How to monetize a radio show

patrick24601

The Action Man
Jan 29, 2007
640
6
0
My friend (cough) just signed a 13 week contract to be on the air on a local AM + FM + Web radio show (all three at once). My friend (cough) will be on for 1/2h on Monday and an hour on Sunday. My friend is looking for some ideas as to how to monetize. Main topic is tech & small biz marketing online.

Ideas:
- Directing people to site to hit the affiliate links
- Get people to signup for newsletter and feedburner feeds

What else?
 


Tell him to buy something for his cough. It will be hard to perform on air if he can't speak.
 
What about those voting deals I always hear about.

Like, "Vote for your favorite song - just send a text to 1-333-333-333 with the name. Charge of $0.50 applies <- (in quiet, muffled words of course)"

Don't the radio shows get a cut of that $0.50? Maybe not, but I am sure they must get something out of that - just thought I would throw that out there...
 
Thanks OneCent. I don't know what they'd vote for but I'll look into it. Can't be music because it is a talk show. But I'll see where I can work that in.

So far I am thinking:
- Mailchimp email list for contests
- Live chat room during the show via ParaChat Chat Software - Since 1996. Their paid version allows you to put banner ads at the top/bottom of the chat room
- Text messaging signup for contests via Trumpia
 
if its a tech/biz type group:

register a easy to remember domain
create opt in list LP (maybe brand it as the radio show)
gather email
send hosting, seo, biz, whatever type offers you could think of

it also depends on how well your friend (cough) could convince listeners that they'd be missing out if they didn't signup during the show