New York to Ban Large Sugary Drinks

Dunno where you're from but around here 4 meals at McDonalds would be around $25 (without upgrading to fatty sized drink or fries).

Making food at home will always be cheaper than even the most inexpensive fast food (assuming you are near a grocery, which I do understand is by no means a guarantee), but it's the convenience factor that seals the deal. Preparing a meal for 4 at McDonald's will take all of 3 minutes. When you count the time it takes to shop, store, prepare, serve, and clean, that same meal at home will probably take you all night.

Hard to beat.
 


With diabetes alone costing this country more than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan combined, telling people they can't buy big Cokes seems to me a much more sensible option.

jMfkO.png
 
To Bloomberg's defense:

Some scientists have found that high sugar intake delivers a similar kind of pleasure in the brain that you'd get from some recreational drugs. The problem, then, is that simply "informing" the public just isn't going to be enough to change behavior because people are quite literally addicted to this shit. At this point, you have to balance two evils. Do you:

a) Police people on what they can and cannot eat (a nanny-state)
or
b) Deal with ballooning health care costs which are literally and figuratively crippling our country?

With diabetes alone costing this country more than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan combined, telling people they can't buy big Cokes seems to me a much more sensible option.

People are going to drink the stuff no matter what. Restricting the amount they drink, I think, is a good idea.

Like I said above, the real problem is government subsidies. People will always eat the foods that are easy to consume (e.g. cheap, convenient) and high in calories. This will never, ever change because it's just how we're hardwired to live. So until the government stops making the worst foods the cheapest, I don't see this problem going away anytime soon.

Start charging companies like McDonald's $10 to produce a Big Mac and a Coke (which is probably closer to their real cost when you factor in all the tax money that goes toward paying for corn and meat) and you'll start to see some big changes very quickly.

So...because our government has meddled with the free market by subsidizing both farmers and health care, the only option is for them to start telling me what I can and cannot drink? I don't even drink soda, but this argument is insane.
 
Hey.. Sheeples... Its got nothing to do with giving a shit about fat fucks or health...

Instead, consider the following logic:

They were running out of new ideas to make soda and other awesome tasting sugary beverages seem new, and SEXAY, so the industry decided to lobby Bloomberg and his staff, help him win a new term as mayor (absurd idea before he actually did it), and for their efforts, now people have to buy TWO bottles instead of ONE. That = more profits for the same stupid shit.

I call that clever business dealings. +rep for the big sugary beverage industry in NYC!
 
, telling people they can't buy big Cokes seems to me a much more sensible option.

You do realize that in New York, 17 year olds are told they can't look at Playboy, 20 year olds are told they can't drink beer, and everyone is told they can't use marijuana?

Restricting the amount they drink, I think, is a good idea.

I'm not in favor of prohibition or taxes, but tax increases with money being set aside for health care seems much more sensible than trying to ban or control the amounts of "bad" stuff that people can have. I'm not aware of any cigarette buying restrictions in NY, but what they do is keep raising taxes on them.
 
Hey.. Sheeples... Its got nothing to do with giving a shit about fat fucks or health...

Instead, consider the following logic:

They were running out of new ideas to make soda and other awesome tasting sugary beverages seem new, and SEXAY, so the industry decided to lobby Bloomberg and his staff, help him win a new term as mayor (absurd idea before he actually did it), and for their efforts, now people have to buy TWO bottles instead of ONE. That = more profits for the same stupid shit.

Agreed. From Bloomberg's mouth "We're simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup," NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg said about his proposal to ban sugary drinks 16oz or larger." It's not like the customer didn't have to make a conscious decision before today to buy a 12 oz drink or the 32 oz bladder buster.

It generates more revenue to buy 2 16 oz.(or smaller) cups vs 1 larger cup so the motive seems much more aligned to making these beverage companies/restaurants/nyc more money vs. trying to help or control anyone's health.
 
So...because our government has meddled with the free market by subsidizing both farmers and health care, the only option is for them to start telling me what I can and cannot drink? I don't even drink soda, but this argument is insane.

Of course it's insane. Glance over at the top of the page where you'll see that I agree with you.

I said a few times that the real solution is to cut these subsidies (and to privatize health care), but short of that, the only way to stop people from eating and drinking themselves to the point of disease is to restrict them. Western food is closer to drugs than most people think.

I'm against the government telling us what we can and cannot do with our bodies, and this is no different. But the real solutions won't be happening anytime soon, and while everyone is arguing about "the nanny state," and "freedom of choice," this country is crippling itself with health care costs. I hope that restricting this freedom of choice is a way to stop the bleeding until a real solution comes along--something to do with real incentives like ending corn subsidies or making people pay for their own health problems.
 
