New York to Ban Large Sugary Drinks

I think it was Philadelphia... but in the ghetto the only thing you can buy in most corner stores is processed junk. They sell it cheaper there and make their profits in the richer white neighborhoods. There's no healthy alternative especially when the they make buying the bad shit so easy.

Bullshit. You know why there are so many liquor stores and churches in the ghetto? Demand.

If there was money to be made selling apples and bananas, somebody would set up a fucking fruit cart. The demand ain't there, it's been tried and tried before, but if grape soda and skittles are the only things you can make a profit on, then that's what you're going to sell. If you don't believe me, talk to the corner store owners and they'll tell you.

wtf....if that's true....do you have any sources?

Obama signed the NDRP Executive Order which gives the Government those powers, but I don't know if they've used it yet. He just signed it in March so we need to give it time I suppose.
 


If there was money to be made selling apples and bananas, somebody would set up a fucking fruit cart. The demand ain't there, it's been tried and tried before, but if grape soda and skittles are the only things you can make a profit on, then that's what you're going to sell. If you don't believe me, talk to the corner store owners and they'll tell you.

That's the whole point of that segment in the video.

Corn is subsidized to the point where it's so much cheaper to produce processed foods than anything remotely healthy.

Are you saying if given the alternative, all black people in the poorer areas would choose grape soda over grapes?
 
Corn is subsidized to the point where it's so much cheaper to produce processed foods than anything remotely healthy.

Completely true. Similar for the nasty ass faux meat in places like McDonald's. It's super unhealthy, and dirt cheap because it's manufactured in such volume - such a volume that is only possible using methods that destroy any possible nutrition.

High quality, healthy food is expensive because it spoils quickly, is expensive to produce, and difficult to transport.

Making a proper meal of fresh vegetables and meat will run at least $30 for a family of 4 at home - or they can head down to McDonald's and eat for $12. When you're on a shoestring budget the choice isn't pretty but it is easy when the alternative is letting your kids go hungry.

I have a perspective most people don't; I grew up ass poor, I've been a minority, was poor for a few years of adulthood while I slaved to get out of it, now I live in a ~6000 sq foot home.

I would never assume people are lazy or some such just because they are poor. I've been ass poor. I know what it feels like to have $7 and no idea where I'll get more. I've debated over milk or cheese at the grocery store because I couldn't afford both.

Not every one can pull themselves up like I did. People have different skills, situations, and abilities. Expecting everyone to be like you is wrong, and a very saddening kind of hubris. I wish more people would recognize that others need help, and are often a product of their environment.

We force people to be stupid, we force them to be poor, and then we tell them they are useless because they are what we made them. It's shameful.
 
Unarmed Gunman; You have point here about market demand, but I must say I agree with barman in that education is the key metric here. If people from early ages were educated on the negative effects of processed junk vs. the benefits of quality food - it would alter the demand. Problem is, politicians / government choose quick banning strategies just to make it seem like they care. (Makes them look good for the next round of elections, etc.) "Look, we care about health because we banned some stuff that is bad for you". Puh-lease...
 
Corn is subsidized to the point where it's so much cheaper to produce processed foods than anything remotely healthy.

I agree completely

Are you saying if given the alternative, all black people in the poorer areas would choose grape soda over grapes?

This is about poor people, not black people. I didn't make the assumption everyone in a poor neighborhood is black, probably because I grew up in a poor neighborhood and I'm not black. In fact, there are far more poor white people in this country than there are poor black people. Most of them don't eat healthy either.

To your point though, healthy food is available in poor neighborhoods but due to convenience and cost many people choose to eat shit that isn't healthy. It's not just poor people either - you can find a McDonalds anywhere.

I don't like any subsidies, so I'd love to see corn subsidies ended and maybe that would help bring the cost of shit food back in line with real food. But I also believe in personal responsibility, and I don't know anyone that thinks McDonald's and soda is good for them yet they still consume it.

More government involvement isn't the answer. How much money would you like to take from me in order to tell somebody they shouldn't eat McDonald's because it is bad for them, and to tell them to eat fruits and veggies even though they already know all this shit? That money for those education programs has to come from somewhere. How much of my money are you telling me I should have to pay in order to tell someone what they already know?
 
Making a proper meal of fresh vegetables and meat will run at least $30 for a family of 4 at home - or they can head down to McDonald's and eat for $12. When you're on a shoestring budget the choice isn't pretty but it is easy when the alternative is letting your kids go hungry.


This is a complete lie. A new study by the *gasp* USDA says that it costs the same or cheaper generally to eat healthy food.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-17/healthy-food-cost-USDA/55018070/1?csp=34news

This is assuming, I guess, that your time isn't worth anything. But cost is cost. I'm confident that I could come up with plenty of meals that could feed a family of 4 for less than the cost of eating a shitty McDonnalds meal but you'd have to be willing to put the time in the kitchen.
 
I'm 6'2, 155lbs and drink a full 2 liters of Mt Dew every day.

