JustFU and hellblazer, you need to chill and stop whining.
hellblazer said:
In other words, you're a totalitarian who wants to steal money from one person and give it to whomever YOU deem fit to receive it.
JustFU said:
So, by your logic, every single thing out there should somehow be reformed by the government? After all, I'm sure that a grocery stores number one concern is profit,
Don't act stupid. Both of you. You know that doesn't hold up. Where did I say or imply anything about "every single thing out there"? How does supporting a public healthcare system make anyone a "totalitarian who wants to steal"? Don't exaggerate to such extremes, it only makes you look unreasonable and fanatic.
There are private goods, like those groceries, for which a free market and the profit motive is the most efficient platform, no doubt. There are public goods for which a free market is simply not the best or even feasible solution. Look over the
list of services I gave above for examples.
The question is, should health care be part of that list or is it a private good? Easy to answer. If it was strictly private, you shouldn't rely on other people to pay for you. You go to the hospital, you pay your own bill. Just like when you go to the grocery store. You can't pay - don't go to the hospital! Every insurance effectively makes other people pay for you. That's the whole idea - people pool their money to mitigate the potentially lethal risk for the individual. So it's not a private good from the onset.
OK, so at least we should leave that insurance business up to free private enterprise, right?
Sure, if you want to deal with preexisting condition denials, life-time maximums, annual maximums and all the other crap I listed earlier. Basically anything companies can come up with to take your money as long as you're healthy and bump you off when you get really sick, like
paying their analysts bonuses to find reasons to drop you in the middle of expensive chemotherapy. Welcome to for-profit healthcare.
There's another thing: insurance by nature works better the more people are in the pool. There is almost no point having insurance in the first place when only the sick are in it and the healthy can all waive out. See that guy
Matt in the other thread. Why did he not have insurance?
"I felt relatively healthy and at this age, naievty got the better of me, thinking I was invincible." There are plenty of peeps like him, and it's because of them that my Kaiser Permanente plan currently costs $196/month, but once I'm 65, the same plan will be $1,190. I can see how this is prohibitive for many elderly folks. I'd much rather want to live in a place where young guys like Matt don't have to come begging for donations and where I won't be forced to give up health insurance when I'm retired. That's why participation should not be voluntary.
JustFU said:
You stupid mother fucker. In the country that we live in, almost everything that we do or don't do as long as our actions don't affect others is supposed to be voluntary.
No. My girlfriend doesn't drive. Why should SHE pay for the street that YOU drive on? Can she come to your door and take back the piece she involuntarily paid for, leaving a nice pot hole in front of your driveway? There are plenty of other examples where you are forced to participate whether you directly benefit or not. Just think of all the military spending. Can I please get a tax deduction for opposing war?
JustFU said:
One thing is for sure, nothing the government ever does is make a profit.
Guess what - the government is not in business to make profit. By its very nature it will take money from people and spend it on public goods that hopefully benefit the country as a whole. Sure, there will always be someone who feels shortchanged (Why should *I* pay for the National Park Service when I live on a fucking island?), but that's how democracy works. Majority rules. If you don't like it or if you think there's too much "mismanagement, fuck ups, and blunders", it's very simple: Elect a different government.
hellblazer said:
Free market entrepeneurs are 'greedy profiteers' who must be controlled.
You referred to my example of "over-greedy profiteers polluting our rivers". And yes, I absolutely think such excesses must be controlled. We should have a free market, of course, but, to quote JustFU, do
"almost everything that we do or don't do as long as our actions don't affect others". If you don't see the sense in that, I invite you to move to China, where in the absence of enforced regulations some "entrepreneurs" don't give a rat's ass about the environment and don't even stop short of
poisioning China's babies for their own enrichment. Go
breathe the air in Beijing, take a dip in a
filthy Chinese lake on your day off, brush your teeth with
toxic toothpaste, and have your kids stick
lead-painted toys in their mouths.
I'll gladly stay here where I'm protected from this crap by the EPA, FDA and CPB, which are part of a government which of course "never gets anything right."
JustFU said:
is it just that you don't make enough cash for it to make a difference? ...
my neighbor just added a fucking 1000sq/ft addition onto his house, I'd love to do it right now, but it's not in my budget. I think we should do housing reform so that I can have as many sq/ft as he has. After all, everyone has the right to have a nice place to live right? Everyone has the right to eat? Everyone has the right to drive a nice car?
Like I said above: don't exaggereate to extremes, not helping your case. Nobody said anything about a "right to nice cars". Tell you what though, no I don't currently make more than $200,000 profit to be affected by the new taxes. But even if I did, I wouldn't complain. I live a comfortable life; I do have a
decent car, my motorcycle, all kinds of sports gear, live in a nice place. Beyond that, I'm not obsessed with having, owning, posessing more, more, more. Keeping up with the Jonses (my neighbor extended his house, I want that too) is not important to me AT ALL.
I assume you make >$200,000 profit each year, else why so worried about a tax increase for that income bracket? By any standards, you're wealthy. You should be happy and enjoying your fortune. Instead, look at you guys - all worked up, hateful, jealous of the neighbor, swearing in every post - gosh, sometimes you sound like you're near a heart attack!
My goal in life is happiness and with a comfortable basis, I derive more pleasure out of having time for my family and friends, for
my hobbies and out of helping people in need than from acquiring more net worth or things to possess. If I became a multi-millionaire, I'd probably give most of it away to build hospitals and schools in developing countries or help farmers lift themselves out of poverty with microfinance loans and grants. I say that because I've volunteered in an orphanage in Cambodia one summer and the smile of the children we helped to a life they could never have had on their own, is worth more than any house extension, yacht or private jet. Such posessions don't make me a happier person after the first excitement wears off; feeling the gratitude of some less fortunate than me, knowing I made the place I live in a little better for everyone, does.
I know this is hard to understand when I read things like
compassion, or any other such bullshit.
Yes, maybe compassion is a foreign concept to people who push shady rebills onto the unsuspecting, only to proclaim proudly how "I made it myself", thumb their nose at the "have-nots and downtrodden" implying if only they wanted, they could do the same. Well, guess what, in many ways, we (yes, I don't even want to exclude myself) are parasites to this society. Many of us prey on people who are too "stupid" to carefully study pages of fine print before each $2 purchase. But it's many of those people who go to the factories, work shops, offices each day and actually create things. Create value. What value do you create? What would happen if everyone just tried to skim off of others like we do?