Sitting here in an Omaha hospital room, wife is feeding our new baby (9 pounds, 21 inches) and occasionally giving me the evil eye for being on the laptop.
Right after we delivered, we had to wait for a while to get an empty room to stay in for a few days. This is because the maternity section of this hospital is full, full, full.
Evidently lots of babies are born in December - more than any other month - and more babies are born right before Christmas than any other time of December.
Valentine's Day works.
Still, as I watched my wife going through the last few months of her third pregnancy, I observed some familiar patterns that some of our younger, less female-familiar WF members may not have encountered before. Because these are unfamiliar waters, I figured I'd waste a few minutes to throw out some ideas for someone who wants to capitalize a local baby boom.
Nestbuilding - my wife went out and bought several thousand dollars worth of items to fluff her nest - our home. Hitting up pregnant (and irrational) women whose husbands are at work and unable to say no to online purchases might be pretty lucrative. New appliances worked for us, as did unique, portrait-quality baby clothes (not regular baby clothes - they can be found at any consignment sale), baby monitors, wall fixtures, bedding and a few other things I've bought domain names for.
I'd say some good research could be done by hitting up a new mommy forum, posting a poll and asking what they spent time looking for and how hard was it to find. Or doing the yahoo answers thing and asking the same thing.
Babies sell all sorts of crap. Want to sell a car? Put a baby on it in a commercial. Sell a house? Have a baby on the floor. A guy with a baby is inherently more trustworthy to women, so borrow a baby or two if you're going to take pictures of products, or stage some other kind of picture.
Anything that can help soothe a baby, anything at all, will sell. Oh god, people are desperate at that point. Creativity can go a long way here. I can't wait to get to my home computer so I can put some things together and test em.
Right after we delivered, we had to wait for a while to get an empty room to stay in for a few days. This is because the maternity section of this hospital is full, full, full.
Evidently lots of babies are born in December - more than any other month - and more babies are born right before Christmas than any other time of December.
Valentine's Day works.
Still, as I watched my wife going through the last few months of her third pregnancy, I observed some familiar patterns that some of our younger, less female-familiar WF members may not have encountered before. Because these are unfamiliar waters, I figured I'd waste a few minutes to throw out some ideas for someone who wants to capitalize a local baby boom.
Nestbuilding - my wife went out and bought several thousand dollars worth of items to fluff her nest - our home. Hitting up pregnant (and irrational) women whose husbands are at work and unable to say no to online purchases might be pretty lucrative. New appliances worked for us, as did unique, portrait-quality baby clothes (not regular baby clothes - they can be found at any consignment sale), baby monitors, wall fixtures, bedding and a few other things I've bought domain names for.
I'd say some good research could be done by hitting up a new mommy forum, posting a poll and asking what they spent time looking for and how hard was it to find. Or doing the yahoo answers thing and asking the same thing.
Babies sell all sorts of crap. Want to sell a car? Put a baby on it in a commercial. Sell a house? Have a baby on the floor. A guy with a baby is inherently more trustworthy to women, so borrow a baby or two if you're going to take pictures of products, or stage some other kind of picture.
Anything that can help soothe a baby, anything at all, will sell. Oh god, people are desperate at that point. Creativity can go a long way here. I can't wait to get to my home computer so I can put some things together and test em.