Fasting



I was tempted to point to my half-medical background, but that only helped while researching.

On the phone right now, will grab some links for you later. (my research was back when I was youngish, so it was book based back then)

::emp::
 
So much can be fixed by diet, but the medical community would rather give you a pill or a shot. Diet is just not for weight loss.

That's bullshit. The medical community would rather people not be giant slabs of stupid unwilling to even consider their own health, but that ship sailed 40+ years ago. Most people won't make an effort, thus the necessities of easy.
 
Yes, as I pointed out before.
I think it is a great spiritual / mind thing and it does not hurt if done right.

I liked the mind over body and "I am hitting reset" mindset of it.

Detox, however, it does not.

::emp::
 
Whatever you do, remember to keep up some light exercise.

I know how much it sucks, but it keeps everything working properly (circulation, blood pressure, etc..) and prevents you from loosing too much muscle.

I'm actually way more active than is recommended. Everything I've read suggests staying at home and doing nothing.

They say that the more you exert yourself during a water fast, the quicker you're burning your muscles which have nothing to regenerate with. Your theory that the opposite is true doesn't really make a lot of sense, no offense.

PS. The "science" behind "detoxification" is also mostly bull... found that out but later.

From what I understand, there is no science because the federal government refuses to recognize fasting as beneficial to health and all other data is based on case studies from supervised fasts.

But it just seems logical and common sense to me. If you are locking down anything entering your body and letting your digestive system rest while staying hydrated, it only makes sense that the body would use that extra time to fix stuff here and there, using the water to flush it out.
 
When I fast, I have a lot more energy, although it is harder for me to concentrate (think). I tend to move around a lot more, and I am sure some of you guys have noticed how much deeper sleep is.

The book Willpower makes the point that concentration and self control are tied to glucose levels.
 
When I fast, I have a lot more energy, although it is harder for me to concentrate (think). I tend to move around a lot more, and I am sure some of you guys have noticed how much deeper sleep is.

The book Willpower makes the point that concentration and self control are tied to glucose levels.

Did you actually enter ketosis even though you were drinking maple syrup?
 
Did you actually enter ketosis even though you were drinking maple syrup?
No.

You gotta remember, I am only eating a couple tablespoons of maple syrup diluted in water with fresh lemon juice. It's not a lot of food.

In fact, I tend to underconsume when fasting, and so many days I might be only getting 250~300 calories.
 
No.

You gotta remember, I am only eating a couple tablespoons of maple syrup diluted in water with fresh lemon juice. It's not a lot of food.

In fact, I tend to underconsume when fasting, and so many days I might be only getting 250~300 calories.

Ok, you were probably doing a different type of fast then. From everything I've read, ketosis is where a lot of the purification and detoxification occurs, so maybe you were doing more of a digestive system cleanse fast.
 
Ok, you were probably doing a different type of fast then. From everything I've read, ketosis is where a lot of the purification and detoxification occurs, so maybe you were doing more of a digestive system cleanse fast.
Indeed, I was flushing and resetting my digestive system.

And, I like the mental component of fasting. At the end of my 21 day fast, I felt bad I had to start eating regularly again.

I enjoy the fasted state very much.
 
i've done 2 3-day juice fasting. 95% veggies 5% fruits.

felt amazing on my 3rd day. but i ate steak on my 4th day.

cheerz.
 
I fast nightly for 7-9 hours.

27878406.jpg
 
Love fasting, don't really care about weight loss or observable health benefits, but love how I feel, and it helps me reset my eating habits. Personally, I buy into the idea that fasting increases health, but it doesn't really matter to me either way.

Physically, psychologically and spiritually, fasting makes me feel excellent.