I can't focus, I think I have ADD

It's his choice and he's going with turbolapp, said and done! :)

Seriously though, I didn't read uplink's advice as "tough it out" but rather "don't misdiagnose/mistreat..." -- what is wrong with that advice? The part about trusting doctors is the catch-22 of course but that is big can of worms...
Right on, man. If you think that's what's right for you, then good luck. I took adderall for a full year before I started to have doubts about the need for pill-shaped motivation; at the very least I hope you'll keep a journal of how it's effecting you, so you can look back on it.

One minor point-- When you go to your doctor to talk about it, look on the pens, the padded paper, and the doctors labcoat for anything with the Phizer logo. If you see any paraphernalia from any company that produces the drug you're interested in, LEAVE, and SEEK OTHER ADVICE. I understand that this might mean you visit 50 different doctors before you find one that's not on Pharma's payroll, but deep down you know I'm right.
 


Here, problem solved:

Download a free web filter. Create a work login on your box. Block categories that aren't related to you handling your business on that login. If certain sites (Wickedfire, etc.) don't get blocked because you leave a category open to get to Webmaster shit, block them individually.

Now your options are to sit with a blank screen and do nothing, log off and back onto another account to waste time (which gives you tons of time to realize you're doing something wasteful), or get your work done. Problem solved.

Oh yeah- and block Godaddy too because you shouldn't be using any of their services.

I wish this could fix my problem, but instead of ESPN and Wickedfire, I will go to buy a domain and then end up spending 5 hours doing keyword research and buying a bunch of domains and completely lose focus on the original project I had intended to work on. Tell me how to solve that one.
 
All of Uplinked's responses

I hear ya buddy, I definitely do. Doctor's have always been one of the biggest affiliates in the game, with big pharma making literally hand over fist because of them. I have a scrip for addies, and I met with a psychiatrist for about 10 minutes to qualify for them. He doesn't know me, doesn't give a shit about me, and definitely didn't spend enough time to make sure I wasn't depressed or anxious or had a personality disorder. He barely even fucking looked at me.

That puts everyone in a tough spot when it comes to getting medication for these sorts of issues. I guess I should have been clearer when I posted originally, because I was leaning more towards going and meeting with a therapist.

The thing about therapists is that you tell them every little detail about your life, and they have NO connection to you outside of that little room. You might have friends you can talk to and tell about your life, but at the end of the day, they're still friends, who have you seen you drunk, in class, at work, whatever. They have biases. Therapists are all business. I went to a therapist for a while (fuck you parents) and she absolutely did not want me to go on amphetamines. She instead had me meditate and focus and just plain slow down.

Here's the downfall of therapists though. Unless you're a schizo or have something going on that's out of your control that can be picked up on by an observer, they only know what you tell them about yourself. I realised that one session, and the whole program immediately became a joke to me, because I knew that I was smart enough to control the entire discourse. I never went back after that.

My advice? Start gardening. Yeah, super gay, but I started doing it recently, and let me tell ya, doing something that won't show rewards for 2 or 3 months is such a huge change from "why the fuck is ssh taking 3 seconds to log in?!?!" that it really slows you down and keeps you grounded (pun so intended). Start slowing your life down, we're all too stimulated all day to really calm down and slow down.

tl;dr

ampetamines in the long run are bad, they're just legal speed, your heart will hate you eventually. If you're actually depressed and maybe fuck around with xanex or something, you might just go kill yourself, those commercials aren't fucking around when they say that's a side effect.

So just be careful and take care of yourself.
 
Here's the downfall of therapists though. Unless you're a schizo or have something going on that's out of your control that can be picked up on by an observer, they only know what you tell them about yourself. I realised that one session, and the whole program immediately became a joke to me, because I knew that I was smart enough to control the entire discourse. I never went back after that.