It's not making me obese; outside of that one vise, I eat 5 times more healthy than the average america - even without trying.

Stupid idea. The public should be made aware of the dangerous things in their food so that they can make their own choices (no one can possibly know what kind of shit is in their food without a little help unless they grow every damn item).

For reals !! you are going to kick the bucket early my friend, quit that shit
 
This is not the governments responsibility... This shit is on the parents of these fat fucks!

If you establish good habits and healthy eating as a norm in your household, your children will grow up and do the same. If you eat like shit, drink soda and are generally unhealthy, your kids will be too in most cases...
 
This is a complete lie. A new study by the *gasp* USDA says that it costs the same or cheaper generally to eat healthy food.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-17/healthy-food-cost-USDA/55018070/1?csp=34news

This is assuming, I guess, that your time isn't worth anything. But cost is cost. I'm confident that I could come up with plenty of meals that could feed a family of 4 for less than the cost of eating a shitty McDonnalds meal but you'd have to be willing to put the time in the kitchen.

It takes effort to actually think about healthy meals, McDonald's is convenient. My guess is that convenience is the biggest factor. Although, once you get in the habit of cooking your meals, it's really not a big deal. Tough to tell people that though, they'd rather sit in line at a drive through for 15 minutes than spend 20 minutes cooking.
 
It takes effort to actually think about healthy meals, McDonald's is convenient. My guess is that convenience is the biggest factor. Although, once you get in the habit of cooking your meals, it's really not a big deal. Tough to tell people that though, they'd rather sit in line at a drive through for 15 minutes than spend 20 minutes cooking.

You're 100% right, I would find that it would be tough for someone to cook every day in a busy family of 4 where both parents had to work. But if you do put in the time and think and plan ahead it wouldn't be as bad as they probably think.

Anyways based on this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html?_r=1

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.
So it's really aimed at restaurants and other public places like sporting venues, and movie theaters. It won't change shit, while giving the politicians some socialist talking points in their next election.

Diet soda is just about as bad as regular, and most "fruit juices" (I use quotes because most of them don't seem to contain fruit) are pretty fucking bad also as they are loaded with sugar.
 
Diet soda is just about as bad as regular, and most "fruit juices" (I use quotes because most of them don't seem to contain fruit) are pretty fucking bad also as they are loaded with sugar.

Yup, and this is why politicians should stay the fuck out of our diets. But you're probably right, it's probably more about talking points during the election cycle than actually trying to change behavior.
 
People need to shift their thinking from the quick fix band-aid mentality (banning sugar) to one of education and prevention. It blows my mind that so many people have no idea what's going on inside their own bodies.

Let the fools have their massive amounts of sugar and give us a healthy living tax credit.
 
Tax the shit out of the processed crap. You want a microwavable TV dinner, or a big mac? Sure, $12. Want some pizza pockets? $15 for 4.

Short term would affect the economy, more unemployment, etc. Long term the economy would flourish due to small farms & produce popping up everywhere, people would be healthier, medical costs go down, etc. Make it worth people's while to buy some veggies and meat, and spend 20 mins in the kitchen. Back in the 50s say, going to A&W was expensive compared to eating at home. Nowadays, it's somewhat the opposite.
 
In 2018, a video will circulate showing a man carrying a soft drink into a restaurant. Several customers will immediately call the police to report the suspicious activity.

A cop will arrive and approach the drink-carrying man. He will demand to see the sales receipt for the soft drink. The man will inform the cop that according to Soliarus v Lockner (2016), he has the right to carry a soft drink into a restaurant unmolested as long as the restaurant owner is okay with it. The cop will persist, snatching the drink away from the man and popping the lid to inspect the contents. He will demand to see the man's ID, a request that is refused on grounds cemented in Poshner v Zolitan (2015).

The video will be posted on WickedFire. Half the members will proclaim the drink-carrying man as a "douchebag who is obviously looking for trouble."

Some members, namely those who love the idea of freedom and detest the existence of the state and its aggression, will defend the man's position. They will be dismissed as keyboard warriors.

The state will smile. For its slaves are doing the heavy lifting for it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Moxie and guerilla
This is not the governments responsibility... This shit is on the parents of these fat fucks!

If you establish good habits and healthy eating as a norm in your household, your children will grow up and do the same. If you eat like shit, drink soda and are generally unhealthy, your kids will be too in most cases...

What happens when children are in school for 8 hours a day?

The "big processed food" lobbies or whatever you call them have their teeth in school lunches and education. Motherfuckin Jamie Oliver yo

It's not just bad parenting. Kids spend most of the day in school with out parents.

Is it shocking that kids get fat because there's nothing but soda and snack vending machines in schools? Is it shocking they become fat little shits when the only option for lunch is a ultra-processed pink slime and pizza?
 
Tax the shit out of the processed crap. You want a microwavable TV dinner, or a big mac? Sure, $12. Want some pizza pockets? $15 for 4.

Why would you tax something that's already being subsidized? Two steps forward, two steps back.

The easier solution is to remove the corn subsidies so the price of those goods goes up ...