to monetize all the clueless people out there who would line up to hand you money for you to teach them 20% of what you know.
 
This is like trying to teach day trading in college. Wonder how this tuition sells though.
 
Girl in the video looks like this
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SejnnSRXgz8"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]
 
Interesting to know the gurus teaching there.

Only a loser can think to become an internet marketer attending to old time schools or universities.... and the world is full of losers.
 
90% of people there won't be on their own $, but their employers.

Obviously we know the only way to learn IM is to practice it, but for an employer with 'ambitious' staff, this is the perfect thing to distract them with. Have seen people requesting these kinds of courses at previous jobs.
 
Lol, probably not. This guy started the company himself with a friend. It's been around for several years.

Yeah, nobody with any kind of sense would have taken that job. My guess is that he's probably one of the local guys that are killing it in the area. Good for him and then, though. I half-heartedly considered looking into grabbing up some local clients for about 5 minutes and then remembered how much of a pain it was dealing with them when I lived somewhere else. I'll let them have the fun.

There are some other guys on WF from the area. Do I smell an Atlanta WF meetup in the future?
 
I'd take the productivity of a couple $300/mo Filipino workers over somebody graduating from that "school".

Agreed.

I'd never pay someone 70k a year to do SEO.

On the flip side, I'd decline 70k as a job offer for SEO.

Which doesn't make much sense but it is what it is. lol
 
In SF, can't you make 70K flipping burgers?

Ha. Only if you are dealing on the side.

Minimum wage in San Francisco is $9.79, which seems high compared to a lot of places until you try to get an apartment.

A lot of these courses are also paid for by employers to teach an existing marketing person some new skills. Kind of lame, but seen as safer if the existing employee is trustworthy -- they will learn some new skills, like that the company is paying for it, and you won't have to deal with one of the many sketch seo consulting firms. ;)
 
lol, that was my last title (Online Marketing Manager).

All I can say is affiliate / blackhat marketing is a different beast than corporate marketing in my experience. If you excel at the former there's pretty much no reason to go looking for employment as you wouldn't be paid enough, but it also doesn't mean you would automatically be awesome in the corporate world.
 
You think the people teaching those courses have any real clue what they are talking about?

Same logic applies

You think all the professors teaching accounting all have CPAs ?
You think all the computer science professors all know how to code great software?

Not so much, they are there just to teach the basics, to advance in the field, you are on your own.
 
I'd take the productivity of a couple $300/mo Filipino workers over somebody graduating from that "school".

Yeah, but are you going to take those same Filipino workers with you on client meetings to explain what you did that month? Are you going to have those workers in contact daily with clients? Are you going to have your Filipino workers present your IM strategy to your board? I'm going to guess no, unless you have some really hot female workers that speak good English.
 
...unless you have some really hot female workers that speak good English.

259329614_b76502227e+rose_x.jpg


Mmmm. She can be my SEO assistant.