My advice? Start gardening. Yeah, super gay, but I started doing it recently, and let me tell ya, doing something that won't show rewards for 2 or 3 months is such a huge change from "why the fuck is ssh taking 3 seconds to log in?!?!" that it really slows you down and keeps you grounded (pun so intended). Start slowing your life down, we're all too stimulated all day to really calm down and slow down.
Quoted the two paragraphs I like the best --
a) yeah, i did therapy in highschool and a bit of college, and as soon as i realized i was paying someone $300/h to listen to me tell them what my problem is, i realized i could cut out a middle man and just start solving my own problems, if i was serious about problem-solving. therapists provide little benefit, other than making you talk about your life and motives outloud -- which is a pretty important step in keeping yourself mentally balanced, IMO, but you can do it without a therapist.

b) gardening sounds like a sweet idea. i like to grow things, but haven't really done much "not-for-profit" growing, if you catch my drift. i'm all done with that business, sick of the hussle, but i really miss having something green around, actively growing and living and providing constant feedback (in the form of "good job, you haven't killed me yet!"). i'm a real big fan of hydroponics and water works, and i've been wanting an arts and crafts project lately; maybe i'll start a hanging hydro garden in my atrium or something.
 
b) gardening sounds like a sweet idea. i like to grow things, but haven't really done much "not-for-profit" growing, if you catch my drift. i'm all done with that business, sick of the hussle, but i really miss having something green around, actively growing and living and providing constant feedback (in the form of "good job, you haven't killed me yet!"). i'm a real big fan of hydroponics and water works, and i've been wanting an arts and crafts project lately; maybe i'll start a hanging hydro garden in my atrium or something.

Let's get that beer this week finally and I can show you all the stuff I've been getting growing at the office. We still need to exchange office tours dude.
 
Find and watch program from Eben Pagan "Wakeup Productive".
..

You know this was actually beneficial. Find it on a torrent or something, really helped me get shit done. The exercises he has you go through really help clear your mind and focus on what's important and not that which is robbing you of energy.
 
I have hard core ADHD. This has actually served me WELL in this and other computer fields. You need to worry less about "fixing" it and more about embracing and using it to your benefit. Your little "condition" that you dislike so much that normal = fail in other professions is actually a huge asset in any sort of computer field.

Dude your brain wants to and is capable of doing more than one thing at a time. In fact it gets bored when its not fully engaged by at least 3 things at once. SOOOOO just make sure ALL 3 THINGS are something productive. Fire up some audio books to get your ears taken care of. set up a few monitors ( I use 3 ) and get some projects open on each one. If you can grasp this one thing you will be leaps and bounds ahead of your single minded "focused" competition. It's all about how you use it. ;-)
 
I have hard core ADHD. This has actually served me WELL in this and other computer fields. You need to worry less about "fixing" it and more about embracing and using it to your benefit. Your little "condition" that you dislike so much that normal = fail in other professions is actually a huge asset in any sort of computer field.

Dude your brain wants to and is capable of doing more than one thing at a time. In fact it gets bored when its not fully engaged by at least 3 things at once. SOOOOO just make sure ALL 3 THINGS are something productive. Fire up some audio books to get your ears taken care of. set up a few monitors ( I use 3 ) and get some projects open on each one. If you can grasp this one thing you will be leaps and bounds ahead of your single minded "focused" competition. It's all about how you use it. ;-)


My thoughts exactly. ADD/ADHD people tend to be a lot more creative because they are constantly moving, who knows what million dollar ideas are passing through their mind. Embrace it and utilize it, don't take dangerous drugs to try and stop it.
 
  1. My mind says "I want to buy domain"
  2. Launch my browser
  3. while waiting for browser to launch, I start thinking about other stuff, sports, wickedfire and etc (I guess I hate waiting)
  4. Browser finishes loading and I type in espn instead of godaddy.
This happens a lot especially when I am "waiting" for something.

= your subconscious saving you money
 
Weight lifting / Cardio + Good Diet = Cure for ADD

Like diddy said 2 mill on my necklace, bad boy 80 million mothefucking records.
 
Hire this guy as your assistant:

i2rgb4.jpg


Authorize him to slap you whenever you get out of line.

Problem solved.
 
Im in the same situation as you jardini, and tho i havent found a solution Im going to agree with the guys who oppose to pills.
You know, big chances is you dont have ADD and I dont have ADD, just read wiki and it says only 4% of adults have ADD. I bet if you ask anyone on the street if he has problems focusing he will tell you he does.
Its the 21st century where everyone is on the rush for gold but only a few will make it. and if you and I want to make it we got to change our mindset and focus, JUST DO IT.

Im gonna take the advice from this thread and get some filters to block porn sites, youtube, wickedfire.

God, nature, whatever made this barrier in our world that only those who are able to focus, commit to work, has some brain and luck will achieve success.