You do realize that in New York, 17 year olds are told they can't look at Playboy, 20 year olds are told they can't drink beer, and everyone is told they can't use marijuana?



I'm not in favor of prohibition or taxes, but tax increases with money being set aside for health care seems much more sensible than trying to ban or control the amounts of "bad" stuff that people can have. I'm not aware of any cigarette buying restrictions in NY, but what they do is keep raising taxes on them.

There's one error with all these examples: NYC isn't telling people they can't drink Coke. They're restricting the size of beverages because liquid calories are completely different from solid calories. Liquid calories don't decrease satiety the way solid calories do, so people just keep drinking and drinking without realizing the 200 extra calories they just ingested. This cap will at least limit the damage being done.

Look, obviously this idea is stupid but I'm playing devil's advocate here and saying that a total free market is going to cripple our economy because our brains aren't hard-wired to restrict our caloric intake, and all the health issues that come with unchecked calorie consumption are being paid for out of all of our pockets.

Subsidizing the production of Coke and then restricting the sale of large bottles of Coke is obviously absurd. Perhaps my language was too strong in my original post when I said restriction is a good idea, but it's more sensible than sitting back and saying "let people do as they wish." That's exactly what's happening now and our economy is toppled under the weight of our largely obese population.
 
Hey.. Sheeples... Its got nothing to do with giving a shit about fat fucks or health...

Instead, consider the following logic:

They were running out of new ideas to make soda and other awesome tasting sugary beverages seem new, and SEXAY, so the industry decided to lobby Bloomberg and his staff, help him win a new term as mayor (absurd idea before he actually did it), and for their efforts, now people have to buy TWO bottles instead of ONE. That = more profits for the same stupid shit.

I call that clever business dealings. +rep for the big sugary beverage industry in NYC!
Agreed. From Bloomberg's mouth "We're simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup," NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg said about his proposal to ban sugary drinks 16oz or larger." It's not like the customer didn't have to make a conscious decision before today to buy a 12 oz drink or the 32 oz bladder buster.

It generates more revenue to buy 2 16 oz.(or smaller) cups vs 1 larger cup so the motive seems much more aligned to making these beverage companies/restaurants/nyc more money vs. trying to help or control anyone's health.

I'd agree with the conspiracy if this ban covered convenience and grocery stores (since large soda bottles are usually purchased with the intention of it being shared between several people), but only "food service establishments", movie theaters and street carts (and some sport venues) are affected.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to do this with "food service establishments" and theaters where ordinary people might be more likely to finish a 24oz pepsi or slurpee by themselves while distracted by a conversation or a movie.
 
I'd agree with the conspiracy if this ban covered convenience and grocery stores (since large soda bottles are usually purchased with the intention of it being shared between several people), but only "food service establishments", movie theaters and street carts (and some sport venues) are affected.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to do this with "food service establishments" and theaters where ordinary people might be more likely to finish a 24oz pepsi or slurpee by themselves while distracted by a conversation or a movie.

I think it's perfectly reasonable as well, in order to generate more money for the establishment, the beverage companies, and the city. Some will order the second drink bc 16 oz just isn't enough, and that would generate more money than ordering one 24-32 oz. It's still the same sugary addicting goodness and people that are conditioned to drinking twice the amount that will be allowed in one cup will most likely order the second cup. The ideal that these people will be weened off their heightened liquid sugar intakes by limiting the serving size is exactly that, an ideal.

Granted this is just a theory but I've been around the block too many times to believe that they enacted this strictly in the concern of NY's health. Either way I'm alright with it, it makes me embarrassed to live here when I see someone with a soda or slurpee drink the size of a trash can. If you need a second helping of diabetes you can pay more for it.
 
Too lazy to read that gay article or what officials are deciding.
I live in Soho and no one is fat or drinking that shit.
But the rest of the country should ban that shit just because they don't have
hot models as a benchmark to make them feel like losers.
 
Stop Regulating our pursuit of happiness



[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgbdVihagWg"]Willy Wonka - The Candy Man Can - YouTube[/ame]
 
I agree with what ImagesAndWords said... I can easily cook a good meal for 4 people for under $12.

I see chicken and pork on sale for under $1.99/pound all the time, sometimes the chicken legs, wings, and thighs are under $0.99/pound. 1 pound bags of frozen vegetables are always on sale for $1 at my local supermarket. Rice, potatoes, beans, eggs, and pasta are all cheap.

Since I started to eat healthier and shop for healthier groceries, I have started to think that many people claiming to be too poor to eat better are really just too lazy to eat better.

I hear you, but I think Skyfire was talking about using non-factory farmed, or organic products. The stuff on sale at the grocery store is not that.

The answer of course - is to avoid meat - or if you use it - make it more like a condiment.