How yall deal with havin a cool idea...



Take the idea, slap on a $1 million dollar valuation and head over to Shark Tank. Specifically ask Kevin O'Leary for his opinion.
 
I think I have the $ to at least do beta


But man I need to get rid of that "keep shit to myself" syndrome...I'm constantly paranoid with someone stealin my ideas...you should see websites I give to coders

I do them all fucked up with blank images and lorem ipsums, never ever did I send the material in actual form, I give it all messed up and rearrange it after they do their part lol
This is where you get a lawyer and an NDA. Not a sample online, not a "free" NDA. An actual lawyer.
You're looking for a real programmer here as well, not just a website designer. It may be a good idea to have him as an actual employee rather than just a contractor depending on what upkeep will look like and how long it will take. You may actually have to interview people as well.
A real application is not the same as a landing page. You want someone who is going to be around, know the nooks and crannies of the code, and possibly even give a damn about it.
 
One time I bought a car for $400 to drive back and forth to work. I drove ti for about a year, and the tires started going bald. So I got a set of tires for about $500.

A month later, one of the wheels fell off.
 
This is where you get a lawyer and an NDA. Not a sample online, not a "free" NDA. An actual lawyer.
You're looking for a real programmer here as well, not just a website designer. It may be a good idea to have him as an actual employee rather than just a contractor depending on what upkeep will look like and how long it will take. You may actually have to interview people as well.
A real application is not the same as a landing page. You want someone who is going to be around, know the nooks and crannies of the code, and possibly even give a damn about it.

Nope.

NDA's are for the most part stupid.

Good luck enforcing one in a court in the event it is broken, too.

The key to your success is sharing your idea. Unless you talk to people you will not find out whether your idea is any good or not. It's the first step in validating your idea.

The whole point of a start-up is to find product market fit. Once you have found product market fit, you scale.

Product market fit means first finding a problem your market has.

Secondly, coming up with a product to solve the problem your market has.

Then thirdly, going out there and taking your product to the market, and having the market prove that your product solves their problem.

Most people approach the whole problem from the wrong angle, and come up with an idea, then try to find a market which will accept it. I've made the same mistake myself. You need to adapt the idea to the market, not the other way around.

In order to save yourself a lot of money you therefore need to start finding out if your product could help your target market now.

That doesn't mean walking up to friends/family and asking them, they'll all love your idea. Reach out and find people who won't be afraid to upset you.

To be honest, from that perspective, there's no better place than WF.

You don't need a product or website to validate that people actually want it.
 
One time I bought a car for $400 to drive back and forth to work. I drove ti for about a year, and the tires started going bald. So I got a set of tires for about $500.

A month later, one of the wheels fell off.

Did you fix it?
 
But man I need to get rid of that "keep shit to myself" syndrome...I'm constantly paranoid with someone stealin my ideas...you should see websites I give to coders
David Friedman has a great line (paraphrased)

"When you're young, you worry that people will steal your ideas. When you're old, you worry they won't."

Share ideas. Trust me, you will have millions more of them.
 
Nope.

NDA's are for the most part stupid.

Good luck enforcing one in a court in the event it is broken, too.
Hurr durr. If you have a secret worth protecting and worth the effort, you actually can enforce it. NDAs are pretty mandatory if you're serious. They've saved my ass from some complicated situations in the past.
Example of one being enforced: Apple settles with 'worker bee' - CNET News

The key to your success is sharing your idea. Unless you talk to people you will not find out whether your idea is any good or not. It's the first step in validating your idea.
There's a big difference between sharing the idea itself and sharing the level of knowledge a programmer is going to have about the project.
You're talking about what the idea is, I'm talking about how it will work.
You can get an idea about the market for the product is with relatively little detail.
 
Hurr durr. If you have a secret worth protecting and worth the effort, you actually can enforce it. NDAs are pretty mandatory if you're serious. They've saved my ass from some complicated situations in the past.
Example of one being enforced: Apple settles with 'worker bee' - CNET News

There's a big difference between sharing the idea itself and sharing the level of knowledge a programmer is going to have about the project.
You're talking about what the idea is, I'm talking about how it will work.
You can get an idea about the market for the product is with relatively little detail.

From his post though, it's not a full blown technical solution we're talking about. Of course for technical solutions and such you have NDA's. I meant that people that hand people business plans and get them to sign an NDA, that kind of shit. In those cases it's pointless.

I'm talking about a high level, the "I've got this idea for a website where local restaurants can order all their meat from local butchers, and we act in the middle to get them the best meat from the area and deliver it" (random, crappy idea but you get what I'm saying).