FTC-hater said it best (in some other thread)...

I respect the semi-hustle you have going on. But if you're between a rock and a hard place you have to reach out, pick what you're going to do, and lock yourself away for awhile.

...If that means writing articles for a dollar even though you deserve to be paid five or if that means you have to cold call every fucking real estate in your city to try and get an offline deal you just got to do it.

"It's a doggy dog world" out there and if you don't enter every day with a fierce passion to succeed you won't - too many people hustle harder - they deserve it more.

^ fucking epic.
 
Are you joking me? Does that sound like what I said? Where did I tell this guy to suffer needlessly?

You said it wad part of the human condition. So in other words, Buck up and deal. Listen it's nothing personal (really there are 50 threads like this one so this is addressing all of those as well) It just rubs me the wrong way when people say stuff like that to other people that may indeed have deeper issues. Especially stuff with anxiety or depression (which as we've mentioned in those other threads sometimes have the same symptoms to ADD/ADHD) They should go to the doctor and discuss it with them. Is the doctor God? Hell no. Should they use there brain and make the best decision for them? Hell yes. True alot of people are sheep and just mindlessly do what authority figures tell them, but I kinda figured since he was on wf he might be different.

Also it would nice if when people say things like "amphetamines are bad for you" that they cite their source.
 
Also it would nice if when people say things like "amphetamines are bad for you" that they cite their source.

lol... seriously?

here is uh few... and just to show this isn't new news... I'll start WAAAAY back.

The Milwaukee Journal - Google News Archive Search <- this news piece was from 1982

for something more recent: 2008
Study finds link between amphetamine abuse and heart attacks in young adults

Or how about this little guy here?
Amphetamines - Better Health Channel.

the important bit to note about the above link is this section:

Physical effects of long-term use
Using amphetamines on a regular basis can lead to significant health problems, including:
Risk of damage to brain cells
Amphetamine psychosis, which includes hallucinations, paranoia and other symptoms similar to schizophrenia. This can lead to behaviour dangerous to the person and to others
Malnutrition, because the drug suppresses appetite
Reduced immunity, due to malnutrition and lack of sleep
Mood swings, depression and panic attacks
The need to use other drugs, such as sleeping tablets, to balance the effects of amphetamines
Aggression and increased susceptibility to violent rages.

Yes this all sounds like a fantastic way to help him make better money online.

Are you high? oh wait.. no you are just suggesting he should be.

I will never understand our generations need to medicate EVERYTHING. And while I realize that everyone has a unique chemical balance... I find it really hard to understand how I can go to iraq twice, afganistan once, live on my own from the age of 14 (even on the streets for 2 years) after going through multiple group homes, and go through a particularly nasty divorce in my early 20's due to my spouse cheating on me while I was overseas... And yet somehow be in a better mental state than half of the whiny college students complaining of "depression". Take a look at the rest of the world OUTSIDE of the U.S. Thank that you won the lotto by being born in the right place... and quit trying to medicate life away.

(feel free to flame me for the above statement.. I'm sure it wont be popular)
 
lol... seriously?

here is uh few... and just to show this isn't new news... I'll start WAAAAY back.

The Milwaukee Journal - Google News Archive Search <- this news piece was from 1982

for something more recent: 2008
Study finds link between amphetamine abuse and heart attacks in young adults

Or how about this little guy here?
Amphetamines - Better Health Channel.

the important bit to note about the above link is this section:

Physical effects of long-term use
Using amphetamines on a regular basis can lead to significant health problems, including:
Risk of damage to brain cells
Amphetamine psychosis, which includes hallucinations, paranoia and other symptoms similar to schizophrenia. This can lead to behaviour dangerous to the person and to others
Malnutrition, because the drug suppresses appetite
Reduced immunity, due to malnutrition and lack of sleep
Mood swings, depression and panic attacks
The need to use other drugs, such as sleeping tablets, to balance the effects of amphetamines
Aggression and increased susceptibility to violent rages.

Yes this all sounds like a fantastic way to help him make better money online.

Are you high? oh wait.. no you are just suggesting he should be.

