Search Google for Acai Berry. The #2 result is a go article. Click on it. See what happens! The dude was running a two step rebill Acai + colon cleanse and was probably banking on the 1,830,000 Monthly Google Searches. Sad Day.
The guy with the ezinearticle has a measly 32 backlinks to his article for #2 on google -- good shit
Last time I checked ;P
Your answer
I don't get that article shit. In one of my niches the # 1 result is an Ezinearticle with ZERO backlinks. WTF? The article has over 300k views and it's been ranked #1 for like 2 years now.
I can tell you with certainty that it was well worthwhile. I sat at #2-7 organically for the top four or five acai terms from about mid 08 - mid 09.
In fact when google made the change around mid 09 that (or maybe the ezine one) is the article that bumped me. Haha.