Good/Bad in declaring income to Girlfriend



Yes having joint bank accounts should be only when working together then she will spend with care. Otherwise you will be saving there and she will be using it for useless purposes.


Interesting. I'm going to guess it all comes down to how long you've been together and how serious the relationship is. Once you've been together for some time, especially if you're married, then I think managing finances together is part of having an open and honest relationship usually with joint bank accounts... unless, I guess, you've got a trophy wife that doesn't work and only spends her days spending your money. I couldn't imagine hiding what we make from one another and keeping "yours" and "mine" bank accounts. That's just fucked.
 
Yes having joint bank accounts should be only when working together then she will spend with care. Otherwise you will be saving there and she will be using it for useless purposes.

Once again, if you've got a trophy wife that doesn't work and who gets a weekly allowance from you then yeah, I can totally see keeping the books under wraps. If she's going out and working every day and bringing home a paycheque to support the household, or if you happen to work together, then I can't really see how keeping finances secret would work.

Make sure if you get hit by a bus tomorrow that your hidden bank accounts are in the will though!
 
I knew a few of you would not like it another thing I've learned after 20 years marriage is To each his own.

You really don't need to like it.

Roll with what works for you!
 
You two are nuts. You're in a relationship with an exit strategy planned basically. Fine if you're just dating some chick. Fucking weird if you've been married with kids for 20 years.

Next you're going to say that you didn't sign a prenuptial agreement and don't believe in structuring your joint asset ownership through trusts right?

Being financially astute and deceptive are two different things.

I don't have to tell someone if one of my businesses made X,XXX,XXX last year if I don't want to. I'm simply have to provide a certain quality of life. The only people who see my balance sheets for everything are the tax attorney, accountant, and personal banker.

The misses only needs to know that everything is taken care of and nothing is too far out of reach.

She knows what I do, she doesn't need to know the particulars.

Again, this all boils down to how much you have.

The more you have the less you should disclose. If you only made 180K last year and you have children to put through college and a mortgage for $400,000 you're probably going to be forced to disclose everything to make it work.

But, if you sold something and net a dollar amount that won't directly affect your quality of life in any way you don't have to share anything.

I don't know about you, but when I talk about my work: (Look at the username for a hint) the misses gets bored.

Leave work at work.

Period.

EDIT: This rule applies even more if you're losing money. The Captain of the ship doesn't have to tell the passengers of every little, possible fuck up that may occur or have occurred.
 
You two are nuts. You're in a relationship with an exit strategy planned basically. Fine if you're just dating some chick. Fucking weird if you've been married with kids for 20 years.

I'll tell you fucking weird...my parents got divorced after being married 25 years. You never think shit will happen to you, until it happens to you.

But anyways, imo, relationships are built on trust. Without it, you got nothing.
 
anything above 5x what average person makes in your country, keep it to yourself.
else i see no reason to disclose it if it's serious.
 
no i have never said about my income to my girlfriend..don't do so as if you have told her about your income her desires may increase and when you don't earn the money as much now you are earning you may not satisfy her desires at that time..so think before you reveal it to your wife or girl friend..