I will never understand our generations need to medicate EVERYTHING. And while I realize that everyone has a unique chemical balance... I find it really hard to understand how I can go to iraq twice, afganistan once, live on my own from the age of 14 (even on the streets for 2 years) after going through multiple group homes, and go through a particularly nasty divorce in my early 20's due to my spouse cheating on me while I was overseas... And yet somehow be in a better mental state than half of the whiny college students complaining of "depression". Take a look at the rest of the world OUTSIDE of the U.S. Thank that you won the lotto by being born in the right place... and quit trying to medicate life away.

(feel free to flame me for the above statement.. I'm sure it wont be popular)

Thanks but that was all related to amphetamine abuse. As with anything that is abused, there will be negative consequences. I was merely asking that when people say "don't take this drug as prescribed" they back it up with a source. Again, I'm not saying, that maybe those links don't exist (one's that actually support the premise) but I haven't seen one yet in this thread.

edit: maybe the argument here is what is acceptable for possible side effects? Again it's just something needs to be understood by the patient before they reach a decision.

edit2: also at what dose are those links talking about? I'd really like to to read something that was specific and not such broad sweeping generalizations.
 
So... Im guessing you didnt actually read them in their entirety. The first link states that while some doctors will prescribe it the general consensus is its bad for you.

You also need to take into consideration that amphetamines are an addictive substance.. even when they come with a prescription. And they do damage to your heart over the long term... EVEN WITH A PRESCRIPTION.

That little white piece of paper doesn't make it any safer. Just like when doctors prescribe chemotherapy to cancer patients. Just because it might help with your cancer doesn't mean it wont kill your ass in the process.

Here is a thought? Is him being easily distracted when he is fucking around on his computer likely to be a major health problem? No? hmm... how about taking amphetamines? Which do you think carries a greater risk?
 
You also need to take into consideration that amphetamines are an addictive substance.. even when they come with a prescription. And they do damage to your heart over the long term... EVEN WITH A PRESCRIPTION.

That link just spoke of heart conditions and amphetimine abuse I'm still not seeing any evidence of of amphetamines, when received in a normal dosage causing these problems.
 
EDIT:

Here are the listed side-effects of this substance via wikipedia. Note they indicate which are from abuse and which are run of the mill.

Physical effects
Physical effects of amphetamine can include reduced appetite, increased/distorted sensations, hyperactivity, dilated pupils, flushing, restlessness, dry mouth, erectile dysfunction, headache, tachycardia, increased breathing rate, increased blood pressure, fever, sweating, diarrhea, constipation, blurred vision, impaired speech, dizziness, uncontrollable movements or shaking, insomnia, numbness, palpitations, and arrhythmia. In high doses or chronic use convulsions, dry or itchy skin, acne, pallor can occur.[33][34][35][36]

Occasionally amphetamine use in males can cause an odd and sometimes startling effect in which the penis when flaccid appears to have shrunk due to vasoconstriction. Upon erection the penis returns to normal size.[37]

Young adults who abuse amphetamine may be at greater risk of suffering a heart attack. In a study published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence,[38] researchers examined data from more than 3 million people between 18 and 44 years old hospitalized from 2000 through 2003 in Texas. After controlling for cocaine abuse, alcohol abuse, tobacco use, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, lipid disorders, obesity, congenital defects, and coagulation defects, they found a relationship between a diagnosis of amphetamine abuse and heart attack.[39]

Psychological effects
Psychological effects can include euphoria, anxiety, increased libido, alertness, concentration, energy, self-esteem, self-confidence, sociability, irritability, aggression, psychosomatic disorders, psychomotor agitation, hubris, excessive feelings of power and superiority, repetitive and obsessive behaviors, paranoia, and with chronic and/or high doses, amphetamine psychosis can occur.[33]
Amphetamine use in adolescence may impair adult working memory.[40]

Withdrawal effects
Withdrawal from chronic use of amphetamine can include anxiety, depression, agitation, fatigue, excessive sleeping, increased appetite, short temper, psychosis and suicidal thoughts.[41]

All of this sounds much worse to me than being distracted while trying to work. Just sayin.

Oh and here you go. On prescribed does kid dies from heart attact at 14.. because of prescription for ADD medicine: http://www.rense.com/general25/14.htm

here is another:
http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjurycom/2006/02/adderall_heart_.html

In mid-February 2006 came the news that an advisory panel of drug-safety experts recommended a "black-box" warning for Adderall, Ritalin, and the other ADHD/ADD drugs -- and that the FDA was not going to act on this advice, at least for the time being. This situation left many people understandably confused.